cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shopping for Forest River Work n Play

ODT
Explorer
Explorer
I think I’m in the right section but please move my post if not.
I’ve been looking at these units for a while but don’t really know how to say what they’re worth. I found one I like and it’s listed for $9k. It’s a 2004 28’ and has been remodeled inside. If it’s in nice shape and good working order what is it worth? Can’t figure out how to get a picture from my phone on here.

I’m looking in Montana and the surrounding area if anyone close has one for sale. If I found one a little bigger I’d like that even better.

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
RVs Northwest is Spokane Valley, WA is a dealer for Work n Play
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
ODT wrote:

I’ve been looking at these units for a while but don’t really know how to say what they’re worth. I found one I like and it’s listed for $9k. It’s a 2004 28’ and has been remodeled inside. If it’s in nice shape and good working order what is it worth?

Apparently its worth $9K to the guy selling it. In the real world its worth about $5K if in great condition. If he was trading it in to a dealer he would be lucky to get $2.5K.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
ODT wrote:
1L243 wrote:
ODT wrote:
Ok, all good things to concider.
Another question is what other companies build one of these cargo trailer style campers? I saw one from I believe Roadmaster called a Campmaster that looked like the same thing. Also if you’re thinking I don’t know much about campers that would be correct, so thanks for your guy’s experience and input here.

Funny you should mention the Campmaster because I owned one of those too 2003 24 foot. They don't make the Campmaster any more. I think they stopped around 2006. The Campmaster had a enclosed garage. The trailer is divided in half 12 foot garage and 12 foot living area. They have a Wet bath, no bedroom so you have to make the dinette or the couch as a bed. That said I liked the Campmaster as my first Toy Hauler. I think you would be hard pressed to find one in great shape being that they are 12 to 15 years old....

What is is that is the must have list for a toy hauler. Enclosed garage? Price? ? Load capacity?

Just a place to sleep when I’m working away from home and get away on a weekend occasionally. Garage then price but I really don’t want to spend over $10k.
Are the work play and campmaster pretty much the only 2 like this?

There are a couple other brands that make cargo trailer type toy haulers like Mirage.....Balboa But I can think of any dealers that sell them.
When your looking at a enclosed garage toy hauler with a front bedroom your looking at 28 to 30 feet in length.

I think you can find a Toy hauler in your price range BUT it will be 10+ years old and in who knows what condition. That's 10 years sitting out in that Montana winter.

When shopping I would look for a original owner where the rig was stored under a covered parking area or in a shop.

Look for water damage...stains, wrinkled wall paper, soft spots in the floor under windows and cargo ramp. If you smell mildew run!

In the long run I think you would be better off to look at rigs no older than 5 years and 20K or less...
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

ODT
Explorer
Explorer
1L243 wrote:
ODT wrote:
Another question is what other companies build one of these cargo trailer style campers? I saw one from I believe Roadmaster called a Campmaster that looked like the same thing. Also if you’re thinking I don’t know much about campers that would be correct, so thanks for your guy’s experience and input here.

Funny you should mention the Campmaster because I owned one of those too 2003 24 foot. They don't make the Campmaster any more. I think they stopped around 2006. The Campmaster had a enclosed garage. The trailer is divided in half 12 foot garage and 12 foot living area. They have a Wet bath, no bedroom so you have to make the dinette or the couch as a bed. That said I liked the Campmaster as my first Toy Hauler. I think you would be hard pressed to find one in great shape being that they are 12 to 15 years old....

What is is that is the must have list for a toy hauler. Enclosed garage? Price? ? Load capacity?

Just a place to sleep when I’m working away from home and get away on a weekend occasionally. Garage then price but I really don’t want to spend over $10k.
Are the work play and campmaster pretty much the only 2 like this?

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
ODT wrote:

What is is that is the must have list for a toy hauler. Enclosed garage? Price? floorplan? Load capacity?
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

ODT
Explorer
Explorer

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had two work and plays a 2006 28BR and a 2011 30WR. I like the trailer it's rugged and it's heavy. We did not like the 28 because the front bed was sideways and not a walk around. Later we bought a 30 which had the walk around bed.

The W&P does not have a walk on roof (at least the older ones) They have FRP siding so make sure you do a good water damage search. Repair of FRP could be costly.
The two units I had were not sealed on the bottom or insulated. Unlike the new ones which are.
As far as price goes do a google search and see what the real market value is. My guess 9k does not seem bad but I would be concerned with a remodeled unit...

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
A pro inspection is money well spent.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Y-Guy
For photos you need to upload to a website 1st then link to it here. This page was set up to help out, http://photoposting.is-great.net

For value? You can check NADA for the model and it will give you a rough idea. But It's not the most accurate. Shopping for a while will give you some idea of what others are asking. This can be a good site to get an idea, pplmotorhomes.com yes they have RVs other then motorhomes.

Good question about the remodel, could have been from a leak. If that's the case it all depends on how much was damaged and how it was repaired.

It appears you might be new to RV'ing, if so I'd hire either an inspector or a mobile RV mechanic to come out and check it out for you.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
It would probably be prudent to inquire whether the remodel was done out of choice or need.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"