cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering Newmar with Cat Diesel - heat?

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering a 2003 Newmar Dutchstar with a Cat Diesel that has become available in my area. This unit has 33,000 miles on it, 2,000 hours on the Onan. This unit belongs to a neighbor friend of mine, and I have been around this unit for about 10 years now, camping together. I have spent the last several weeks going over this unit, checking it all out anyway, and then suddenly a co-worker tells me that I should be aware that "DIESELS LIKE TO OVERHEAT IN THE HOT SUMMER IF DRIVING IN WEST TEXAS HEAT 110 DEGREE WEATHER".
I have never heard of this at all. My gas unit has never overheated but the Onan gas generator did once.
My question is, IS THERE ANY TRUTH TO THIS ? I mostly drive in the summertime because my wife is a school teacher and we mostly get to go on vacation in the summer when it is very hot. We like to travel west (which puts us crossing Texas).
23 REPLIES 23

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
you co worker does not know what he is talking about. properly maintained it should present no problem. it has a side radiator which in general will run cleaner than a rear radiator IMHO. still needs to be cleaned and maintained
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
gswcgi wrote:
The fallacy about rear radiator diesels over heating is total nonsense !! JMO

If and only if you wash your rad after every trip.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

gswcgi
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2003 Safari DP with a CAT 3126E engine with 58,000 miles on it, I am the original owner, I live in Reno, NV at 4,700'. All roads out of here are up. We tow a 5,500 lb vehicle. My rig is 36' long and the total length with tow is 55'. I have towed all over the West in the heat of the summer and never over heated. Both my transmission and engine always run very cool. Using the Allison 6 speed transmission correctly climbing grades is essential to maintaining reasonable running temperatures in hot weather. I wash my radiator, transmission cooler and charge air cooler after each trip. The fallacy about rear radiator diesels over heating is total nonsense !! JMO
'03 Safari, DP, 36" Nissan 4X4 toad

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Gundog wrote:
My slobber tube is only about 1' long sticking straight down and the end is cut at an angle. I will have to do mine a little differently but with the same concept.

Thanks Mike

Gundog,
The "angle" cut is done that way for a reason. Long, long ago, way before STAR WARS, engine crank case pressure in gas engines, was relieved much the same way in say, the '50s and early '60s. The "blow-by tube" was hung straight down, just like yours and many others, and cut at an angle, just like yours and others. The term they used waaaaaaaaay back then was "Road Draft Tube".

They (the then engineers) calculated the air velocity traveling under the vehicle, would "draft" those fumes/oil mist/crank case pressure, out of the engine, by cutting it at an angle. Well, way back then, it was the best they had.

But, today, in many of our diesel engine, like the CAT 3126 and C-7, that "road draft" system ain't gonna cut it due to potentially improper amount of oil and other reasons. So, just as you're planning, get it extended out towards the bumper/rear cap lower of the coach. And do make sure that, your dip stick is marked correctly for the proper amount of oil for your engine.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Gundog wrote:
My slobber tube is only about 1' long sticking straight down and the end is cut at an angle. I will have to do mine a little differently but with the same concept.

Thanks Mike

Yup, that is the common set up.

Easiest answer is to cut off the end square. Use a 1" barb to barb fitting and 4' of 1" ID hose for the extension. Will also need two hose clamps. Yes oil resistant hose is best, but even the cheap clear reinforced hose will last years.

Use zip ties to secure the extension-- again, making sure it only goes "down hill".
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks Mike
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:
Just make sure your added piping is downhill all the way. No traps for moisture (to freeze) or oil to block air flow.

Yes, EXTREMELY important, particularly if you ever drive in well below freezing temperatures.

If you have a drip loop (sag) the moisture (normal byproduct of combustion) can collect and freeze, totally blocking crankcase breather. NOT GOOD.

It does not need to extend all the way to the back of the coach, just far enough back that it can't be sucked up by the fan.

BTW, this applies to all brands of diesels with open crankcase breathers. I believe to meet the 2008 EPA specs, all diesels went to closed crankcase breathers.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just make sure your added piping is downhill all the way. No traps for moisture (to freeze) or oil to block air flow.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Gundog wrote:

Do you have any more pictures of the slobber tube Mod?

Here's the slobber tube as it came from the factory. You can see how much oil is on the end. The slip joint leads to the extension piping.

I went with 1-1/2 PVC, 1-1/4 would have worked as well. An 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 slip joint makes the connection.

Here's the far end. My temporary pipe hanger became permanent when the pipe hanger I bought for the job got used on the generator tailpipe.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
That's true of all rear radiator diesel pushers. On a CAT, the "slobber tube" (crankcase vent) dumps out under the engine and gets sucked into the charge air cooler and radiator. The fix is to build a slobber extension.

Some coaches have tried to solve this issue by putting the radiator on the side. In order to do this, they set up a maintenance prone hydraulic drive for the fan. Also, all piping is longer increasing the chances of a rock getting kicked up and causing a leak.

If you have a rear rad, yearly degreasing and cleaning is a must.

Do you have any more pictures of the slobber tube Mod?
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
kmb1966 wrote:
Thank you for the responses so far. I asked this person for more details of this overheating claim. It goes like this:
The diesel engine is in the rear, the radiator is in the rear. His theory is that when or if there was ever an OIL LEAK, the oil leak while driving gets on the radiator, clogs the radiator not allowing it to cool. Even after the oil leak is repaired, the radiator remains clogged until it is removed and cleaned. Hmmmm............

Your coworkers theory has some merit but the overheating due to radiator oil fouling isn't a west Texas or even the time of the year problem. You could overheat anywhere and time with a fouled radiator stack. Outside air temp contributes some but is normally not the trigger for an event. The problem with the theory is specific multiple events must first occur to achieve the end result of an overheat all of which can be avoided with a proactive and effective preventative maintenance program.

And the problem isn't unique to rear engine diesels. The oil fill on a Ford F53 chassis is directly above the left corner of the radiator. Get sloppy during an oil change enough times and you'll easier foul the radiator. Transmission dipstick, and the only way to refill after a drain, is over the right corner.

2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

C20
Explorer
Explorer
We had overheating issues with ours. Freightliner couldn't figure it out. Had our fire department mechanic look into it and Freightliner had a campaign on the fan clutch. Turned out that was the issue. New fan clutch installed. Was in Texas in mid august and it was 105 out and bumper stop and go traffic. Never got above half on the temperature gauge.

No worries about rear radiators at all!
2017 Newmar Essex
97 Jeep Wrangler
16 HD CVO Street glide
2015 Challenger Hellcat
2021 Hellcat Durango
2020 ram 2500 Cummins

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Your coworker does not want to have to buy a DP to keep up with you. That's my take.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
kmb1966 wrote:
I am considering a 2003 Newmar Dutchstar with a Cat Diesel that has become available in my area. This unit has 33,000 miles on it, 2,000 hours on the Onan. This unit belongs to a neighbor friend of mine, and I have been around this unit for about 10 years now, camping together. I have spent the last several weeks going over this unit, checking it all out anyway, and then suddenly a co-worker tells me that I should be aware that "DIESELS LIKE TO OVERHEAT IN THE HOT SUMMER IF DRIVING IN WEST TEXAS HEAT 110 DEGREE WEATHER".
I have never heard of this at all. My gas unit has never overheated but the Onan gas generator did once.
My question is, IS THERE ANY TRUTH TO THIS ? I mostly drive in the summertime because my wife is a school teacher and we mostly get to go on vacation in the summer when it is very hot. We like to travel west (which puts us crossing Texas).

Ok,
You stated you've been around this RV and been camping together for a period of 10 years, correct? If so, did you actually travel together? If so, did you see or hear the owner EVER complain about ANY overheating conditions in that 10 year period? If you've never heard of seen him complain on any heating issues, then logically, it's not gonna heat when you purchase it. Now, of course things wear out, get stuck and all that so, the "Potential" for overheating is there. But, the probability should be way down.

I'm also assuming that you more than likely, being a somewhat close friend of this neighbor, know the service and maintenance history of this coach. And if that's the case, they you already know this coaches operating circumstances, correct?

You kinda need to sit down with this co-worker and do a bit of explaining on the fact that NOT ALL DIESELS are the same, operate the same, have the same issues and troubles, and more. There's a whole ton of CAT owners on here and other RV forums that are completely happy with their CAT engines. All you need to do is ask.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND