cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do Onan generators burn oil?

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have about 100 hours on our Onan 5500 in our 2018 Miramar. I changed the oil around 20 hours and I hadn't checked the oil since. We took a trip this weekend and I checked the oil. It looked like the oil was about halfway down the safe mark. When I changed the oil it was at the top. I need to top it off a little but I am wondering if this is normal? None of my vehicle engines burn any oil.

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)
17 REPLIES 17

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Returning to this thread reminds me of the first Generator I ever worked on. Belonged to a family named Sexton in Coldwater MI. It was installed in the ICE Cream Truck (You know the kind the kids chase) which put 3 kids through college.

IT would not crank.. Well I tracked it down to a busted bolt. Re-attached the wires and it started.. IT was a "Fill up the crankcase and check the gas" Generator (Burned more oil (relative to the tank size) than gas.

A major overhaul later and it did not burn oil any more.. Just gas.

Made good Ice Cream though.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
MetalGator wrote:
I have about 100 hours on our Onan 5500 in our 2018 Miramar. I changed the oil around 20 hours and I hadn't checked the oil since. We took a trip this weekend and I checked the oil. It looked like the oil was about halfway down the safe mark. When I changed the oil it was at the top. I need to top it off a little but I am wondering if this is normal? None of my vehicle engines burn any oil.

Burch

ALL piston engines burn/use oil. New engines may use slightly more oil until the piston rings seat. Usually oil consumption reduces as the engine breaks in and gets worse as the engine wears out. When running, piston engine oil gets contaminated with soot, (carbon) unburned fuel, water, wear particles, and other combustion byproducts. Those contaminates have volume and under some conditions cause the engine oil level to go up. Oil consumption usually offsets this. That's why engine oil needs to be changed on regular intervals.

Chum lee

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
13 years and I have never "Added" oil to my Onan between changes.

Yours is actually an "Onan". Current models are "Cummins Onan" as Cummins has owned them for several years and is re naming their generators.

Here is my Cummins Onan 6500 LP Commercial 240V gen. I can run my 240V washer and Dryer, thanks Chris Bryant!!!

I have not used any oil with mine.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Big Katuna wrote:
Go Gators!

I used to go to the Orange and Blue game every spring. Before we purchased our Motorhome, we rented one from Reserve America and parked in the commuter lot with all the other RVs. That was so much fun! Hopefully one day I can do that again but due to my work (CPA firm) I can't really leave town until after April 15th and the O&B game is always about a week before that.

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine definitely used or lost some oil. I did spill some when I changed the oil. That second quart sure goes in slow. Next time I will fill the oil filter first. I know sometimes a new engine will burn a little oil until broke in so maybe that's why it's a little low. It currently has 98 hours on it and I did the first oil change at 20 hours.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
13 years and I have never "Added" oil to my Onan between changes.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
luberhill wrote:
Is there even a filter ?? I don't think my Onan 4000 has a filter ??

The 5500 is a 2 cylinder engine, with pressurized oil system with a filter. The 4000 is single cylinder, splash liberication, no filter.
-- Chris Bryant

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Is there even a filter ?? I don't think my Onan 4000 has a filter ??
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
One who relies only on the low oil sensor frequently buys a new generator. Do you check and change motor oil, coolant, transmission fluid, differential fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid? Check tire air pressure, lug nuts?I feel like a high school auto shop teacher.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go Gators! My son cheered at UF, graduated in 98 and again with an MBA in 2007.

Yes, they shut off if too low.

I witnessed a few times at the reserved RV lot on campus, a genset would shut off, they would call a mobile tech, they would top off the oil and restart.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Big Katuna wrote:
We tailgated UF football games for 15 years. 4-5 years with a 5500 Onan.
They definitely burn some oil ESP under heavier load; say running two ACs for 48 hours.

I checked and filled mine every weekend, changing every other weekend, after two weekends.

Not uncommon for carbon to build up. Onan used to sell a decarbonizer but now you would use SeaFoam.

Itโ€™s an air cooled engine. They have to leave the rings a little loose or it would seize up.

Nice to see another Gator fan on RV.net! I graduated from UF in 1995.

Whenever I use the generator I am running both AC units when traveling. It's my fault for not checking it sooner. Still in the safe zone but I will top it off before I use it again. It's due for an oil change in another 50 hours or so.

Do these Onan generators have a low oil sensor in them which would turn them off if the oil gets to low?

Burch

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œ I changed the oil around 20 hours and I hadn't checked the oil since.โ€

You are kidding about not checking the oil level, right? Eighty hours...my my.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
We tailgated UF football games for 15 years. 4-5 years with a 5500 Onan.
They definitely burn some oil ESP under heavier load; say running two ACs for 48 hours.

I checked and filled mine every weekend, changing every other weekend, after two weekends.

Not uncommon for carbon to build up. Onan used to sell a decarbonizer but now you would use SeaFoam.

Itโ€™s an air cooled engine. They have to leave the rings a little loose or it would seize up.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Leveling makes a big difference in the dip stick reading as well.
-- Chris Bryant