cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaky Peak Blue DEF box solution!

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I put another 2.5 gal Peak Blue DEF in the RAM yesterday using my theory of why they leak. The last two or three boxes I have put in did not leak, drip or have other issues.

When you screw on the spout the little black duckbill vent ends up at the near side of the box(not the center of the box). So to use the box extend the spout and tip the box up with this vent of the high side(like upside down). The vent lets air in from the high side of the spout to replace the DEF exiting without leaking a drop. As the box empties it gets raised up to have the near side flat to the side of the truck.

To say it another way, pour from the high side not the low side!

Try it, you will like it.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021
27 REPLIES 27

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
SweetLou wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
My filling process for using the Peak DEF fluid is very simple utilizing these 3 simple steps.

Step 1 Throw away the nozzle provided in the DEF box
Step 2 Connect my Ford Motorcraft DEF fluid nozzle and snap the nozzle to the DEF fill port.
Step 3 Poor the DEF fluid until the fluid doesn't flow anymore. Which means the tank is full.

The Ford Motorcraft nozzle is a excellent design that will not allow a over fill and spill condition and I never spill a drop.

Link

Mine is even better way. I cut a small hole in the back of the container for a vent, then put a funnel in the truck and poor all of it out with out any issues. Bada bing

Until you overfill and make a mess.

My method is impossible to overfill and I can maximize my DEF holding capacity. BAM...

A Ram will easily take a 2 1/2 gallon container when it is at the half mark on the gauge. I have done this for almost 5 years with no issue at all.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
SweetLou wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
My filling process for using the Peak DEF fluid is very simple utilizing these 3 simple steps.

Step 2 Connect my Ford Motorcraft DEF fluid nozzle and snap the nozzle to the DEF fill port.
Step 3 Poor the DEF fluid until the fluid doesn't flow anymore. Which means the tank is full.

The Ford Motorcraft nozzle is a excellent design that will not allow a over fill and spill condition and I never spill a drop.

Link

Mine is even better way. I cut a small hole in the back of the container for a vent, then put a funnel in the truck and poor all of it out with out any issues. Bada bing

1st intelligent post I've seen on this post. The brand is irrelevant

I do the same thing BTW with cutting the vent
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
SweetLou wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Link

Until you overfill and make a mess.

My method is impossible to overfill and I can maximize my DEF holding capacity. BAM...
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

HuckleberryHunt
Explorer
Explorer
SweetLou wrote:

I don't know if it's better, but this is what I do as well. I pop a hole with my knife right before tipping it into the fill spout.

However, thanks to the OP for the tip. I will have to try that. I too hate the leaky Peak containers.
2019 Outdoors RV 21DBS
2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Equalizer 4-point WDH

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"As for Walmart, I would pay two times the cost to avoid their stores!"

SAME here! BUT if I do buy their PEAK DEF I go thru the Automotive entrance and pay there avoiding the store!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
3 years and 47K and I have never pumped DEF into the Ram. The one time I was going to do it the noozle was all caked with white crud, so I took a pass. Chris

Was the actual part that goes into the opening caked or the surrounding area? I'm betting you did not get past the initial appearance with the spout tucked in it's holder.

Try it you will like it. Just don't squeeze the handle full blast!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

Link

2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Me Again wrote:
3 years and 47K and I have never pumped DEF into the Ram. The one time I was going to do it the noozle was all caked with white crud, so I took a pass. Chris

6 years and 155k miles and I never pumped DEF either after seeing the crystals on the nozzle.

5 plus years and 90K miles and I won't pump it either, plus I rarely run past any truck stops.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:

6 years and 155k miles and I never pumped DEF either after seeing the crystals on the nozzle.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
"Leaky Peak Blue DEF box solution" drive to a truck stop and fill up your DEF there, problem solved.

Don

It would cost me more than $10 in fuel to drive to the nearest truck stop and their prices for DEF and fuel are higher than average. I buy at Walmart so I can fill when I want without taking special trips to a filthy pump.

So you never live your home town or go on trips? You belong to a RV forum with a map that shows you have traveled to every state in the Union. Unless your truck is drinking DEF you have to drive by buy a truck stop at some point. As for Walmart, I would pay two times the cost to avoid their stores!

Today the cost of fresh def at the J is running $2.43 to $2.94 in Ohio and Pa. At Flying-J they have DEF in the Auto side also but I have not found their truck side to be "filthy" at all. To each their own though. For me the fact that I don't have to dispose of the box and plastic inside it is worth the convenience. I'm also not adding to the land fills and deforestation of our Country. A win to me.

Don

How much DEF are you guys using. If your not towing your should be able to run 10,000 miles on a tank of DEF. I'm running 13,000 miles in my truck. Now I don't don't do a lot of towing anymore and when I do it is pulling the boat to or out of the marina. But again if you are RVing I find it real hard to believe you never pass any place that has pump DEF.
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
harmanrk wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
It would cost me more than $10 in fuel to drive to the nearest truck stop and their prices for DEF and fuel are higher than average. I buy at Walmart so I can fill when I want without taking special trips to a filthy pump.

My guess is by the time you drive to the local Walmart, you've probably passed a truck stop, or are not too far away.

Nope, don't pass a truck stop. I guess all those trips to Walmart adds up. 1 time for DEF, another for soda, another for beans, another for underwear, and on and on. I am considering buying 2 or more items in the future, maybe that would work. :S

It is a good thing that I only live 1.2miles from Walmart or the amount of driving that I do would go up a lot.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
harmanrk wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:

My guess is by the time you drive to the local Walmart, you've probably passed a truck stop, or are not too far away.

Nope, don't pass a truck stop. I guess all those trips to Walmart adds up. 1 time for DEF, another for soda, another for beans, another for underwear, and on and on. I am considering buying 2 or more items in the future, maybe that would work. :S

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
harmanrk wrote:
Lynnmor wrote: