cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GOOD SAM ROADSIDE SERVICE ?

Big_Redneck
Explorer
Explorer
We decided to take out Good Sam Roadside Assistance for our MH. I want to be covered just in case I need help. Today I check the Spare tire under the rear of our MH. It did not look very good and old. It was 10 years old and cracked in the center. That tire is very heavy and I need two floor jacks to put the new tire back up in where it goes. Very dangerous to do by one person. Now on the road I could not do. I know that. So I know I need Good Sam to take care of me. The plan I bought cost $219. for a year. I got the works. Is that what you fellows got? I want to be safe on the road.
We don't travel as much as we use to. I guess we are getting old.I want to go out west one more time.
20 REPLIES 20

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
The old good sam wasn't bad. I had it and loved it. Not so good anymore so I got coach net. Used it once for a lock out and was happy.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
maybe but youโ€™re gonna pay for the tire and service call regardless.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

grldst
Explorer
Explorer
I had a blow out on my motorhome, a 2002 Monaco Executive with 295's for tires. I was approximately 30 miles from Birmingham, AL on I-20. Called Good Sam. In a timely manner a roadside service vehicle showed up with a new Goodyear tire and changed it. My cost...$1100.00. Made me wonder why I'm paying for a roadside service. With a google search and a cell phone call, I could have saved some money.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
i can understand how you feel. if youโ€™re handy or if you donโ€™t mind searching for a hook to tow you out of a ditch at 8pm on a sunday night or finding a shop to repair your flux capacitor on a sunday then you can save bucks by self-insuring or using your vehicle insurance road service policy. otherwise what this really boils down to is ginger vs mary ann, jennifer vs bailey, ford vs chevy or tastes great vs less filling. theyโ€™re all roughly the same, use the same providers, make the same mistakes,etc.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Big Redneck wrote:
After listening to all you fellows I don't know what to do.

Compare the features and prices from each plan and decide which one best fits your needs. Allstate/GS, Coach-Net, and Saferide are all reputable services.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Big_Redneck
Explorer
Explorer
After listening to all you fellows I don't know what to do.
We don't travel as much as we use to. I guess we are getting old.I want to go out west one more time.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Check the price and services differences between GS and Allstate Motor Club. Allstate is who GS currently contracts with for their ERS plan.

FMCA and Escapees both offer ERS plans from Saferide Motor Club, a 20+ year old ERS provider with pretty much the same features as GS/Allstate and Coach-Net. FMCA's plan is $69/year plus their $50/year ($60 first year) membership fee, and the Escapees' plan is $99/year plus a $40/year membership fee. For either organization, look at the total package of benefits beyond their ERS offerings when deciding which one is the best fit for you.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Jim@HiTek wrote:
Surprised no one has mentioned Coachnet. The premier road side assistance coverage. Just $170/year and that gets you an on phone technician to help you with mechanical problems as well as tire issues.

I've had both GS and CN and CN wins hands down. They are the best.

Like Goodsam they have about 4 prices with added services I pay $89 a year for the basic service - they towed me off a coastal mountain in California this year - about 50 miles - they had to bring in a truck from 100 miles away
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some are happy, some not so happy with Good Sam's ERS. Remember these do NOT provide service. They simply call a wrecker to assist you wherever you are. Most complaints are because they cannot 'find' a wrecker to assist you even tho you can use google and find one yourself. I had a bad experience with GS and will never use them again. CoachNet IMO is the best service out there in terms of assistance. FMCA is a newcomer to the field and haven't heard either way on them....good luck...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
if i break down in an unfamiliar area i donโ€™t want to chase down a hook or shop to get us back on tbe road. i look at ERS as a form of insurance.
Rich
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

sehunter
Explorer
Explorer
I have had National General for 10 years and pay $1 for each vehicle with full coverage for roadside service. I choose who I want to do the service and pay for it then send the bill to National General and have never been questioned. I'd say that's pretty good.
Stan
2008 Bounder
38P, W24, 8.1L, 3 Slides
2019 tow dolly hydraulic brakes

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I have good sam and they towed me 70 miles. I am satisfied with their service!
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Surprised no one has mentioned Coachnet. The premier road side assistance coverage. Just $170/year and that gets you an on phone technician to help you with mechanical problems as well as tire issues.

I've had both GS and CN and CN wins hands down. They are the best.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
$219 for a year. They are going to love you.

I walked away from GS this year after they started forcing all the motorized RVs into the platinum plan or higher. My insurance carrier provides road side emergency assistance I want at less then what GS was demanding.

All the other stuff they pile on, rental car and hotel discounts, home locksmith, multiple RV's, repatriation of remains and such I really didn't want or need. The never ending barrage of junk mail didn't help their cause either.

I used the service several times both for the coach and the daily drivers. No complaints.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53