cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

recreation.gov changing

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
There has been talk for some time of a change for the government reservation system to another system. I am working at a COE campground right now and am involved in the transition training.

Here is what we know as of this date:

You will no longer be able to make reservations at any federal government facility via reserveamerica.com. This change is to be made on 9-30-18.

The link for reservations after the transition will be recreation.gov and the phone number will be the same as it has been 877-444-6777.

When the reserveamerica system is removed on 9-30 the recreation.gov link and the phone number will be unavailable until approximately 10-5. This period will allow moving all historical customer data to the new system. You will not be able to make a reservation at any facility during this period. If you arrive at your favorite facility during this transition period you should be able to check in, but only as a walk in and only for 1 day at a time. No advance reservations will be possible. If you want to stay more than one day you will have to check in each day as a new walk in, but no one will be able to reserve your site from online or phone since these are not options during this period.

This is what we know as of right now so if you know you want to stay at a government facility during this transition period you should make your reservations before 9-30 which will be honored during the 10-1 through 10-5 period.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010
12 REPLIES 12

soot
Explorer
Explorer
I hate reserve ca and everyone I camp with feels the same reserve america is a lot better.

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Thanks for the heads up. I'm a regular and hopefully it will be up and running as we are planning an autumn camping after being back from Europe on the 6th.

Good wishes to everyone out there working on this.

Note: Can you also police so as not to let those who do multiple reservations that block popular campgrounds on the best days/weekends?

If you know for sure where and when you are going I would suggest you make your reservations now and hang on to your receipt. During the 10-1 to 10-5 period we are told we will be able to check campers in with existing reservations, but may not be able to see the reservation online. Bring your receipt.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
Fulltime since 2010

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Interesting. Are you finding the new system better...from your training?

It is a lot more sophisticated than the old system which had been around for a long time. It is hard to tell for sure since the data isn't present yet just the main system with the links we will be using. It looks good at this point, but totally different.
Ed
KM4STL

Fulltime since 2010

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
jbarry wrote:
I despise Reserve.CA. Very user unfriendly!

i totally agree. BIG mistake with the new change. ReserveAmerica was 100x better and easier to use.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

jbarry
Explorer
Explorer
I despise Reserve.CA. Very user unfriendly!

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
Good info. Things change. California dumped ReserveAmerica too and the jury's still out if the new system is better.

I don't think that the jury's still out. No one we have talked to in the community likes Reserve CA, the staffs at Calif. State Parks really dislike it. It is a big typical San Francisco/Sacramento Boondoggle.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Good info. Things change. California dumped ReserveAmerica too and the jury's still out if the new system is better.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always used recreation.gov anyway to avoid paying the reservation fees.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the heads up. I'm a regular and hopefully it will be up and running as we are planning an autumn camping after being back from Europe on the 6th.

Good wishes to everyone out there working on this.

Note: Can you also police so as not to let those who do multiple reservations that block popular campgrounds on the best days/weekends?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. Are you finding the new system better...from your training?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Thanks, Ed. That's good info to know. I have one federal reservation window coming up on Oct 8th, so hopefully any glitches have been straightened out by then.

We have been told that all existing reservations will be good to go, but must be made prior to 9-30.
Ed
KM4STL

Fulltime since 2010

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Ed. That's good info to know. I have one federal reservation window coming up on Oct 8th, so hopefully any glitches have been straightened out by then.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate