cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wrong motorhome

snow0700
Explorer
Explorer
hello, we just purchased our first class c motorhome..out purchase agreement and title work saids its a 2019. but the truck, chassic, and inside the motorhome had a 2018 owners manual. so we got to looking, and even the windows, screen, door, microwave ect said it is a 2018. we are confused as did they sell us a 2019 when actually it is a 2018. company we bought it from is closed for the week-end. has anyone ever had this happen before. thank you so much. snow0700

NOTE: Did you see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★" located at the top of this forum?
    "Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions on how to post in the forums, signature and photo testing, reporting website or member account issues. Please avoid using Forum Posting Help and Support for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, create future threads in the RV FORUM which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!"
29 REPLIES 29

WA4HTZ
Explorer
Explorer
Drew, I am pretty sure you are right. A case in point is our 2014 Mazda 6. The 2014 6 was pretty much a "clean sheet" design when the "divorce" from Ford was final and I believe released in March 2013. Our particular car was completed in May 2013 and we purchased it in October. It is titled and insured as a 2014.

Also we recently purchased a 2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A. It was completed in July of 2017 on a 2017 Ford Transit 350HD cutaway built in June 2017. It is titled and insured as a 2018. I just verified the dates before I wrote this post. So snow0700 don't worry about the build dates. You have a 2019; the manufacturer says so.

Ken
Ken and Jeannette
2015 FunFinder 266KIRB - Traded in
2006 Ford F-250 "Super" Cab Long Bed - Traded in

2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
Chassis model years run change in autumn (October through December) of the year before what is on the VIN. This is regulated Federally. Thus 2019 chassis won't be built any earlier than October 2018, maybe not before December.

My understanding is that the only requirement for vehicle years is that the model being built on January 1st belongs to that model year. The manufacturer is permitted to change model years at any point during the year, including before October. Certainly that's the case for cars, where model years often change during the summer. Perhaps different rules apply to truck chassis.

For cars that have a moderate redesign, sometimes they do the production line changeover around New Year's Day and so end up skipping a model year, even though production was only stopped for several weeks.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chassis model years run change in autumn (October through December) of the year before what is on the VIN. This is regulated Federally. Thus 2019 chassis won't be built any earlier than October 2018, maybe not before December.

Finished RV model years change late winter of the year before, i.e. January or February, to have new model examples for the Louisville RV Show. Manufacturing of 2019 motorhomes might thus start February 2018, building up stock for Spring and Summer sales. There is no regulation of this.

Thus half to three quarters of motorized RVs might have a finished vehicle model year at least a year "newer" than the chassis model year. RV manufacturers stockpiling the chassis compounds the problem.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I thought it was like that with all of them.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I have had 7 motorhomes and that would apply to 2 of mine. There have been times when there was a 2 year difference when a MH builder bought many chassis and production slowed so they had 2 year old chassis left
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
snow0700,

Nothing is wrong. Many motor homes are just like yours.

Motor home production years are introduced earlier in the previous year than the chassis manufacture. Therefore many motor homes are built on a chassis that is one model year older. Actually it is not unheard of that the chassis model year is 2 years older than the model year of the motor home. The RV manufacture may have had a lesser than expected demand, and was not able to use up all his Ford or Chevy chassis that he had purchased 1.5 years prior.

Our first motor home was like yours with mismatched model years. I admit I did not like it, feeling I got a one year old rig. But that is how it goes for many people who don't realize that and fail to ask the right questions. The good news is that your 2018 Chevy chassis warranty starts the day you bought your motor home.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
IAMICHABOD wrote:
bobndot wrote:
klutchdust wrote:
Federal law states that the "finisher' of an incomplete build dates the vehicle. A previous poster said that "you can" title it at the newer date. No, by law it must be titled at the finisher's date of completion. A 2018 chassis completed in 2019 is a 2019

Tnx. K , Good to know.

It is all spelled out HERE

:C Tnx.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobndot wrote:
klutchdust wrote:
Federal law states that the "finisher' of an incomplete build dates the vehicle. A previous poster said that "you can" title it at the newer date. No, by law it must be titled at the finisher's date of completion. A 2018 chassis completed in 2019 is a 2019

Tnx. K , Good to know.

It is all spelled out HERE
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
klutchdust wrote:
Federal law states that the "finisher' of an incomplete build dates the vehicle. A previous poster said that "you can" title it at the newer date. No, by law it must be titled at the finisher's date of completion. A 2018 chassis completed in 2019 is a 2019.

When transferring ownership my VIN listed the coach as an 08. The Minnesota title listed it as an 09. California DMV wanted it titled as an 08. AAA acquired the documents necessary to prove my situation and have my title changed.

Accept nothing less. The manufacturer of the coach can provide you with the necessary documents to prove that point. It's not a choice, it's a fact.

My insurance covers my coach as an 09 at it's true value. Maybe discounted internet companies choose to do otherwise.

I have been seeing insured having issues with low cost internet insurance advertised on TV. When it's time for a claim they are difficult to deal with. My agent is down the street from my home and available to help.

As far as replacement items for the "house" they are easy to obtain, chassis parts as well, the difference in years doesn't change much with the Ford's.

Tnx. K , Good to know.

S1njin
Explorer
Explorer
Or you get a situation like mine. I'm about to close on a 2018 Greyhawk. Chassis built 2/18. Coach built 4/18. Yet, the coach has all the 'changes' that the 2019s have. Mine must've been built during the changeover.
2019 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Federal law states that the "finisher' of an incomplete build dates the vehicle. A previous poster said that "you can" title it at the newer date. No, by law it must be titled at the finisher's date of completion. A 2018 chassis completed in 2019 is a 2019.

When transferring ownership my VIN listed the coach as an 08. The Minnesota title listed it as an 09. California DMV wanted it titled as an 08. AAA acquired the documents necessary to prove my situation and have my title changed.

Accept nothing less. The manufacturer of the coach can provide you with the necessary documents to prove that point. It's not a choice, it's a fact.

My insurance covers my coach as an 09 at it's true value. Maybe discounted internet companies choose to do otherwise.

I have been seeing insured having issues with low cost internet insurance advertised on TV. When it's time for a claim they are difficult to deal with. My agent is down the street from my home and available to help.

As far as replacement items for the "house" they are easy to obtain, chassis parts as well, the difference in years doesn't change much with the Ford's.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
snow0700 wrote:
hello, we just purchased our first class c motorhome..out purchase agreement and title work saids its a 2019. but the truck, chassic, and inside the motorhome had a 2018 owners manual. so we got to looking, and even the windows, screen, door, microwave ect said it is a 2018. we are confused as did they sell us a 2019 when actually it is a 2018. company we bought it from is closed for the week-end. has anyone ever had this happen before. thank you so much. snow0700

It helps to realize that the production of your motor home was a group effort. The chassis or "frame" was made by a truck/van manufacturer like Ford, Chevy, Mercedes, etc. The coach portion was built by the RV manufacturer like Fleetwood, Thor, Winnebago, etc. When talking about a Class C MH, they are two completely different entities. The coach builder builds the box that goes on top of the frame/suspension/engine/transmission etc.

That said, the appliances/electronics INSIDE/OUTSIDE your MH are made by manufacturers that are completely different from both the chassis manufacturer and the MH coach builder. So, it makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER to ask a question about the refrigerator in your 2015 Thor Class C MH (just an example in this case) without describing the specific make, model, year of the refrigerator inside your MH. It could be a Dometic, Norcold, (if gas/electric) or even a residential refrigerator like a Samsung, Kenmore, Frigidaire, etc.

Chum lee

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
snow0700 wrote:
again im so sorry, quess I am what they call slow. I hope I did not inconvenience anyone, by posting on the wrong forum.

Don't worry about it. Some people just enjoy walking around with their panties in a bunch.

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just make sure that you remember that when you go and buy parts! Embarrassing it be when you buy a part for a newer motor home than you have and it does not fit - at least that is what I have been told :B
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks