cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Colour of water hose

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
The water hose between the tap and the trailer, why are they white? Any issues with using a new garden hose instead?
86 REPLIES 86

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is not color coding, as hoses for drinking water are not always white. Also not all white hoses are suitable for drinking water or "food grade" hoses.

The issue is about what might leach into the water from the hose (mostly petrochemicals today, old hose designs using rubber leached heavy metals).

I have hoses labeled for drinking water that I use for permanent hookups, but do my gravity fill from a garden hose, after rinsing out the water that has been sitting in it.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
mike-s wrote:
Lead is in lots of things. Wheel weights, fishing sinkers, glass, bullets, and yes, brass. Brass is commonly used for hose fittings.

slowly disappearing from fishing sinkers and shotgun shells.
bumpy

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
allen8106 wrote:
Many non-potable water hoses contain things like lead. You don't want to use them.
Lead ????? I'm sorry but, I doubt it. They don't use Lead for anything anymore.

At one time it may have been in hoses but, those hoses have long ago been thrown away.
Lead is in lots of things. Wheel weights, fishing sinkers, glass, bullets, and yes, brass. Brass is commonly used for hose fittings.

WaterJosh
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:
Most of the bottled water is spring water.

Niagra bottled water is from the City of Stockton's municipal water supply, I used to work there and they would get mad when we ran our wells, it made them backwash their RO filters more often

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jacksons wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
johnhicks wrote:
And bottled water comes from municipal water supplies......

But then its treated furtherby running it through a sack of Kingsford, and reversed Psychosis.

and you actually witnessed this??

I like the idea of reverse Psychosis.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
but that's only in California
Jay D.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
allen8106 wrote:
Many non-potable water hoses contain things like lead. You don't want to use them.

Yes.... LEAD

The white hose is FDA-approved.

https://getiqed.com/blogs/food-for-thought/is-there-lead-in-your-hose

that article stated :The researchers tested 32 garden hoses from six national retailers, including The Home Depot, Loweโ€™s and Amazon, for lead, cadmium, phthalates, bromine (associated with brominated flame retardants), PVC, antimony and tin (indicating oganotins). Water from select hoses was also tested. Such chemicals, said a press release announcing the studyโ€™s results, have been linked to birth defects, impaired learning, liver toxicity, premature births and early puberty in laboratory animals, and hormone disruption among other serious health problems.
but didn't say what or how much was found if any in the hoses.
bumpy

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
allen8106 wrote:

Yes.... LEAD

The white hose is FDA-approved.

https://getiqed.com/blogs/food-for-thought/is-there-lead-in-your-hose
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
allen8106 wrote:

At one time it may have been in hoses but, those hoses have long ago been thrown away.

next time your at your friends house you had better ask how old it is. almost all homes built in the 80s and earlier had lead soldered copper pipes. people still live in them there are hundreds of them in my area. these people have been drinking the water for years and are still healthy. lead consumption from one or two hose fittings is just plane hysteria.
Jay D.

sempka
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:

I used to have a friend that put beer on his Rice Krispies in the morning and called it Snap, Crackle, and Burp.

Beer just doesn't work with Sugar Frosted Flakes, don't ask how I know..
2000 Holiday Rambler Admiral

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Optimistic Paranoid wrote:
There was a time when drinking beer was healthier than drinking either water or milk.

And it still is......its 4:26 AM and I am having one right now. Beer....Breakfast of Champions and it's whats for dinner.

It has your 4 basic food groups. Water, Alcohol, Hops, Grain.

I used to have a friend that put beer on his Rice Krispies in the morning and called it Snap, Crackle, and Burp.

Good idea, my granddaughter has some fruit loops in the rig. Fruit Loops awash in Pumpkin Ale.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
allen8106 wrote:

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Optimistic Paranoid wrote:
There was a time when drinking beer was healthier than drinking either water or milk.

And it still is......its 4:26 AM and I am having one right now. Beer....Breakfast of Champions and it's whats for dinner.

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:

Ah, but it doesn't contain CHOCOLATE, which is also absolutely necessary for good health, long life, and happiness!