cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

rear view camera for travel trailer

floor_guy
Explorer
Explorer
does anyone have good reviews for a wireless rear view camera for the back of R.V.?
my tt is 38 ft, looking for very simple set up and install
9 REPLIES 9

floor_guy
Explorer
Explorer
After having used Tadi bros which had very spotty reception, just not reliable, and purchasing a furrion which is supposed be good for up to 100 ft. did not work for me either. My dealer installed the Furrion which I bought from him and just could not get a constant picture for longer than 3 seconds so we decided to go with a hard wire system. I have 38 ft. tt and 2500 silverado hd t.v.
bought camera from amazon called veclesus model vs701ms with a 7" monitor.
so far it works flawless, crystal clear picture and nightime pic is awesome....$169.00 which is much less than the wireless furrion for $400.00 just had to pay a little more for Hard wire install, I couldn't be happier

Pure_Diesel
Explorer
Explorer
2edgesword wrote:
I have a Yuwei rear observation camera with 5" monitor. Here is my review on Amazon...

Yuwei Rear Observation Camera Review

X2

This unit works great. No fluctuating picture at all. I have disconnected the trailer and pulled the truck around my cul-de-sac almost 200' away and it still has a great reception.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
jerryjay11 wrote:
I have the Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL which also has the repeater you mount at the front of your TT and it has a 100' range. It does provide a crystal clear view, and I am able to back into a campsite without the wife standing out there and me yelling, "If you can't see my mirror, then I can't see you!"

Marriage saver!

That model is discontinued but still available numerous places. Ours had crystal clear view also, for about 2 1/2 years. Then either moisture infiltrated the camera or some coating on the lens degraded. Furrion was contacted in am attempt to buy just the camera whose only suggestion was to buy their complete new system, the "Vision S", at a much higher price than the original FOS48. Plenty of other alternatives than paying Furrions (who is in partnership with LCI) inflated prices. In addition to repair parts either being not availible, they will not honor their warranty if you buy from Amazon and some other online merchants. Thats in the fine print you recieve after the purchase.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Yuwei rear observation camera with 5" monitor. Here is my review on Amazon...

Yuwei Rear Observation Camera Review

Last_Train
Explorer
Explorer
We've had great success with the wi-fi camera from Swift Hitch - their SH04 model. Since it broadcasts an SSID signal just like your home wi-fi router, you can receive the signal and display it on any number of devices like mobile phones and/or tablets simultaneously. They have an app available to be downloaded that you then install on your phones and tablets. It's friendly to both IOS and Andriod devices.

The camera produces a real time color image that is sharp and clear. It has a magnetic base that also has two holes for using screws for additional mounting security. On our Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS we have mounted it on the rig's bumper and also recently on a metal platform we installed at the top rear roof seam of our rig. Swift Hitch provides the charging cable to allow you to tap into your running light power. But the camera's own battery has a 5 hour life cycle before needing recharging.

While on the road I grab the camera's wifi signal on either or both of my iPad and iPhone and use the Swift Hitch app on each to access the video. (The vendor does provide some mounting hardware to stick a phone on your dash.)

Range-wise, I have received a healthy, full strength or near full strength wi-fi signal in the cab of our Ridgeline in all travel and weather regimes. So in our case we are talking about a 23'+ length of our couples' camper to the front seat of our truck. Not a huge distance . . . under 40'. But I have tested the signal at much longer distances with the camera mounted in the roof top position - reaching about 100' while I have watched my iPad while walking across our yard away from the rig. The Swift Hitch web site talks about the camera being mounted on top of a full size tractor trailer rig and similar longer distance applications, and I have no reason to doubt the ability of the camera to handle those longer distances than our own application.

We use it all the time. It's really handy if you find yourself in freeway traffic in a major city (happens to us all the time in the Houston area - and was great coming through Chicago this past summer on our way back home from Ohio). And, of course, it is outstanding for back in sites at your campground destination. Still use a pair of walkie talkies to verify everything with the DW, but the camera makes it easy peazy. And it has night time infrared Imaging to allow you to see in dark conditions.

We also use it as an additional security camera at home when it is linked to our home wi-fi network. In that application, you can access the camera's image from anywhere in the world if you have access to the internet. It's a fun and useful device.
2016 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2018 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL which also has the repeater you mount at the front of your TT and it has a 100' range. It does provide a crystal clear view, and I am able to back into a campsite without the wife standing out there and me yelling, "If you can't see my mirror, then I can't see you!"

Marriage saver!

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same camera the ktmrfs is talking about. I have it mounted on my truck. When I get a few bucks up I will get one for the back of my trailer. I checked into it and you can get a longer cord for it so the transmitter will be closer to the screen and receive better. I'm happy with it.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

floor_guy
Explorer
Explorer
thanks, I'll check it out

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
my experience is 38ft and wireless don't do well together. The one that does work well at that distance is the Garmin camera that mates with Garmin GPS. they let you run a video feed to a wireless transmitter you can mount on the trailer tongue or pin box. Works great.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!