cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black/Gray tank maintenance

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ever tried Rid-X in your holding tank to help clean the sensors and tanks? Seems like a much cheaper way to get rid of the grime in the tank.

Thanks for your advise.
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty
17 REPLIES 17

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
No one has mentioned/I recommend filling about 1/2 full of water and bottle of Dawn Then drive around to get a good slosh going!
Then give it maybe a day to soak.

catkins
Explorer
Explorer
Rid X is for long term tanks only like - septic tanks. Using LOTS of water and emptying when at least 2/3 full has worked for us for years. We put little paper down the tank and toss daily wet paper out from wastebasket. I use occasional tank chemicals only when storing long term or if it is exceptionally hot. Dawn liquid is great for breaking up grease in the grey tank. Black tank, biggest key is lots of water................ Happy dumping!

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer

After emptying black tank close dump valve. Fill tank and overdose with Dawn disc liquid while filling. Let it set sit over night. Dump again and then use wand inserting in commode slowly twisting wand while slowly going in and out. I can stick a mirror down in mine and see it is spotless after this process.
Dennis Hoppert

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
sehunter wrote:
What the heck is TSP? I don't understand all these abbreviations. I worked for the Federal Government which didn't use this much and they are famous for them.

Everyone has different background - TSP is a common cleaner used by many b4 they paint walls etc - suspect most RVers are familiar with the term.
Kevin

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Forget all the fancy additives. Use lots of water and dump when full. That's all you need.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
TSP is trisodium phosphate, and typically comes (when or where available) in a box labeled "TSP". You might find it in a big box store in the painting prep/paint stripper area, if not in general cleaning supplies. Many places frown on it or ban it because they are trying to limit the amount of phosphates released into the environment (particularly into runoff).

sehunter
Explorer
Explorer
What the heck is TSP? I don't understand all these abbreviations. I worked for the Federal Government which didn't use this much and they are famous for them.
Stan
2008 Bounder
38P, W24, 8.1L, 3 Slides
2019 tow dolly hydraulic brakes

rbrand
Explorer
Explorer
My black water sensor always read "Full"

I tried a lot of of things. Here is what worked for me.

I dumped in some TSP, soap and a black tank chem. Then poured in about 20 gallons of hot water that I hauled form the house. That didn't make any difference, so then I filled the tank right to the top and let it sit for a week.

When I drained it read empty. For the first time in years.
The less you plan the more options you have.

Currently with a 26' Forest River Class "C"

Ex Navy Diver
Ex Archaeologist
Ex Museologist
Actively retired

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I start out every trip using a few dishwasher packs. Specifically I use Cascade Platinum ActionPacs Dishwasher Detergent. I drop 3 in the toilet and 3 in the sink so both black and gray tanks are primed with cleanser. The tanks smell better too.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I have used septic tank cleaner on a couple of occasions - but I let it sit for a couple of weeks during warm weather.
Kevin

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
You can have the cleanest tanks in town. Flushing a couple of times with water is sufficient for me.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
Bag of Ice is just expensive water

GEO method does help clean -----1 cup Dawn Dish Soap/1 cup Calgon Water Softener (can be tough to find). Dissolve/combine in 1 gal water and pour down toilet (or sink drains for grey)
AFTER you have dumped tanks....leave solution in tanks until next dump

Rid-Z is a box of 'enzymes' that devour poop OVER a period of time
RV Holding tanks should be filled and dumped before those enzymes would have time to work
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
We never used anything but water.....plenty of water.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
donn0128 gave you good advice. The GEO method does a good job.
And, it's cheap.
Plus if you are in an area with soft water you do not need the Calgon or the ice.
Turret Class traveler