cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shopping tires now wow$$$$

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
I have been calling around and it is going to cost more than I had budgeted by $500 - $1500. Sorry for all the questions lately I got a price on some Firestone tires and they are $1200 - $1500 cheaper than Michelin and Michelin has several grades. What are you running and do you think the ride will suffer with the Firestone tires?

My searches did not net any info other than tire pressure.

Coach is a Fleetwood Expedition 34' Cat C7

Thanks Mike
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000
58 REPLIES 58

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
I'm always looking at tires I'm probably getting new ones next year.
Hercules had some good to average reviews. This is the worse one I saw but you can find the same for any tire just gotta roll the dice and hope for the best.

Here

Wow, even with my two GY670 blowouts, they didn't look that bad.
One always has to wonder what the cause and most sure in my case, many would blame it on GY, just like the Hercules owner. I think in most all cases where a tire wasn't dry rotted in the first place, it was due to either of two things and those being under inflation or some sort of a road hazard. Since both of mine occurred in NY state, I've chose to blame it on road hazards, since I've never seen so much debris on the highway, as I witnessed there.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I'm always looking at tires I'm probably getting new ones next year.
Hercules had some good to average reviews. This is the worse one I saw but you can find the same for any tire just gotta roll the dice and hope for the best.

Here
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

oilcan4
Explorer
Explorer
HI GUNDOG, HAD SAME SITUATION 4 YEARS AGO. TO REPLACE MY MICHELLINE WAS $725.00 each. local truck tire dealer suggested Goodyear G395 MODEL TRUCK STEERING TIRES. FOR $410.00 each installed. Little stiffer side wall but my 40 foot sportscoach handels 300% better than with mushy michellins. Let us know how you make out. OILCAN4

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I did get a quote on Hercules Strong Guard HRA.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Gundog wrote:
I have been calling around and it is going to cost more than I had budgeted by $500 - $1500. Sorry for all the questions lately I got a price on some Firestone tires and they are $1200 - $1500 cheaper than Michelin and Michelin has several grades. What are you running and do you think the ride will suffer with the Firestone tires?

My searches did not net any info other than tire pressure.

Coach is a Fleetwood Expedition 34' Cat C7

Thanks Mike

I run Hercules H902 with excellent results and one of the best bangs for the buck out there, that I could find in my size. The company is owned by Cooper and has been around for a good 50yrs or more.
Then again, how many ways are there to make a tire with DOT approval and for staying out of trouble. I have yet to find any Chemical or Mechanical engineering data that has any significant difference.
Not paying for a name and their huge marketing bill, at any rate.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
We stopped using Firestones in 96. Bridgestones too. The way they overlap the belts make for a bump no matter what you do, unless they have changed.
We had them on a 95 Thunderbird .I had them rotate and rebalanced several times and the problem would not go away and Firestone refused to swap out the tires or find the problem. Had the same problem with their tires for our Dodge and Ford Pickups. Hopefully over the years they have changed but burned several times I see no reason to gamble with another potential problem. Michelin are now the high dollar spread so Customers are looking for an alternative.Perhaps Continentals orig equip on my AMG.

With this issue, a RUN-OUT measurement is a requirement! Would show your problem in less than 2 minutes. Balancing an out of round tire... "As they say in Texas": "That just ain't right!"
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also look for Hankook tires. 🙂 They are my favorite because of price + quality.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
We stopped using Firestones in 96. Bridgestones too. The way they overlap the belts make for a bump no matter what you do, unless they have changed.
We had them on a 95 Thunderbird .I had them rotate and rebalanced several times and the problem would not go away and Firestone refused to swap out the tires or find the problem. Had the same problem with their tires for our Dodge and Ford Pickups. Hopefully over the years they have changed but burned several times I see no reason to gamble with another potential problem. Michelin are now the high dollar spread so Customers are looking for an alternative.Perhaps Continentals orig equip on my AMG.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
One needs to check mileage rating and warranty term too.

Premium Michelin’s often have higher mileage numbers and the extra cost is basically warranty costs. Same tire.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
I ran the FMCA chart for my car this week and they have available 6 BFGOODRICH types, 6 MICHELIN types and 6 HANKOOK types tires but no CONTINENTIAL tires available for cars. Currently Continental is only available in truck sizes.

BFGOODRICH and MICHELIN were prices less than the HANKOOK. However MICHELIN's top premium tire was the most expensive.

carp65
Explorer
Explorer
We have been pleased with Hankook tires for both our motorhome and
our toad. FMCA members can now purchase them thru them. Have not
priced them as yet. Many tire dealers carry this brand.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at the Toyo M177 as well, and Maybe the Hankook AH22 offered through FMCA. The Goodyear, Hankook and Continentals are all my size 275/80R22.5. The Toyos I would have to go to a 295/75R22.5 which is about 0.8" wider. I'll have to measure on the duals.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Class A came with Mitchlin XRV's (22.5 Inch) with the FMCA discount these would have been ABOUT (this is not the exact price) 3500 plus installation and disposal fees to replace (and balanc beads)

I went with a nearly identical TOYO for 2300. THat is "out the lot" pricing (never drove through the door :))
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Now our Big O tire stores have buy 3 get 1 free, good deal if you don’t buy there road hazard warranty

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS