cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Pressure Sensor Problem

Art_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
I have the TST 507 monitor. It's several years old and, other than a sensor coming off on the road, I have had good luck with it.

But a few days ago I put them on prior to towing and one sensor beeped and showed the tire leaking. My trailer had been in storage for several months and I had just verified that all tires were inflated to the proper pressure. So it must have been the sensor. I tried tightening it slightly, but that didn't solve the problem.

I called TST and talked with a technician. She told me that probably the stem gaskets need to be replaced. I ordered the repair kit, but am now puzzling over how to replace them.

Has anyone here done that job?
Do the best you can with what you have to work with.

Arctic Fox 22GQ
Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
9 REPLIES 9

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
My wife does vinyl decals. She uses what is call a weeding tool like these. I use the one that has the 90 degree bend to remove the small gasket.

vinyl weeding tools

Art_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Just thought I would renew this post to let anyone interested know the resolution.

I finally gave up on replacing the valve connector seals in my sensors and called TST. The tech rep was very nice, offering several ways to do the job. Nothing worked, so I gave up and sent all the sensors to them. The service tech called me personally and explained that one sensor was bad and he would replace it under warranty. The suprising thing was that none had a seal. Apparently the factory never installed them! So, it is no wonder that I had problems extracting them!

They are working again, and I had to pay around thirty bucks for the work they did.

I have to say that the reps were great to deal with, and I feel that TST is a good outfit that provides decent support for its customers.

Arctic Fox 22GQ
Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Art Davis wrote:
Well, I gotta' ask: How did you guys get this job done? I can't see any way of getting a needle point past the ring to get any lifting force on it at all. Is there some simple thing I am overlooking?

I use an old stainless steel dental pick, the kind dentists use. Other than that, try slipping a large needle tip in between the inner wall of the sensor and the outer edge of the gasket, lifting slightly as you push it towards the center. Be patient, and I find it easier to do with the security cover removed so the sensor doesn't spin.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Art_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I gotta' ask: How did you guys get this job done? I can't see any way of getting a needle point past the ring to get any lifting force on it at all. Is there some simple thing I am overlooking?

Arctic Fox 22GQ
Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab

Art_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Duplicate post removed.

Arctic Fox 22GQ
Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Its a teeny o ring about 3/16 diameter if it's that big....dig it out with a needle or pin as others have said. No need to remove the screw on cover. Better yet remove the cover regardless unless you think theft of sensors is a common occurance...then you can also throw away the stupid wrench.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Art_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks a lot, guys. Your comments help a lot, but I wonder if you could help a bit more by referring to this pic? It is not clear to me just how I get the disk out. Do I have to remove the antitheft cap first? Thanks.

Link to Dropbox

Sorry, I am having problems getting the picture to load, so you'll have to click the link.

Arctic Fox 22GQ
Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The metal on the end of the valve stem can be very sharp and cut into the sensor gasket, so with a fine file dress the end a bit.

The sensor has a plastic thing in the center with the gasket surrounding it. That is what they will send you for replacement. Be extremely careful picking out the old one with a straight pin or needle, because that plastic post is easily damaged.

John_Wayne
Explorer
Explorer
When you get the new seals get an old valve stem and put a SMALL amount of anti-seize on the tip of the stem and thread the new seals on to it so you get a little anti-seize on the seals. When you tighten the senders on with dry seals it cuts the seal and they leak.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH