cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Going to St Augustine FL

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
Wednesday we are going to North Beach Camp Resort in St Augustine Fl. Google Map has me going I-10 East to I-95 South to Exit 318 FL-16. Is this the best route? Is I-295 around Jacksonville any better? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV
7 REPLIES 7

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
accsys wrote:
Coming in on I-10 I would take 295 around the western side of Jax. Get in the second lane from the left and stay there until you get near the I-95 exit on the east side of the St. Johns River. I-295 is a little shorter and the same time as going on into Jax and getting on I-95 from I-10.

Thanks everyone for the help. I-295 and the second lane from the left was definitely the way to go.

All went well until we got on I-95 south and a dump truck lost both right reat tires in front of us. Man can them things come apart fast. Luckily most of the big parts went to the right and we was able to go to the left.
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks accsys for posting. He is correct. If coming in on I10, take 295 bypass.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

moonstone
Explorer
Explorer
Your Google directions are pretty good, there isn't really any way around Jax that doesn't involve a lot of traffic, unless you exit 295 and take US17 south on the west side of the St John's river. Take 17 down to SR16 at Green Cove Springs, then take 16 all the way over to St Augustine.

If you don't want to get off 295 onto 95 Southbound, stay on 295 for 1 more exit and get off at US1 -its a nice road and nicer scenery (IMHO) than 95. Take US1 (also called Philips, then Old Dixie Hwy) all the way down to St Augustine. Take San Marco Ave to May St/A1A (an old carousel at the corner?) and go left/east towards the Vilano Causeway/bridge. Go over the bridge then left again at the coast on A1A up to the North Beach Campground. Vilano beach is quite built up (from when we started camping near there 40+ yrs ago) and there is a Publix grocery store and several restaurants at the corner.
As an alternate scenic route exit off US1 just south of 295 at the Nocatee Pkwy and head east to A1A then south to the campground.

We leave in 4 weeks for St Augustine Beach but since we are approaching from the north (Ontario) we take 95 to 295 on the east side of Jax down to Hwy 9B then cut over to US.1 then over to A1A. By the time we get to Jax we have had enough of I-95!

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Coming in on I-10 I would take 295 around the western side of Jax. Get in the second lane from the left and stay there until you get near the I-95 exit on the east side of the St. Johns River. I-295 is a little shorter and the same time as going on into Jax and getting on I-95 from I-10.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. We should be going through between 12 and 2 in the afternoon if all goes well.
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Just do it at a non-peak time of day. As the poster from DeLand said, rush hour is no good here.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Definetly not 295W, the eastern bypass is usually better but there was construction earlier this summer when we went thru.

Going straight thru is ok BUT rush hour is heavy going south in the afternoon.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.