cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Careful at the truck wash!

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I took our small C to the carwash for the first time. It was a nice place with wand wash/rinse/wax and foam brush. I did a nice job with those tools, paid the attendant, then pushed the button to open the big door, sat in the driverโ€™s seat and watched the door go up and disappear. Of course the cabover obscured the view fatally. Then very slowly drove forward. Scraping noises from the roof! I got out to see the door bottom caught on the air conditioner.

It turned out that the door opener was under powered for such a big door so it moved up much slower than the one on the car side which I am familiar with. And the operator was hoping to get a new door on my insurance policy, even though the door still worked and only some rusty old hinges were broken or had their screws pulled out of the wood panels. The MH had a cracked clearance light.

I left my name and number. After supper I went back and offered to help the overhead door guy with his repair. He said the door didnโ€™t need to be replaced, just a few hinges. The deal was I would pay for the labour and the carwash the parts. I agreed to that and was motivated to help the repair guy work faster. I ended up paying $150.

After working together we kind of hit it off and he offered to look at my garage door which didnโ€™t seal well. It cost me another $600 but I got a nearly new insulated door professionally installed.

Good ending!
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed
8 REPLIES 8

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Ok got that all figured out..
So how did it turn out ? The wash job or did you get that far ??

Have heard from others turned out great to worst thing to do is take a MH into a Truck wash. Saying the chemicals they use is too harsh for the paint etc MH ?

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I hit the door slightly damaging it.
Class C drivers need to stay out of the cab until the door has fully lifted before driving out because the necessary visibility isnโ€™t there from the driverโ€™s seat.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobndot wrote:
klutchdust wrote:
bobndot wrote:
It turned out that the door opener was under powered for such a big door so it moved up much slower than the one on the car side which I am familiar with.

Am I understanding what you are saying correctly ?
โ€ฆ you drove forward as the overhead door was still in motion, lifting up ?

If I am understanding you correctly, then the damage occurred when you moved the MH forward ? Misjudging the lifting speed of the doors motor .
If damage occurred due to the movement of your vehicle , then it would technically be an auto accident and that is why you decided to work this out on your own with the car wash owner. Even though it's on private property BUT has public access, so the rules of the road apply.

So what's your point? In the event of a non injury incident the parties involved can use their insurance companies to figure out the damages and who was at fault. Police will not come out and investigate something like this.
Rules of the road?

Sorry about the confusion . I meant my post as a question and was putting myself in the OP's shoes . ๐Ÿ™‚

I was not understanding how it happened and I'm curious about how rules of the road work on private property that has public access where he lives, do you need to have a license on private property.
I was a confused if it was caused by the door coming down on the rv which would be comprehensive ( no driver is needed) or the rv driving into the door which would be collision where a driver is needed and IF that driver would need to have a drivers license on private property . If that were the case, then to satisfy an insurance report for a collision claim, would a driver have to be listed ? Then that might work against you and working this out the way he did was a good way to resolve it.

Good post. Having dealt with Insurance claims recently I can say that being prepared with as much information as you can is necessary for a simple resolution.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
klutchdust wrote:
bobndot wrote:
It turned out that the door opener was under powered for such a big door so it moved up much slower than the one on the car side which I am familiar with.

If I am understanding you correctly, then the damage occurred when you moved the MH forward ? Misjudging the lifting speed of the doors motor .
If damage occurred due to the movement of your vehicle , then it would technically be an auto accident and that is why you decided to work this out on your own with the car wash owner. Even though it's on private property BUT has public access, so the rules of the road apply.

So what's your point? In the event of a non injury incident the parties involved can use their insurance companies to figure out the damages and who was at fault. Police will not come out and investigate something like this.
Rules of the road?

Sorry about the confusion . I meant my post as a question and was putting myself in the OP's shoes . ๐Ÿ™‚

I was not understanding how it happened and I'm curious about how rules of the road work on private property that has public access where he lives, do you need to have a license on private property.
I was a confused if it was caused by the door coming down on the rv which would be comprehensive ( no driver is needed) or the rv driving into the door which would be collision where a driver is needed and IF that driver would need to have a drivers license on private property . If that were the case, then to satisfy an insurance report for a collision claim, would a driver have to be listed ? Then that might work against you and working this out the way he did was a good way to resolve it.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobndot wrote:

Rules of the road?

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Fatally?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
why was this your problem? the guy had poorly maintained equipt. you might now have a leaking seal around your ac if it touched it.