cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Things we saw on the road today. 250 miles.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
3 or 4 roofs bubbled up in the front. 3 or 4 bumper pulls riding extremely nose high or low. The roof issue is hard for the driver to know about.

A trailer extremely out of level is the dealer and/or the owners flaut.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021
21 REPLIES 21

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I saw a FW this summer somewhere on an interstate and a big section of the roof was puffed up into the air like a balloon as if someone pumped air under the membrane. Crazy! It's moments like that when I wish I had a dash cam. Would have taken a pic but it was gone in seconds...

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer
easycamper wrote:
MNGeeks61 wrote:
I've seen a lot more F150's with fifth wheels this year too. Can't imagine they're all max payload.

Mine isn't.

That's true. You're not towing a 35-37 footer...

More than a few I see on Highway 169 north of the Cities are:

-Nose high by over a foot
-triple towing with a boat (yes I saw one with an F150, I was curious on his weight on that one as he had a short fiver, but sure it's possible he's fine)
-towing an older model and not a "light" version (even the "light" versions can be plenty heavy)

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco-noslide wrote:
Sounds like some RVers dont' understand everything that goes into RVing. Or could it be like people buying houses that really can't afford to own a house so things go unattended to?

marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:
Ignorance is bliss !!

Both so true. In the past about 6% of the population was into RVing/camping in some way, today that number is up to about 8%. That means that suddenly there are a bunch of folks (like me) that have recently (past 4 or 5 years) jumped into RVing. Most don't spend much time on forums (I spend way too much), most don't understand the issues of a trailer or motorhome, and many could care less. If you were to tell someone with a trailer with torsion axles that nose high will damage the axles and overload the rear tires too, they would probably go "yea, right...." and walk away, unwilling to learn or understand what they don't know.

Right now RV's are holding their prices pretty good, but in a couple of years, you will be able to find some good deals on these "I'm tired of this, its not fun any more, just work" trailers and Motorhomes.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
First off, the rule is, "Pictures, or it didn't happen!"

Not knowing something is ignorance, by definition. So by extension the 99% who don't visit the RV boards to "get OCD" are ignorant, and ignorance is bliss!

The reality is, even if you intentionally do everything wrong to the extreme, muntiple things have to fail in spectacular fashion to have a result any more serious than ending up on the side of the road waiting for a service truck. Having things set up badly increases your chance of having a serious issue, but it is far from a guarantee that you will have a serious issue.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:

Without weight numbers your also guessing and thanks for making my point.

Absolutely NO GUESSING at all when you have 2100llbs of payload and a trailer that has an empty pin of 2800lbs. Numbers are numbers which are the facts Period.
2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am amazed at the number of people that pull utility trailers with a 4x4 truck and a straight hitch. Yesterday at the home improvement store I saw a guy loading up a trailer and the coupler of the trailer had to be over a foot higher that the back of the trailer. The back of the trailer had to be only about 6 inches from the ground. I wonder if he has any idea what he is doing to his equipment?
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Without weight numbers your also guessing and thanks for making my point.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
If they are crossing the scales they were commercial rigs hauling for a living as RVs are not required to hit the scales as of yet...and it's no guessing weights when you see a 3/4 ton diesel truck with 2100lbs of payload hauling a 15k 5th wheel that specs pin weights of 2800lbs EMPTY. So they would be 700 over in empty pin alone PLUS what they have added into the trailer PLUS the 5th wheel hitch weight usually 200lbs PLUS the family of 5 in the truck weighing in at what?!?!

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
FMCSA home page at one time says the most overloaded truck they see across the scales is a one ton DRW.
Having hauled for a living I've always been amassed how RV folks can tell if a truck is overloaded. Guess I don't have "the eye" for guessing weights.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
MNGeeks61 wrote:
I've seen a lot more F150's with fifth wheels this year too. Can't imagine they're all max payload.

As I've seen the 3/4 tons for the past 20 years now with 5th wheels that put them at least 1500lbs over their payload and GVWR also just with pin weight alone. :R

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:
Ignorance is bliss !!

In a lot of cases it's not ignorance. In the real world way less than 1% of people pulling trailers ever visit an RV board to get OCD about going to cat scales, adjusting or debating hitches, checking tire pressures hourly while adjusting them to the .5 of a pound, or some of the other general foolishness.

Even the most popular RV boards like FRF that claim 110K members might have 2500 active ones. They estimate 9 million registered RVs in the US.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

easycamper
Explorer
Explorer
MNGeeks61 wrote:

Mine isn't.
2015 F-150 5.0L SuperCab 4WD 3.55
2013 Springdale 253FWRLLS
People like to make generalizations.

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Ignorance is bliss !!

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like some RVers dont' understand everything that goes into RVing. Or could it be like people buying houses that really can't afford to own a house so things go unattended to?
Jayco-noslide