cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toilet Won"t Hold Water

jeffo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 thetford aqua-magic style II that was in our motor home when we bought it new. It has never held water in the bowl. I had the RV back to CW for some other warranty work and I mentioned this to them and when I picked it up they told me it just needed cleaned (It had never been used yet) but it did have water in when I picked it up. however the next time I flushed it was back to leaking down. I just recently bought a new seal and installed it and it still leaks. I can snap the pedal a couple of times and let it snap back it will hold. Is there a spring on the ball valve that might be weak?
2013 Thor Daybreak 32HD
15 REPLIES 15

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
A little silicone grease on a cotton swab works well for flush valves as well as drain valves.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
ljhl wrote:
When my toilet doesnโ€™t hold water in the bowl I pour a cup or two of white vinegar into the bowl..
Thanks! That did the trick, for now. I'll try using vinegar as maintenance too.

With a gloved hand I reached underneath the rubber gasket and it felt rough. Not sure it's supposed to be that way.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

fischer
Explorer
Explorer
Mine was doing the same . I read somewhere that the rubber was catching. The fix was to apply Vaseline. On the rubber. Worked fine now.
2016 Winnebago 35B v10
2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4
Blue ox Tow Bar

ljhl
Explorer
Explorer
When my toilet doesnโ€™t hold water in the bowl I pour a cup or two of white vinegar into the bowl. The vinegar will seep past the rubber seal at the same place the water seeps out. The vinegar may melt away the hard water deposits that are causing the leak. Iโ€™ve had great luck with vinegar in my Sealand toilet. I keep a gallon jug of vinegar on the floor behind my toilet and put some vinegar in the bowl from time to time as preventative maintenance.
2007 Dutch Star 4023
Subaru Forester Toad
A mutt named Arvee

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Leaking toilets almost always need replacing to stop leaking. Other remedies are temporary at best.

Is it "temporary" when cleaning mineral and other deposits off the seal stops the leak down issue for 2-3 years? Or do you suggest replacing the entire toilet with a new one that may also start leaking down in 2-3 years in hard water conditions? Do you own stock in Thetford/Norcold? ๐Ÿ˜‰
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Mine does the same thing.

I have to side step the pedal to let it snap shut in order for it to hold water. One day I'll try fixing it....
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes - there is a spring in the foot pedal for the toilet. It if gets weak, the pedal will not raise back up enough to get a good seal. Yes - replace that spring.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
There is a spring on the back side of the toilet that could be weak as you said or there could be other binding of the mechanism.. The only way to replace it is to take the toilet off the floor, replace the spring and flange seal, then bolt it back down. Ours is doing the same thing but I can lift the pedal with the top of my foot after flushing and the seal holds water. When we get back home from our current trip, I will replace the spring and flange seal, less than a half-hour job. The spring and flange seal are available from Amazon as a kit.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Leaking toilets almost always need replacing to stop leaking. Other remedies are temporary at best.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Brand new!
Take it back there is something wrong with the unit!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
I sprayed a liberal dose of silicone spray on all moving parts and pivot points and it cured mine snaps back nice now and holds water.

jeffo
Explorer
Explorer
there is nothing to scape or brush out,it is brand new
2013 Thor Daybreak 32HD

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
All good advice and ideas from the above posters. I use a bush like this from Walmart (less than $2.00). It's soft enough that it won't harm the seal.

I put a bigger string on it and loop that around my wrist so that I don't drop it down into the tank..Works great.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, I prefer a Popsicle stick to a coat hanger to clean the seal.

Less likely to tear the seal.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/