cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Furnace Igniter.. what is that wire made of? Mine erodes.

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
So, my furnace igniter, basically 2-3 wires sticking out over the burner where the propane comes up, is no longer in production.

Last season, I took it to a welder, who proptly welded some welding rod to extend the lengths of the electrodes, and away I went. It worked great ... for that one season.

Yesterday, I turned on the furnace and it wouldnt light. Pulled the igniter and it had eroded very quickly.

So my question is...

What metal do they make igniter electrodes from?
What metal do they make spark plugs from? Im thinking the same?

Thanks,
groundhogy
28 REPLIES 28

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
Hi DE,
No, that one is not mine.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Is this what you are looking for?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Suburban+230956+Igniter&_sacat=0

Igniter
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

A1RVTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I checked my old stock of parts and could not fine one for you.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
some info on how to post pics here
http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=2

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
I found out the problem with tungsten... someone mentioned a melting point of 6000 degrees.

The existing electrode metal is probably in the 1400 degree category. If you got the tungsten to melt a little, wouldnt the existing ignitor instantly liquify and fall to the floor? lol

Im NOT a welder.

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
groundhogy wrote:
So would a normal welder have thin tungsten rods on hand?
Just measured the diameter at 0.084 inches. Seems an odd diameter.

Tungsten TIG electrodes come in 1/16, 3/32 and several metric sizes in the range needed. About $2 each for a 6” electrode. Any welding supplier will have them.
RVing since 1995.

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
and this...

https://www.google.com/search?q=igniter+NT-30k&client=firefox-b-1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwigudvtjNXdAhVLwVkKHcPgAM0Q_AUIDygC&biw=1366&bih=654#imgrc=a-8UB_tP8rp3HM:

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
here is one image... click on this

https://www.google.com/search?q=igniter+NT-30k&client=firefox-b-1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwigudvtjNXdAhVLwVkKHcPgAM0Q_AUIDygC&biw=1366&bih=654#imgrc=yMYdy7-WygmhkM:

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
Shasta.. not any of those.

Traveler...not sure how to post a pic... let me see....

A1RVTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Post a few pictures of your old one against a ruler so we can see it.

I've got some remaining inventory of older style parts. Maybe I can help.

RV Repairman

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
so none of these are the right ones just because there out of production does not mean there are not a bunch of them around anymore Igniter Electrode For Suburban Furnace
Igniter Electrode For Suburban Furnace 2

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Ok the ignightor is TWO of those points (wires. pipes Rods) One is ground, one is IGNITION and one is Thermocouple (this also has a ground part)

The Thermocouple is made of TWO metals. when heated it makes 0.480 volts at low current.. that's the wire that goes to the control board.

See above suggeions for TIG wire for the spark rod

That is not a thermocouple, it's just an electrode. The board runs a small current through the flame.
-- Chris Bryant

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok the ignightor is TWO of those points (wires. pipes Rods) One is ground, one is IGNITION and one is Thermocouple (this also has a ground part)

The Thermocouple is made of TWO metals. when heated it makes 0.480 volts at low current.. that's the wire that goes to the control board.

See above suggeions for TIG wire for the spark rod
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

groundhogy
Explorer
Explorer
so for SPARK PLUGS, I did the same thing and found some wire materials made of..

SPARK PLUGS

Nickel alloy wires (NiCrofor 7618 ) NMn4-1 for sparking plug electrode

Nicr4mn

NiCr2MnSi

NiCr8020 Wire / NiKROTHAL80

These also seem like the same types of materials..