Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flirting With a Motorhome Adventure

Korak
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

Thought I would post to say hello. My wife and I are flirting with taking a year to travel with our 3 year-old twins about 3 years from now when her pension will kick in so our income doesn't drop to zero.

Really encouraged by the amount of information available here. Thanks to all of you who are in here sharing your experience with the world. It's a real relief to find a resource like this.

Korak
10 REPLIES 10

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 2010 Subaru and it tows fine. As far as I know, the newer Subarus, since about 2015, are no longer towable, and before that only the manual transmission Subarus were towable.

As far as getting a motorhome or a trailer, My first RV was a trailer but we found it too small and replaced it with a larger trailer and wrecked it first trip out. Have been using a Class C ever since.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
bikendan wrote:

why would you pick a front wheel drive unibody station wagon for a tow vehicle? a Suburu would be the last vehicle i'd pick to tow a travel trailer, even if it has a 5k towing capacity.

He's not picking it. He's asking about options for a decision not in the near future and guessing owns that vehicle now.
But it's always fun to infer things that weren't said......

To the OP, well, ya got 3 years to figure out the options. There are plusses and minuses to different setups, from convienence to mobility to your own comfort level driving or towing large vehicles.

If this is something that is going to happen with relative certainty, you must already enjoy camping, so start now and you can do it more economically if you go the truck and trailer route.
Buy a pickup, then that's out of the way and not a significant cost over having another newer vehicle right now.
Then you can shop for a deal on a good used TT, buy it right, enjoy it for a couple years and then decide if you want to upgrade or go a different route. In the meantime, the you have a (the) tow vehicle and if you decide to upgrade trailers or go with a MH, you can sell the trailer without much depreciation.

The other benefit is you now have a new hobby/opportunity and you wont be a newb when you take the big trip.

Sounds like fun!!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
Korak wrote:

I'm trying to figure out if I'm better off going with a tow trailer and pull vehicle or a motorhome and pull-behind. Would the new Subaru Ascent make any sense as a pull-behind? It's not particularly small. The Ascent has a 5k towing capacity. Would that be too small for a trailer for a family of 4? I feel like such a newbie...

I'm not clear if you are considering trying to tow a trailer with the Subaru or tow it behind a motor Home? Great cars In a lot of ways....but not a good choice for either towing or towing behind a motor home.

If you are thinking of towing it behind a motor home only a manual transmission Subaru can be flat towed and I'm not even sure all of the manuals can anymore....assuming you can even get a manual....and a dolly won't work with an auto tranny and awd.

Clicck
Explorer
Explorer
The Subaru is not going to be a good tow vehicle, the 5k rating isn't even the most important number. Might want to read up on towing before you buy anything.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Korak wrote:
Thanks all! We're thinking we'll just go for a year so the kids can have that experience but then want to settle in so they get the experience of normal school, friendships, etc. They will be in elementary school so hopefully I can handle that level of education for home-schooling!

I'm trying to figure out if I'm better off going with a tow trailer and pull vehicle or a motorhome and pull-behind. Would the new Subaru Ascent make any sense as a pull-behind? It's not particularly small. The Ascent has a 5k towing capacity. Would that be too small for a trailer for a family of 4? I feel like such a newbie...

why would you pick a front wheel drive unibody station wagon for a tow vehicle? a Suburu would be the last vehicle i'd pick to tow a travel trailer, even if it has a 5k towing capacity.i
unless it's an Airstream, a regular TT's frontal area will be the biggest issue. that and payload capacity.
Ladder frame rear wheel drive vehicles are better for towing. That's why truck's and full size SUVs dominate the towing market.
And they have more torque, than somethinglike a Suburu.
a good tow vehicle has adequate torque, which a Suburu won't have.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Korak
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all! We're thinking we'll just go for a year so the kids can have that experience but then want to settle in so they get the experience of normal school, friendships, etc. They will be in elementary school so hopefully I can handle that level of education for home-schooling!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Stop Flirting .. Marry the Motor home 🙂

I went Full time a decade ago and never regretted it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Be brave and provide for the kids’ schooling in a s/b home.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife getting a pension in 3 years and just now have 3 year old twins? Good for you! Lots of great adventures out there for 6 year old’s. Keep you young...

And I thought I was being brave at 65 and getting puppies....:B
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Three year old twins and touring in three more years. What about school for the kids? That will also kick in.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad