cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Considering the Andersen Weight Distribution Hitch

BeerBrewer
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering purchasing Andersen's Weight Distribution Hitch with my new (used) TT. I like it because it is light weight, simple to hook-up and unhook and it's supposed to provide weight distribution and remove bounce and sway.

Those of you that have owned/used the Andersen hitch did it work well for you? Meaning did it transfer enough wt forward, did it remove/reduce the sway, did it remove bounce, did it hold up?

I've read so much conflicting info on the hitch. I've read people complaining that it doesn't really distribute enough weight forward, that it didn't hold up well. I've also read that its better for lighter trailers, some said its better for heavy. I'm just confused!

I'm close to picking out a small lite TT (our first) and I'm definitely planning upon using a anti-sway WDH with it. As you know some WDHs can be quite heavy and that could impact the TT I buy because my truck only can handle 700 lbs of tongue wt.

Thanks
17 REPLIES 17

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
trail-explorer wrote:
kincade wrote:
I also strongly object to the owners vandalism of our public lands and would not buy another (for both reasons):

Link to Moab Times

Ditto, and for that reason, I will never own nor recommend Andersen products

Makes three of us.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
kincade wrote:
I also strongly object to the owners vandalism of our public lands and would not buy another (for both reasons):

Link to Moab Times

Ditto, and for that reason, I will never own nor recommend Andersen products
Bob

ttavasc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just finished up our 4th season with the Andersen on our Jayco Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja (3750gvwr/450lb tw). We've towed almost 23K miles during that time and the only real issue we've had is the original friction cone came from a bad batch that had some metal shavings embedded in it. That caused the hitch to seize up a bit when turning and was very noisy. Customer Support was very responsive and overnighted a replacement friction cone no charge.

I was more interested in the sway control than the weight distribution as the ~450lb tongue weight doesn't really pull that much off the front axle. The combination is very stable when being passed by semi's at freeway speeds as well as in moderate to severe winds. The light weight and ease of hook-up were also a consideration as I wanted something that the DW could hitch up herself if needed (she can quite easily).

Based on our experience I think this is an excellent hitch for small to medium trailers. We are starting to look at upgrading to a larger trailer - around 6K GVWR - and I'm planning on sticking with the Andersen for that as well.
TT: 2019 ORV Timber Ridge 23DBS, Blue Ox SwayPro 15K/1500
TV: 2019 F-250 XLT SuperCab LB, 6.2L, 4.30/e-locker, 164" WB, 4x4, Roadmaster Active Suspension

01tundra
Explorer
Explorer
Been using on for over 2 years now with our Jayco Hummingbird (3,750 lbs / 480 lb TW). Can't speak for weight transfer now that we're pulling with a 2500 Duramax, but it seemed to transfer weight well back when we were pulling with our old FJ Crusier. Mostly use it now for sway control.

I recently updated to the new hitch plate system and like it even more now. It's been solid for us, wouldn't think about using anything different for our application.

And their customer service as been spot on, I even had them build a custom extended shank for our new truck so I can fully open the tailgate while hooked up.
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2017 GMC 2500HD Denali Duramax

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
Well reading just the very MIXED reviews here of users I'm not sure why anyone would want to "roll the dice" on something as important as something that is meant to keep you "OUT OF THE DITCH" so to speak:h

I think I would stick with the more traditional Reese or Equal-i-zer type implementations or even the tried proven simple spring bar WDH with the friction sway bar.

If you're worried about a little noise or are clumsy enough not to get grease on you then maybe you need a different hobby:E:S

Larry

FWIW I happen to be very coordinated. After 2.5 years dealing with the grease and noise, you couldn't pay me to use another EQ.
I've used the Andersen WDH and it preformed as well as the EQ did with NO grease and NO noise.
If I were to get another TT I'd go with the Blue Ox. Best of both worlds it seems. Never used one but it seems like it would be quiet and effective.

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
Well reading just the very MIXED reviews here of users I'm not sure why anyone would want to "roll the dice" on something as important as something that is meant to keep you "OUT OF THE DITCH" so to speak:h

I think I would stick with the more traditional Reese or Equal-i-zer type implementations or even the tried proven simple spring bar WDH with the friction sway bar.

If you're worried about a little noise or are clumsy enough not to get grease on you then maybe you need a different hobby:E:S

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

greydog
Explorer
Explorer
The other thing which bears mentioning, regarding the Andersen hitch, is that the company is totally unresponsive to e-mails. I don't know if they stand behind the product or not but I've seen no evidence of it. Bottom line, I could not recommend this hitch. GD

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO...purchase components/systems/etc for the Mr Murphy moments out there...not for the good days out there...which is the majority of times

Like the Anderson design architecture, but they lost me on their implementation of that design

Haven't looked at it in years, but back then...

Didn't like the very short stack of plastic bushing...knew they were going to be over compressed and in time fail. It should have had about double or more of those plastic bushings

Didn't like that they hand grind-ed the clevis and welded onto it. Wondered if they used dead soft or hardened chain/clevis.

The tapered ball shank vs friction material a maintenance issue and if any grease/oil ever got into that union...the whole purpose of friction material would be negated

Bottom line for me...way too light duty and poor implementation...but many enjoy it and glad they do...just not for me
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

kincade
Explorer
Explorer
Ram 1500 and Lance 2185 here. Went from an Equalizer hitch to an Anderson due to weight, ease of setup, and not having to deal with the bars.

The other posters here have hit it on the head - when the roads are good it works nearly as well as the equalizer, but when the roads are poor or conditions are not great it does not control the trailer or transfer weight nearly as well. I also strongly object to the owners vandalism of our public lands and would not buy another (for both reasons):

Link to Moab Times

greydog
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect that many satisfied users of this, and other, WD hitches do not travel as much on badly frost-heaved highways. Concrete highways have little bumps; Alberta highways have dips a foot deep. I found the hitch to be just fine when cruising along the interstates but not nearly so good on more challenging roads. GD

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know some people seem to have so many problems with them. I have one and pull a 9000# trailer with a 2500 Chevy and have never broken or wore out anything. I have put easily 10,000 miles on it. I love it. It pulls my heavy trailer easy--no sway, no sucking into semi's passing and no or very little bounce on concrete highways. My old Equal-i-zer was fine but it transmitted every crack in a concrete highway. And it's silent. So go figure. I love it and I think you would. too.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

greydog
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using the Andersen hitch (pulling a 251 RK K-Z Spree trailer) all this summer and have about 12,000 miles on it. It has, from time to time, worked fairly well but there have been numerous issues. My "silent" hitch squalls like an injured alleycay whenever I make a turn and it is embarrassing to pull into a service station. Polishing the shank on the ball helped for a bit but the problem returned. There just seems to be a little too much stiction. I am considering a dry lube but I don't want a lube which works too well or the anti-sway friction will be compromised. I have broken clevis's three times (possibly because they are all examples of China's finest) and finally bored out the holes in the plate so I could upsize.
The saddle brackets ended up pointing upward and not aligned with the plate. This resulted in wear in the square tube. I built braces for the brackets and managed to cure this.
One can run them without grease but, since there is still movement of the ball in the tongue, I think grease is still a good idea.
I don't think there is sufficient travel built in to the polymer bushing to handle much in the way of dips in the roadway. I think a stack of Bellville washers, in conjunction with the bushings, might work better or even a coil spring, also in conjunction with the bushing.
I'm not sure if I will keep working with the Andersen hitch design or not but, so far, I'm not real impressed. GD

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
I own an Andersen WDH and love it. My setup is a Tacoma/ 17 foot Casita trailer. When I first get the trailer I tried using a Reese WDH but the brackets that the chains hang from had to be mounted right where the propane tanks where located. And I really didn't want to start modifying the frame just so the Reese could be used. So I located the Andersen on the internet, and did some reading. The Andersen is lighter in weight the Reese. And with the location of the propane tanks I could lengthen the chains longer to reach the brackets that are now behind the tank location. In my case the tongue weight is probably around 350+ lbs. It works greater. The Tacoma rides better then without the Andersen. I was camp hosting at an RV Park a few years ago when a rig comes in using an Andersen. The trailer was at least 30 feet long. So it will work on larger trailers.

msb1766
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Anderson and its great I tow a 2011 Keystone Larado 291TG
With a 3/4 ton Ram. Never had any problems with the hitch or with sway. Mine is probably close to 10 years old.
I have used it on my last 2 campers. I would not go back at spring bar setup.
When I bought the Keystone It came with a Reese Strait line WDH with Sway Control. Used it on one trip, and swapped it out for the Anderson that I kept when I sold the old camper

The Anderson takes out the bounce that the spring bar produces.
No more grease, No more noise.