Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: Towing through Yellowstone.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Towing through Yellowstone.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
dennydecuir

Once removed from the State Hospital, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/18 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm planning a trip from Mt. Rushmore to West Yellowstone towing a 33' FW, and it seems the only logical route is through the park. Can anyone tell me what I'm getting into, or advise an alternate route? It'll be late August.

Thom02099

Loveland,CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/18 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dennydecuir wrote:

I'm planning a trip from Mt. Rushmore to West Yellowstone towing a 33' FW, and it seems the only logical route is through the park. Can anyone tell me what I'm getting into, or advise an alternate route? It'll be late August.

A goodly number of folks on here have made the same trip, and they frequently use I-90 from the Black Hills to Bozeman MT, and then south on US 191. Apparently a good alternate route.

Going the way you're considering, you have the Bighorn mountains to get over. And that means US 14 or US 16. US 16 is usually recommended over US 14 (or US 14A), as being the least difficult alternative through the Bighorns. US 16 is a beautiful drive, with a long downhill from the top of Powder River Pass to Ten Sleep. If you go that way, be mindful that it's a prime route for a lot of folks on motorcycles, out for a ride in the mountains.

2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/18 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Biggest issue would be the traffic. Early morning out of West Yellowstone would be best.
East of Cody is some mountains as indicated in prior post. Not bad just be cautious.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/18 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

Biggest issue would be the traffic. Early morning out of West Yellowstone would be best.
East of Cody is some mountains as indicated in prior post. Not bad just be cautious.

Double ditto, take the time you would normally take to make a trip of this length and at least triple it. First the speed limit is low. Second there are mobs of people who stop at every chipmunk and get out of their vehicles to get a better look. They stop right on the roadway, a Bison or Bear will cause real traffic jams.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/18 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Through the park can be a real chore. The roads are narrow and winding. When we went we parked the rig and took a tour bus to the sites. The tour bus driver pointed out numerous gash's on trees beside the road where motor home mirrors are knocked off. Tree's are right at the edge of the pavement. They actually go out and collect the mirrors every evening. Then there are the bison, who when they take over the road belongs to them. We lost hours literally when the whole herd took over the road. If your in a hurry I wouldn't go through the park.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS. Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey.

Bruce Kyles

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/18 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree strongly with above post of taking 16 and NOT 14. I posted before on 14 and no fun at all. Have been through the park twice with 40'DP with Ford Edge toad and no problems at all. Went through the middle of the park and was slow with the wildlife but just sat back and enjoyed the trip. There are a couple of good campgrounds in W. Yellowstone.

2003 Dutchstar (reskinned/paint 2009)
2011 Ford Edge

NEOK

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/18 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Went through the park about 3 weeks ago entering through west Yellowstone entry at about 8:30am. Didn't encounter much traffic until around Mamouth Hot Springs. There is a large section of road of road construction between Norris and Mamouth Hot Springs that reated a delay and the road was mainly dirt. All that being said we saw several good size motor homes and trailers in the park.

neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/18 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Easy drive through Yellowstone.

As far as Bighorns I took 14 eastbound and 16 westbound. Did not seem like much difference. Either way is a bit slower than an interstate but far more scenic.

* This post was edited 09/29/18 08:30pm by time2roll *

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Gonzo42

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/18 11:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMHO, Yellowstone NP should be visited by every citizen of these United States sometime in their lifetime.

Last year was my second, After 45 years from my first time. AWeSOME!

MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/18 12:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You won't encounter any crowds. It'll be October. I'd also advise taking Hwy 16 to Cody and then into the park. Here is a good article of all the roads leading to the park:

http://www.rvtechmag.com/travel/4_yellowstonebyrv.php

Once inside the park the roads are drivable by bigger RVs. You shouldn't have any issues.

Keep close watch on the weather and check the park's web site for any road issues. Have a good trip!

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Towing through Yellowstone.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS