cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

do you guys use the stink packs in the toilet ?

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
The PO left these bags of I assume deodorizer in the bath cabinet, do you guys use these and if so how often ?
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE
41 REPLIES 41

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
We FTd......no chemicals needed....

RVs have vapor barriers, seals, gaskets and vents

When those are functioning properly there is NO POOP/nasty Grey tank smells inside RV.

Nope, none of those things exsist when you use the toilet 'inside' the RV. :W

Ahh, but you must know that that toilet is NOT sealed. When you push the pedal down to open the blade, it's a straight shot to that black tank. No p-trap, no nothing, just a small light angle to connection to base of toilet.

Heck that is how you can tell just how fill that tank is and if you can push it another day!!!

Open flap and shine a flashlight in. If really full you don't even need the flashlight, you are staring right at the stuff!

So if you are pushing the limits of the black tank without chems, in hot weather you WILL get a snoot full of pure sewage.

In Florida in summer? I sometimes have to use two bottles of chems when trying to see how long I can last not dumping!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:

A comment or two in this thread about using products that "break down waste". How does that work without leaving the POOP in there for weeks or months at a time to give the bacteria poop brew time to do its thing? A holding tank is not a septic tank.

Many of the tank chemicals are really the opposite. They are a preservative, not a digester.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

RockyMt
Explorer
Explorer
yes

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:

My opinion exactly. The water only folks simply lost their sense of smell by being lost time smokers, or they don't care about others, or they are just plain cheap.

โ€ฆ. or they really don't have the smells you're talking about. Check your vent and seals.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
You have free "Stink Packs". Go ahead and use them - then decide for yourself if you need them when you run out.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:

Ever been eating your breakfast in the RV at a CG and suddenly get a strong stanky whiff when one of your neighbors are dumping? That's because they don't use chemicals in their tanks.

That said when I used the RV on just weekends I still used the chemicals. Same reason porta potties at events use chemicals. I'd like to see any of you sit in one of those without the blue stuff added! :B

My opinion exactly. The water only folks simply lost their sense of smell by being lost time smokers, or they don't care about others, or they are just plain cheap.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Folks are WAY too OCD about POOP

Well said LOL.

A comment or two in this thread about using products that "break down waste". How does that work without leaving the POOP in there for weeks or months at a time to give the bacteria poop brew time to do its thing? A holding tank is not a septic tank.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Padlin wrote:
We tried them once, one got stuck in the gate, it had never dissolved. We're happy with Happy Camper.

Yep I have had that problem to, sometimes they get that goo packet stuff stuck at the bottom of the toilet and wonder what its doing inside the tank so I only use the liquid stuff now and soak the black and gray tanks once a year with 2 cups of bleach..

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
.โ€ฆ also full-timed and just used water. Boondocked for 10-14 days at a time.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
We FTd......no chemicals needed
Moved weekly/bi-monthly
Fill, dump, add some water back into tanks...repeat as necessary

RVs have vapor barriers, seals, gaskets and vents
When those are functioning properly there is NO POOP/nasty Grey tank smells inside RV.
When one dumps, the sewer hoses have O-rings in fittings so no leaks/no stink

Yes ----one gets a whiff occasionally but no more so or worst then one would experience in a S&B from someone using the bathroom .

Folks are WAY too OCD about POOP
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
i full time, and i use 'happy camper'

anybody who thinks their poop don't stink in their tank

is using an awful lot of water and dumping every couple of days

or has a radically different biology than the rest of us

i full time and i dump every (2) weeks and i NEED to use chemicals for odor control, even if i did not smell it, my neighbors sure would, stinky fumes spread from the vents

X2
What I think is not addressed is "how' one RV's.
If you are a weekend camper i.e. two days out and you are back home vs full time or snowbird, or long stay dry camping makes a BIG difference how we use the blacks tanks, how often they are dumped, and when chemicals are a necessity.

Ever been eating your breakfast in the RV at a CG and suddenly get a strong stanky whiff when one of your neighbors are dumping? That's because they don't use chemicals in their tanks.

That said when I used the RV on just weekends I still used the chemicals. Same reason porta potties at events use chemicals. I'd like to see any of you sit in one of those without the blue stuff added! :B

My drug of choice for the black tank for 10 years and counting.
There are two different kinds in the same package. One works the other doesn't. Look for the words in bold type, "Powerful Odor Control" on the front of box.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I do not use any chemicals while camping, now you may ask what camping is so google it. When I leave the S&B heading to the storage yard, I empty, flush and add a dose of tank stuff. While traveling, just water.

of course there are three hundred eighty six thousand, 600, 21 different posts so gamble, pick one to use.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Poop smells

Chemical poop stinks!

Working vapor barriers and dihydrogen monoxide works

Even thought I had heard about it before I had forgotten about dihydrogen monoxide and had to look it up. I agree that is's great stuff.

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Our black tank vent is about a foot from the bathroom vent. With the vent open and a breeze in the wrong direction, one can certainly smell it inside. No such when using a good chemical destinker. There is no set rule on the use, if you need it, you need it.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA