Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weight Distribution Hitch or Air Lift System?? Help

freddy4toes
Explorer
Explorer
I'm Brand New To This Great Forum...
I just bought a brand new 2018 Grand Design TT 37' "Reflection". Love the trailer, but now I need to set up my truck with the Hitch or an Air Bag System. Can some of you pro's out there(sure not me)tell me what the benefit is... one over the other, for me doing just the air lift system 7500lbs or a Weight Distribution Hitch. I have a 2012 Ford Crew cab 4x4 F350, Dual rear wheels, long bed, King Ranch, 6.7L Diesel, that I'm going to be buying soon. It has 30,000 miles on it and I don't know which way is going to be better. Stand alone Air Lift System or the Weight Distribution Hitch. The trailer is around 1,000lbs at the tongue and the trailer will be around 12,500lbs. Thanks for any suggestions??
23 REPLIES 23

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
I tow the below trailer with my 5.7 CrewMax SRD. I use a good WDH to stabilize the trailer when towing. I use the TRD sway bar to prevent sway in my truck. I use Bilstein shocks and Firestone Air Bags to level the truck and trailer together. One does not replace the other, rather they complement each other when used appropriately. Outfit your truck as needed and understand what each device is supposed to do.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
jbjuices wrote:
I have a 2017 F350 (SWR) with an 11,500lb TT on back. I have a Propride hitch and hooked it up last weekend and both Truck and trailer are perfectly level. No need for Airbags if you have a good WDH hitch set-up to level out Truck and Trailer

We keep getting these posts that explain leveling out the truck. The purpose of a WEIGHT DISTRIBUTING HITCH is to DISTRIBUTE WEIGHT to the front axle. SPRINGS and AIR BAGS are for supporting a vehicle, and you either have enough support or not.

jbjuices
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 F350 (SWR) with an 11,500lb TT on back. I have a Propride hitch and hooked it up last weekend and both Truck and trailer are perfectly level. No need for Airbags if you have a good WDH hitch set-up to level out Truck and Trailer
RV: 2018 Highland Ridge Open Range 328BHS
TV: 2017 Ford F350 Platinum
2nd RV: 2010 Jayco 1207 PUP
2nd TV: 2004 Ford Excursion V10
Me ('72), DW ('76),
DS ('02), DD ('05), DD ('08)
Yellow Lab ('14), Golden Doodle ('12), Bichon Frise ('18)

wrvond
Explorer
Explorer
I use a WDH (Blue Ox) on every single TT I tow, regardless of weight (or lack of it). Even with the heaviest of campers, my truck settles, but doesn't sag. In other words, it starts out tail high but settles to level. There are those that would say I don't need a WDH, but I know better.
Today's trucks are very good at staying level even with a camper hooked up, but even though they look level, the weight is still shifted around because your rear axle is now a pivot point. Using the WDH moves weight back onto the TT axles and the steer axle, making for a much better balanced rig.
With the WDH, even when towing campers as small as 17 feet long, I can tell a difference in how the trailer pulls.
I had a 2012 with air bags and they proved to be more of a PITA than they were worth where TT's were concerned. The only time they were useful was when I hooked up a 5er.
2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS
2017 F350 Lariat 6.7L DRW

Clockman
Explorer
Explorer
You don't need a WDH or Air Bags... Just get a good hitch rated for 2000lbs tongue wt like a B&W class 5..

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
You definitely have enough truck,but do you have enough hitch?

I see know advantage to leveling bar hitches if and only if,your truck has enough hitch for the tongue weight..Sway is another matter..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
My Tahoe levels itself but the WDH throws the weight up and back.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
freddy4toes wrote:
... and I don't know which way is going to be better. Stand alone Air Lift System or the Weight Distribution Hitch.

You need a WD hitch system

An air bag system does NOT take the place of a WD hitch system.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
According to Ford, you would be "required" to use a WD hitch.
The factory hitch that is bolted to the frame of the truck has the following limits:

1. without weight distribution ( weight carrying ) 8500 pounds trailer, 850 tongue weight.

2. with weight distribution, 19,000 pounds trailer, 1900 tongue weight.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, you want a WDH as mentioned, it does something totally different from air bags.

Airbags help if your suspension is bottoming out a lot...with a 1 ton, that shouldn't be an issue.

PS: You should be way above 1000lb hitch weight. Probably closer to 1500lb. 12-15% is best. Too light and you get handling problems.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Another thing to look at is the hitch itself. It probably has two weight limits on it. One with a wdh and one without wdh. Also, donโ€™t be surprised when your actual tongue weight comes in closer to 1200 to 1400 lbs. , not 1000.
Happy travels!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Leaning toward a WDH? Leaning...interesting. Why do you think I have one? Because I enjoyed spending more money and love the extra time it takes to hitch up?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
freddy4toes wrote:
I'm leaning towards a WDH.

Just "leaning"? :@

As the saying goes - "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink."

Pity. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
A weight distribution system transfers some weight forward to the TVโ€™s front wheels and some back to the TTโ€™s wheels. Good braking and steering requires these transfers.