cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chevrolet Class C Diesels

Sorrentino100
Explorer
Explorer
Who manufactured them, what models and were any manufactured on the last updated (1996+) chassis?

Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am not aware of any major RV manufacturer who built on the Chevy Express van chassis with a Duramax diesel (although some built using the earlier 6.5 Detroit, pre-Express Chevy Van). The price add-on makes the diesel a hard sell, and the extra weight limits how much house can be built on the chassis. There have been smaller manufacturers who have built to order, price no object, but more often they would build on the E-series with the 7.5 diesel, then later the 6.0 Powerstroke.

Larger C's on Kodiak or F-550 sometimes have had the diesel as an option, and there are some small builders who used the Dodge 3500 cab-chassis with Cummins. However, many of these larger C's also had gas engines (Vortec 8100, Triton 6.8 V-10) because of the same cost and weight issues. You will also find builds on International and Freightliner MDT chassis, always with diesels. Manufacturers in this class include Dynamax, Gulfstream, Thor and Jayco, from about 2003-4 until the market crash. Dynamax failed and got bought up, but I think the brand still exists; Thor has gotten back into this part of the business since 2010, but no Chevy chassis because GM once again exited the MDT market per terms of the Federal bailout.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
I love my diesel class c to on a Ford 550 and 29 foot. I get between 10-12 mpg but I also have a diesel generator and that is great. Born free made a 32 foot Kodiak class c. My coach is quiet no hot doghouse unlimited power to climb hills on cruise control.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I must say I'm with KD4UPL on this. While diesels under many circumstances can have advantages over gasoline engines, I don't see where you'd gain much if anything converting a class C, and it would not be an especially easy or inexpensive conversion. No engine in a motorhome is going to give great economy, just because you're pushing a big, heavy, un-aerodynamic brick through the air.

If the motorhome has a generator, you'd need to either replace it with a diesel (not cheap!), convert it or replace it with a propane generator (not quite so expensive, but rather costly to run...and they use a lot of propane from a none to large tank), or do without (maybe by carrying a portable generator, in which case you'd presumably also need to carry a can of gas for it).

I have seen at least one diesel class C based on the Ford chassis (with the old 7.3 diesel engine). That would be a reliable but rather gutless and probably noisy combination, from what i understand. Unfortunately the one motorhome I saw was not well maintained at all and had severe water damage. I probably would own it now if it were in good shape--the floorplan was ideal for what I wanted.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure why you would go to all the trouble to get a diesel engine. Most people don't ever put enough miles on to ever have it pay off in fuel efficiency. The 8.1L was availalbe in vans form 2001 - 2002. I have seen a Class C that had the 8.1 in it for sale on RV Trader. That engine probably makes more HP and torque than a 6.5L. Actually, I bet the 6.0 that's in 99% of Chevy class Cs makes more HP and almost as much torque as a 6.5L diesel.

Sorrentino100
Explorer
Explorer
I guess it I could find a nice floorplan and convert a 1996 to 2005 from gas to diesel, if I had too. The 6.5 is available as an improved version that is used in Humvees and would be a reliable engine with good power and economy.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
You can get the "super" C MH built on the Topkick/Kodiak medium duty truck chassis. Some of these have the Duramax diesel in them.
If you're looking for a "regular" class C built on a van cut-away chassis with a diesel I think you'll be looking a long time. I'm not sure if these exist or not but I've never come across one. I've never even seen a van with the 6.5 diesel even though they were available. Van's weren't available with a diesel from about 2002 until 2006.

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Tiger is still manufacturing diesel Class C's on current Chevy, Ford, or Dodge chassis. Built to order, sold only from the factory. http://www.tigervehicles.com/
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed