cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

intermitant AC power from generac Q-55G

oldgulfc
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2000 gulfstream c-class with this generator on board. We had to evacuate because of the recent hurricane. We ended up in a truck stop in SC. so fired up the old generator and it worked fine for about 20 min. before it stopped putting out 120V. I started trouble shooting but before I found anything it started putting out power again for about 10 min.and then cut off again. The engine runs fine the power is just intermittent. Took it in for repair and they could not get it to fail and said it was fine. It did it again yesterday but it won't stay off long enough to trouble shoot it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
6 REPLIES 6

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tnx for that info. Glad you got it to work.
Yes, you have to hold the start button as per my owners manual in my 2018.

oldgulfc
Explorer
Explorer
It turned out to be the regulator. In the process I also learned that the new regulator is wired a little different internally. My old regulator would create 120V as soon as it started, The new one requires that you hold the start button 3-4 seconds even if the motor starts immediately to build exciter voltage. It took several phone calls and several hand fulls of pulled out hair to get that figured out. Hope that tid bit helps someone in the future. Thanks again for everyone's input.

oldgulfc
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the good advice.I never load the generator before warm up but had not heard of unloading before shutdown.I do exercise it under load about ever 4-6 weeks. Have a lot of storm clean up to do but hope to get back to the problem soon.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make sure you use a good multimeter like a Fluke.
I agree, check the wires, sometimes they have breaks hidden by the insulation . Don't forget to check the grounds as well as neutrals. Wiggle them throughout the wire where you can. Check solder at the circuit board for cracks. Check the wires at the junction box.

Do you normally turn the generator off as you're using it with a draw on it ?
Ex: is the a/c on or other electrical items when you turn it off ?
If so, I was advised not to do that and get in the practice of turning off all draws prior to turning off the generator . Leaving things on can cause premature voltage regulator failures.
If you exhausted wire and connection testing , it might be worth it to just change the regulator and take from there.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
As gbopp says, this could very well be a loose electrical connection somewhere. Check also the connections at the transfer switch (assuming you have one) or the generator receptacle for the shore power cord (if by chance you don't have a transfer switch). A failing transfer switch could also work intermittently even if the connections to it are tight.

I would tend to doubt it's problems inherent in the generator itself, as the generator control module typically will shut down the generator if there's a fault causing no output. (I know that's true for Onan RV generators, but only suspect it's also true for Generac ones...I could be wrong there.)

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Are all the connections to the generator clean (corrosion free) and tight?
Reset the breakers on the generator. Turn off and back on.
I know the Onan in our 96 Southwind will act strange if there is a little corrosion.
Do you run it under a load on a regular basis?