cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Washing camper

Crown
Explorer
Explorer
Hello My question is what to use and what not to use to wash the outside of my camper the front is a Fiberglass cap
And the rest is metal
Trying to stay cheap and not have to go buy the exspensive stuff from a camper store
Thanks
16 REPLIES 16

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Crown wrote:
Trying to stay cheap and not have to go buy the exspensive stuff from a camper store
Thanks

I use the same stuff that I wash my cars and trucks with - Turtle Wax wash soap.

I have a 1 gallon jug of it I bought.

Meguiars - found at any auto parts store/walmart
The wax will take off the dullness in a heartbeat and leave a nice glossy finish.

Before and after

I wax my MH once a month while I'm on the road when I stop at a CG.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Crown wrote:
Thanks

I use the same stuff that I wash my cars and trucks with - Turtle Wax wash soap.

I have a 1 gallon jug of it I bought.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
starcraft69 wrote:
top coat right off

What exactly is "top coat"?
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
I don't overdo the wash thing. I bought a trailer to camp, not clean. That said, I do wash it probs twice a season. Spic and Span on the roof and Zipwax on the rest. Reliable brand cleaner for the black streaks. I have an extendable split bristle brush I use. It's firm but soft. I keep it on board for sweeping the awning as well. It wasn't inexpensive but its held up well for 10 years.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Blue Coral car wash and these to scrub & dry. The long handle lets me reach the top of the front cap on my 5W, squeegee the front to stop water spots.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Unger-18-in-Microfiber-Combi-Squeegee-Scrubber-Connect-and-Clean-Locking-System-961720/203177345

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Unger-8-16-ft-Aluminum-Telescopic-Pole-with-Connect-and-Clean-Locking-Cone-and-PRO-Locking-Collar-962760/203177325
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
Your rv represents a lot of after tax money, so maintaining its appearance is of some importance. Whatever soap you would buy to wash your car should work just fine, and for sure a coat of name brand wax on the fiberglass cap will keep bugs from sticking and maintain appearance. I would start at walmart car care section as most of their products work equally well on rv's.
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer

Cleans real good AND leaves a real nice shine with real wax.

After buying many different products THIS is the only one I will use on my RV now.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

RckyMtnVia
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Walmart Blue Coral and Lucas Slick Mist. The rv and cars at home look like I have spent hours waxing with a paste wax. Love that Slick Mist, about $7 at Walmart.
2022 Forester MBS 2401B

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use what Newmar said to use. Baby shampoo. Will get it clean but not remove wax or leave a residue. Then spray and wipe with Lucas Slick Mist for a nice shine and UV protection.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
mleekamp wrote:
Agree w/ starcraft69. Never use dishsoap on RV or vehicles. They are designed to cut "grease" and coatings. Use a decent car wash soap...about any will do.

Agree! Never use dish detergent on any vehicle.

Use any commercially available car wash soap from Wally World or your favorite retailer. For bugs, I use diluted (50/50) Simple Green sprayed onto the surface. I have a very soft bristle brush for the entire camper.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
mleekamp wrote:
Agree w/ starcraft69. Never use dishsoap on RV or vehicles. They are designed to cut "grease" and coatings. Use a decent car wash soap...about any will do.

agreed. In a pinch you can use ivory liquid, it isn't near as harsh as other dish soap and isn't as likely to remove any wax etc.

Dawn is the dish soap often used to remove wax coating before waxing again. Good on dishes, not so good on cars/trucks/trailers.

And another thing I've found REALLY handy. Griot's garage has two items worth the price.

1) bug barricade. a spray on coating I use on the front of the truck and the trailer cap. keeps bugs from sticking hard to the paint etc. made to not be an issue to paint or gell coat etc.

2) Bug and smudge remover. I first hit the front of the truck and trailer cap with soapy water, gets 90% of the bugs off if I use (1). then hit the rest with the bug remover. Makes quick work of cleanup without removing wax or leaving any streaks.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
If the RV is waxed, I've found that just using water will get most of the dirt off.
Bugs, tar, etc. takes something a little stronger.

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
Never use dish soap!!!!!!! it cuts all wax and top coat right off

If you want to keep it cheap then use cheap car wash from Walmart like blue coral.

I use Meguiars Washing & Wax
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog