Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Maintaining tirepressure.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Maintaining tirepressure.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
two travelers

Smithtown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/18 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We recently took an extended trip to Glacier NP in Montana from the east coast. Before leaving, I over filled the tires to 88 (recommended 82) figuring it would get colder (37deg) and there was an increase in altitude (5,600ft). Sure enough by time we got to Glacier, pressure was down to 81. Again over filled to allow for temp changes. Pressure fluctuated, mostly higher, as temp went up and lower altiude. As we got further east looked like cooler temps. Over fill resulted in harsher ride, but could not see adding or letting air out every day. Is there a happy medium to this problem?

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/18 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never ever over fill tires. Fill to the recomended pressure on the drivers door post. On trailers air the tires to max as listed on the tire side wall. You can check them each morning if your worried. But honestly if your loosing air pressure there is something wrong. Otherwise checking weekly or even monthly should be more than sufficient.

Wire Man

Wadsworth, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/18 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always fill mine to the “max pressure” that is listed on the Tire itself because we tow a trailer. Biggest reason for tire failure is over heating which is compounded by under inflation.

Barney & Penny with our puppies Lucy & Ricky
2008 Fleetwood Discovery
NHRA Drag racing is our habit ">
Good Sams, FMCA, Cummins Power Club, Coach-Net

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/18 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I fill per scaler weight. But "Cold" is 70 dergrees for practical purpsoes. (If you ask them the tire maker can tell you more precisely) no need to over fill due to 20 degrees out.

On my class A I can tell you filling the back tires just got 1000 percent easier.> DUALLY VALVES. .YES. DUALLY VALVES.. No more removing the simulator and reaching into where I can't see to do the job

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/18 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cars/Motorhomes/AND Trailers all have a VIN type sticker showing the CORRECT pressure for that vehicle as equipped from the factory. USE those figures UNLESS you have a 4 corner weight done by the A Weight We Go, people at rallies. Doug

PS, do some of you MAX out your pressure on your Automobiles???? Regardless of what the Manual states???

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/18 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here we go again... For a motorhome, in 99.9% of the situations the pressure indicated on the tires is nice to know, but NOT relevant since you may never need that much pressure to support the actual weight of your motorhome. Trailer and fifth wheels are different.

If you have no additional information, then use the pressure that is on the placard inside your motorhome.

If you only know your GAWR’s then use that along with the tire manufacturer’s weight tables if you find the placard weight too harsh.

If you know your actual axle weights, or better yet four corner weights, then use that information along with tire manufacturers weight tables to set your tire pressures for where you are at the moment.

The pressures in the charts assume some fluctuations due to temperature and altitude for short term. Adjusting pressures frequently/daily is a sign you have OCD and you need to see a doctor.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

Lwiddis

Near USFS Glass Creek CG, Inyo County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/18 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If wildtoad is saying “follow manufacturer’s specifications,” X2. Go figure! lol

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

DSDP Don

Moorpark, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/18 10:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run my tires at a pressure that is recommended by the tire chart, according to my axle weights. Once I determined that weight, I wrote it down on my compressor. I check my tire pressure twice a year, once during my yearly service and once in between servicing the coach. In 15 years of owning a DP, the tire pressure has only been off by 1-3 psi after six months and most of that may have just been a difference I outside temperature.

For the first 13 years, I didn't use a TPMS system. I now use one, but it's only to see if I had a tire lose pressure overnight.

I'm amazed at how many people SAY they check their pressure everyday. It's surprising they don't create more issues than they avoid.

Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/18 11:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DSDP Don wrote:

I'm amazed at how many people SAY they check their pressure everyday. It's surprising they don't create more issues than they avoid.

[emoticon] [emoticon] How would checking the tire pressure each day create issues? Or even saying one does, whether one actually does or does not check it? I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a tire that was damaged by having a pressure gauge applied to it; the only possible scenario I can think of where that might be problematic is if the tire valve were to wear out from extra use cycles, and that just doesn't seem to happen much (and I, at least, have a couple of valve cores and a valve tool in the motorhome).

I do check my tire pressures every travel day before setting out. It's infrequent that I need to adjust anything, but occasionally it is called for.

NMDriver2

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/18 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 6 motorized vehicles and 4 trailers. I live at 4200 ft and drive to 6200ft regularly. Years ago I figured out that the door post pressure on the vehicles would lead to edge wear on the tires at this altitude. The pressure on the sticker was based on sea level. I add 5 lbs to each door post pressure and have had even wearing tires for the last 10 years. I do the same for the trailer tires. 5 over the max on the sidewall and I have never had center tread wear before the side tread. Your experience may be different but that is my experience.

Turret Class traveler

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Maintaining tirepressure.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS