cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do you place your inside level?

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
When you are setting up at your campsite or RV site where do you place your level?

We have a little round level. We usually set it on one of the refrigerator shelves. Sometimes on the counter. Occasionally the readings are different.

I have read where some people have a level outside, some use a plumbers level, some the app on the iPhone.

Just wondering where you all place your level?
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
38 REPLIES 38

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used 2 levels on our RV, The bathroom door and the upper cupboard door. As long as they stayed open in any position, the coach was level enough. I discovered this after spending an embarrassing amount of money on all sorts of levels, electronic, cell phone or just bubble types.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks Rockhillmanor good call. I ordered my RV-305C RV 5 way surface level last week. Came in Friday. Set it up as you described. Saved time and effort. Now I can put my carpenters level away. Handy adition.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
On a shelf near the entry door, because it is convenient and parallel to the shelves in the refrigerator (within limits of a 6-inch torpedo level). Actually, for the small circular level (much less accurate) the top of the console with my cupholders is close enough and even more convenient if I am trying to level by moving around on the site.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Olddud
Explorer
Explorer
pauldub wrote:
Level your RV and then put stick on levels where you can see them sitting in the driver's seat.

Exactly what I did. I can read the levels while sitting on my "cushion" and know exactly how many inches are needed and where.

RambleOnNW
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a bubble level in the freezer, then use the Stanley FatMax level app in my smartphone to check the level in various places if needed. One time we didn’t have the bubble level for the freezer so I made a level by cutting a paper cup short and put some water in it. Worked well.
2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
I pull into a site, my wife goes and puts a small bullseye level on the floor in front of the fridge. If its no more than 1/8th of a bubble out, are there isnt any real "out of level" perception" we are set
Proud father of a US Marine

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
pauldub wrote:
Level your RV and then put stick on levels where you can see them sitting in the driver's seat.

Xwhatever!

I have a 5er, big level I can see when placing for side to side, then ones by the Landing Gear switch for front to back. That is close enough for me, refer works, I don't roll out of bed, eggs set in bottom of skillet not side. Some people way over think RVing!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer

vtchris
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is in the cockpit, one on the door to level front to back and one on the dash to level side to side. I made sure I was parked level when I place these adhesive backed bubble levels. And double checked with bottom shelf of frig. Now I can level without ever getting out.

dieseltruckdriver wrote:

Oh, I am not saying it can't make a difference, but they do it every single time. There is definitely a time and place for them as you said, I just don't see it being needed more than once or twice in an rv. Like I said, I just laugh to myself. People being different is what keeps life interesting.

🙂 🙂
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use our bathroom door. It it stays open in most any position, we're good.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Another method for leveling an RV is by using the old "eye ball" method. Being an armature carpenter (never been paid for my work, sure have done my share of it), I've learned how to eyeball two objects and get them perfectly straight.

Well, when backing or pulling into a camp site, I went through a phase where I'd look for a straight vertical (up and down) object in the distance and would "eye ball" the end or side of trailer until the object and the side of the trailer were perfectly parallel. This worked GREAT for side-to-side leveling.

Then that process was shot to pieces they time we decided to spend a few days on the in-laws farm. I parked the camper in the barn lot and I eye-balled it absolutely perfect parallel with the corner of the barn. I was so proud of myself. I lowered the stabilize jacks, got everything all set up and then entered the camper and OMG! I thought I was climbing Mt. Everest.

So, I went back outside and looked at my "eye ball" parallel perspective. Didn't make sense, perfectly parallel.

Then it hit me! OH Dang! The entire barn (as big as it was) was actually leaning one direction! That was when I quit relying on the using parallel upright objects exclusively method! DUH!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
On a previous camper I tried leveling on the floor right inside the door. Every time I got it perfectly level and all the jacks down, as soon as I walked from one end of the trailer to the other, it always felt like I was walking up hill or down hill. No matter how hard I tried to level.

It took a little while, but finally figured it out that floor was actually, slightly arched front to back. So, no matter where the level went, just a few inches away from that spot and it was out of level. It was very frustrating.

Finally one day I stepped back and just looked at the trailer and that's when I realized 2 things. The sides of the trailer are always straight and square to the floor, and the door itself is always square and straight to the front and back.

I then started leveling the trailer based on the trailer door frame and then everything seemed to work out great! Refrigerator, stove top and even the beds felt level, and the water in the toilet bowl was even even all the way around.

But that floor, STILL felt like a roller coaster. I then tested my theory by using a ball and set it on different locations on the floor, and sure enough, there was a hump in the middle and everything rolled down hill from there, both directions.

Lesson learned ... the entry door frame is always straight and if it's level, side to side and front to back, everything else is good-to-go.... unless you have a trailer with an arched floor!

After finding the exact true "level spot", then I was able to put an RV bubble level on the front cap and side of the trailer for left-right and front-to-rear eye-sight leveling.

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to everyone who responded! Many great suggestions on where to place our level and alternative ideas!
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge