cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

locking gas cap: yes or no

RRTom
Explorer
Explorer
We keep the motorhome here at home in a very quiet area with very little traffic, and good neighbors. What are the chances of anyone tampering with or siphoning gas at the campgrounds? How many have replaced the gas with a locking gas cap?
2020 Georgetown GT 31LS
22 REPLIES 22

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
I have tried numerous times to siphon gas from my tank for one reason or another. there is so many bends in it, it has been impossible to do. Forget the locking cap.
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
Ours came with a lock on the door. Have never heard of anything happening, but I'd also be worried about some smart a$$ putting something in the gas tank that would cause damage. Could happen at any fuel stop, rest area, parking area where you leave it while stopping for a bite to eat etc.

Relax, donโ€™t worry about it.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
You can't stick a siphon hose in a modern gas fill. The roll over, anti-spill ball will stop you.
So much jabber about nothing.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned by Ro sie I suspect vandalism by someone that was angry is more likely than siphoning. I would rather suffer a flattened tire or similar damage than a engine killing substance in my fuel. So I vote for a locking cap.
Turret Class traveler

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ours came with a lock on the door. Have never heard of anything happening, but I'd also be worried about some smart a$$ putting something in the gas tank that would cause damage. Could happen at any fuel stop, rest area, parking area where you leave it while stopping for a bite to eat etc.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
Don't waste your money on a locking cap. I've never heard of anyone having their fuel siphoned. Though its probably happened a few times, its very unlikely.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Let's see. Cap is on the upper end of a long rubber hose that is easily cut by a pocket knife... So.. You figure it out.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe thievery of anything in campgrounds is minimal. I suppose if the CG is next door to a bad area, it could be a factor, but most are not.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a locking cap, and I don't think I've ever even remotely thought I needed one.

Hmmm...on second thought, maybe that's why I'm always getting such lousy mileage with my motorhome....

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to be a couple schools of thought here.

First, a locking cap will keep honest people honest. Someone looking for an easy mark would move on.

Second, if someone wants the fuel bad enough, they will get it. It is a lot easier to re-fill a tank when the fuel was removed by siphoning than if someone sticks a hole into your tank and drains it that way.

In all my years of camping, I have never had something stolen. Perhaps that means I am overdue.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
No theft. but before we could build our rv barn, I am pretty sure someone was trying to punish us for having it parked in front of our house. ( and we dont live in a community where you are not allowed to park there and our houses sit on at least 2 acres each) Some one dumped what we believe to be sand into our fuel tank. It was pretty costly to have the tank dropped and cleaned and replaced. Not to mention the tow when the thing just stopped running because of the blockage. So, we dont have a locking fuel tank, but we do have a very good security system at homeand in the RV barn.
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
Around here you hear about it once in a while (in town, not camping). They don't siphon through the cap though, they stick a screwdriver through the bottom of the tank and catch the gas in a bucket. Locking cap won't help.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™d rather have the gas stolen than be concerned about it.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I never heard of fuel theft in a campground - would think someone would stand out syphoning fuel. The theft I read about is usually snatch/grab stuff and even that seems rare in my area of the country.
Kevin