cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Scotty Kilmer says the EcoDiesel is the Worst Diesel Ever

jerem0621
Explorer
Explorer
I just thought his comments were interesting. Not sure if you all know of him or not but he has a YouTube channe and claims he has been a mechanic for 50 years. .

Here is a link to his video about Who makes the worst engines.

Who Makes the Worst Engines, Fiat or Hyundai

The EcoDiesel comments come in about 00:03:09 in the video.

What do you all think? Is his assessment correct? Is the EcoDiesel arguably the worst Diesel engine ever?

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~
46 REPLIES 46

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

Don,

This is a 6.7 Power Stroke. It doesn't have any chains.

You are correct Troy, not sure why that engine popped up under 6.7 power stroke :h :S
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

jerem0621
Explorer
Explorer
Moderator, please close this thread. I did not start this post so that a person could be made fun of over and over again. I wanted opinions on his assessment on the ED that is all.
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
First let me say I'm no fan of the 3.0 diesel engine with it's 14 miles of timing chain!

That said, to say it's the worst diesel engine ever made is hyperbole at the very least. Crazy in fact. Does this guy really think the 3.0 is worse than the 5.7 Olds or even the 6.0 Ford? Really?

Come on Scotty! Really?

6.0's are fine once you replace the stretchy headbolts and fix the EGR. The 5.7 was a gas motor converted to diesel. No comparison

MANY more problems with the 6.0L diesel than this; I know it well because I owned one!
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

wireman
Explorer
Explorer
hvac wrote:
I have 2015 eco diesel with 47k miles. The computer shows 32k towing a 28 front bedroom ATC toy hauler. Most of this is a tough run to Oregon and N Cali.

I recently needed the egr cooler replaced, but that's it for issues. It pulls like a mule, no drama, I seldom over get over 2500 rpm with the 8 spd ZF and 3.92 rear end. Full air suspension is incredible. Mileage is the best I've ever had, and I will never go back to normally aspirated towing at altitude.

That all being said, I have the factory extended warranty to 120k miles. This engine can achieve very high numbers of reliability, some over 300k. But, it can tank quickly and most are using a tune to by pass the egr. I'm stock for lots of reasons, mainly because tunes are illegal.

Would I buy another? In a heartbeat. But only if towing is a requirement. That's where it shines.

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel. 30K miles which about half is towing my #5500 travel trailer. Same issue with the EGR cooler.

It is a comfortable towing rig. Towed a lot in the mountains out west and just completed a 2 month, 8900 mile coast to coast towing adventure.

Averaged 13 mpg towing overall. Non towing highway mileage is around 30 mpg.

If it wasn't for towing I probably wouldn't have the diesel.

No complaints so far.

That guy is the poster boy for: to many freaks and not enough circus's. What a bafoon.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
You could get a Cummins. No chains.

Here's a cummins with plenty of chains.

Not the inline 6โ€™s. Could be wrong but donโ€™t think the Duramax uses chains either.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
specta wrote:
I don't know how anybody could watch the entire video.

:S Once he opened his pie hole and I saw all the junk piled up, I shut it down.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
I sure like mine and know a lot of people that like theirs too.

As for the timing chain comment they are no different than any other overhead cam engine. At least it has shorter chains that go from each head to the crank, than a chain from the cam to the crank.
VM 3.0

The Ford 6.7 diesel has one chain that goes from one head to the cam/water pump to the other head and finally to the crank. It fails and it takes out all of the pistons. The 3.0 chain fails and it takes out one head and bank of pistons. Either way you are going to be spending a ton of money if you are out of warranty.
Ford 6.7

Don

Don,

This is a 6.7 Power Stroke. It doesn't have any chains.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
wilber1 wrote:

Here's a cummins with plenty of chains.

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
Scotty is a Toyota fanboy. If it's not a Toyota, it's junk to him. I wonder if he has ever worked on a 3.0L EcoDiesel?
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
6.0's are fine once you replace the stretchy headbolts and fix the EGR. The 5.7 was a gas motor converted to diesel. No comparison

They are both diesel engines right? Yea... its a direct comparison. I'm sure a couple of changes to the Ecodiesel would make it better in some people's eyes, just like the 6.0.

6.0? "Oil Cooler"

Be sure to add a coolant filter, or you quickly get to tear it down from the top and replace the likely-to-be-plugged finned cooler ๐Ÿ˜‰

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
My Mom's twin had a 1980 Cutlass with the 5.7 diesel that was converted over to gas by GM. New fuel lines, gas tank and engine.

Dad ordered a 1981 Cutlass Supreme Brougham Diesel that would not start when he went to pick it up. After changing the batteries two times and it still wouldn't start he walked away for that POS.

I worked for a guy that one of our company cars was a 1980 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham that never got used in the winter because diesel fuel was so bad back then it would gel up and leave you stranded. Happened to me way to many times to count.

That little experiment cost GM a boat load of money and all but killed the diesel market in cars for a long time.

As for the guy that made that video, I agree he should spend his time cleaning his property up and less time making himself look stupid on you-tube.

Don

Yeah, the 80โ€™s certainly were the dark ages for most vehicle manufacturers.

My father was looking for a car, checked out the Dodge Aspen. During the test drive, he could barely keep the engine running. It would sputter and stall every time from a stop.

Japanese cars were no picnic either. They ran pretty well but were prone to incredible rust issues. A friend had a Datsun and nick named it โ€œRust Never Sleepsโ€.

I agree about SK. If I took my car to him and saw where he was working on it, I would run the other way! Incredibly, according to Wickipedia, th guy is worth 1.5 million due mostly to his videos. He must have every penny of it in the bank because he sure doesnโ€™t spend a dime on his yard.

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
My Mom's twin had a 1980 Cutlass with the 5.7 diesel that was converted over to gas by GM. New fuel lines, gas tank and engine.

Dad ordered a 1981 Cutlass Supreme Brougham Diesel that would not start when he went to pick it up. After changing the batteries two times and it still wouldn't start he walked away for that POS.

I worked for a guy that one of our company cars was a 1980 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham that never got used in the winter because diesel fuel was so bad back then it would gel up and leave you stranded. Happened to me way to many times to count.

That little experiment cost GM a boat load of money and all but killed the diesel market in cars for a long time.

As for the guy that made that video, I agree he should spend his time cleaning his property up and less time making himself look stupid on you-tube.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Olds Cutlass with the oil burner. Never had a issue with it and could put 12 boddies in the trunk.

I know the 5.7/6.2/6.5 were pieces if trash, my 5.7 was fine though. The 6.2 not so much.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler