cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

oops .... forgot to change the oil

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've never been overly concerned about oil changes although I am pretty good about changing the oil in my F350 with full synthetic every 25k km. However, some of our other vehicles can get a little neglected. For instance we have an old '92 Honda Accord that we've passed on from one kid to the next that now has 375000 km on it. My daughter has been pestering me to change the oil in this car for quite some time. So, today I finally performed the task. When I removed the filter I couldn't believe what I saw. I had written the date and mileage on the filter at the time of the last change....... September 2011 and 315,000 km. Man time flies, I guess it was time.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5
59 REPLIES 59

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Groover wrote:
if it makes you feel better to have an analysis and you can afford it go for it! No harm is being done.

What it showed me, between 12 & 15k miles there's an uptick in wear... however, 15k run was done in the winter, and I went through some oil (approx 2.5 qts) for some silly reason. I just checked my oil at 10k, and haven't burned a drop.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
mike-s wrote:
ghostrider421 wrote:
mike-s wrote:
ghostrider421 wrote:
I'm doing three 15km filter changes and one 45km oil change unless the analysis comes back to change my mind. ... (18/ltrs)
Analysis may make sense when there's that big a crankcase. My comment about analysis was with regard to the more common 5-6 qt oil change - it's cheaper and easier to just change it at a lower interval.

It's your money - a waste of it to dump perfectly good oil when the package has barely been used. Most synthetics don't break down till 60km.
Blackstone charges $28 for an analysis. I can do an oil change for that. Who's the one wasting money?

An analysis can reveal more than dirty oil. I agree that for most private use the cost, hassle and other reasons it doesn't make sense in most cases. For example, in a car if the analysis shows rapid engine wear are you going to have the engine rebuilt as a preventative measure or just run it til it dies anyway. For commercial applications with large sumps or where reliability is demanded it makes a lot of sense. I would say that consumer diesels could go either way depending on how easy it is for you to get analysis done. Of course, if it makes you feel better to have an analysis and you can afford it go for it! No harm is being done.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
ghostrider421 wrote:
mike-s wrote:
ghostrider421 wrote:
mike-s wrote:
ghostrider421 wrote:
I'm doing three 15km filter changes and one 45km oil change unless the analysis comes back to change my mind. ... (18/ltrs)
Analysis may make sense when there's that big a crankcase. My comment about analysis was with regard to the more common 5-6 qt oil change - it's cheaper and easier to just change it at a lower interval.

It's your money - a waste of it to dump perfectly good oil when the package has barely been used. Most synthetics don't break down till 60km.
Blackstone charges $28 for an analysis. I can do an oil change for that. Who's the one wasting money?

$28 just covers the cost of two filters. 18 ltrs of syn oil here is over $130. Two water/fuel filters is another $30 - so I've got $188 invested. The $28 analysis is worth it. When I was driving Cat 3116, the oil change was $300 at a Petro or TA stop.
You have a problem with reading comprehension.

ghostrider421
Explorer
Explorer
mike-s wrote:
ghostrider421 wrote:
mike-s wrote:
ghostrider421 wrote:

$28 just covers the cost of two filters. 18 ltrs of syn oil here is over $130. Two water/fuel filters is another $30 - so I've got $188 invested. The $28 analysis is worth it. When I was driving Cat 3116, the oil change was $300 at a Petro or TA stop.
Capt Phillip & Mattie
Guyana - 2013-2019 Dodge 1500, Lance camper - SOLD
Brasil - 2019 > 12m work boat conversion - leased out
Panana - 1976 > 16m Skookum ketch

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
A decent oil change facility operator is going to show you the full dipstick before you leave. If they don't, find another place.

If your oil analysis shows readings over the max allowed, change your interval. There is no sense in being flippant about changing oil and lubricants.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I do the Blackstone analysis, for one I just like to and I also don't want to change my oil every 6 mo if I am not at 15k. I am proving the oil and engine are fine running the full 15k change. MY oil change is North of $100 doing it my self and running 15k is well worth it to me with excellent results.

So if you don't follow the manual as far as the six months or 15K whichever comes first, and you have a oil related failure ( I know it would be rare ) do you think you would be covered on warranty.

I would think they would be looking at everything to deny warranty, you think they would care about the Blackstone analysis ?? I understand your thinking ,if I was paying the money you are for oil ,I too would want to get as much mileage as possible .

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
His money to spend. Drinking beer is a waste of money among many products. Chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I do the Blackstone analysis, for one I just like to and I also don't want to change my oil every 6 mo if I am not at 15k. I am proving the oil and engine are fine running the full 15k change. MY oil change is North of $100 doing it my self and running 15k is well worth it to me with excellent results.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
ghostrider421 wrote:
mike-s wrote:
ghostrider421 wrote:

ghostrider421
Explorer
Explorer
mike-s wrote:
ghostrider421 wrote:

Two techs in most places: one to drain the oil and one to do everything else. Some dealerships are cheap and one guy does both.
Capt Phillip & Mattie

ghostrider421
Explorer
Explorer
mike-s wrote:
ghostrider421 wrote:

Capt Phillip & Mattie

ghostrider421
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
"I've had techs forget to put oil back in (18/ltrs), but the engine still ran for about 5km before conking out. Just put oil in and it ran like a top again."

Please forgive my skepticism.

Happened in Miami, Fla about three years ago at a Jiffy place. The M35A2 holds 18 ltrs of oil. The reason they don't want you in the bay area is because they don't want you asking questions or making suggestions. Has nothing to do about insurance. It's a pit - no lift. Same thing happened at Brown's Dodge in Inverness, FL

They never drain all the oil out, there's residual in the engine plus the liter that is added to the filter when they screw it on.
Capt Phillip & Mattie

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
ghostrider421 wrote:

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
"I've had techs forget to put oil back in (18/ltrs), but the engine still ran for about 5km before conking out. Just put oil in and it ran like a top again."

Please forgive my skepticism.

I'm with you. And techs? Multiple techs working on it at the same time and they all forget? Or had this happen multiple times? Either way, it's time to find a different oil change place.