cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hwy 70 From Denver to the Utah boarder

dave_330
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 42FT. motor home towing a car dolly. Can anyone tell me how the mountain roads are, I am going from Denver to the Utah boarder the first week in Nov.
14 REPLIES 14

EnzoColorado
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just drove through I-40 from Denver to Utah twice in the past 2 weeks. Going west, the tough climb are the first one after Golden (MM ~250), last few miles to Eisenhower Tunnel, and Vail Pass though this is the easiest one since starting elevation in Frisco is over 9000 ft. Coming back, climbing Vail Pass and Eisenhower Tunnel are the two big climbs.

We never dropped below 40mph on any of the climbs. Usually maintain around 50 mph. Coming down, using either 4th or 3rd gear, it's rare I ever touch the brakes except for slower traffic. I'm pretty sure I never touched the brake from Eisenhower Tunnel down to Silverthorne since I did that section at 5:30 am and traffic were light.

I thought the section through Glenwood Canyon was super scenic. The expansion joints didn't bother us.

I would not want to tackle the section from Avon to Idaho Springs if there are any snow on the road.
2017 Starcraft AR-ONE MAXX 20BHLE
2012 Suburban 2500 LT 4WD

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The last few miles up to the Eisenhower tunnel will test your transmission. The downgrade to Silverthorne will test yoyour brakes. Vial Pass is challenging too. Take yoyour time.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
I cannot reiterate enough the concern about snow. It is a real possibility and we seem to be getting decent early. About 6" thus far in my yard yesterday, most of it has melted. Mountains should be cold enough now that whatever we get is here for the season unless we get a real good an long warm spell. Winter is here in the High Country albeit we will still get some nice days.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

caver
Nomad
Nomad
I hope the west bound is smoother. I just drove it eastward about 9 days ago and it was rough. The bridge expansion joints are the worst along with construction before Glenwood Springs. I was quickly reminded why I prefer the two lanes with little traffic.

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
BarryG20 wrote:
I don't believe any of the passes or hills are over 6% anywhere along the route.

The down hill sections on the west side of the tunnel and the west side of Vail Pass are both 7% grades for around seven miles. Use your gearing to keep your speed in check.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interstates have the most stringent grade requirements, the most gradual curves of any highways. Even going over the Rockies it is not that hard. Some grades are long like the one going westbound after Loveland Pass. Watch for snow.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Yup just adding, if it snows, it kind of sucks but not the worst thing ever early in the year. Otherwise it's not a bad drive, just a few steeper passes but nothing too treacherous. We do it every year with our 38' 5th wheel toyhauler. There's CDOT Rest Stops with clean bathrooms that are big rig friendly in Edwards and Rifle and Fruita if you need a place to stop. They all also have free water and dump stations if you need it.

I would also make sure you are good on gas before you get going. There's not a ton of great gas stations along the way until you get past Glenwood Springs. Our go to gas stations is a station just north of the outlet mall in Silverthorne, or the small truck stop in DeBeque, but with our new truck, we can make the whole trip without filling up.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

BarryG20
Explorer
Explorer
As previously mentioned good road. You have a couple good hills as you come out of Denver and start heading up Genessee and then Floyd Hill. From there you get some relief until Georgetown then the slog up to the tunnel starts. Once up and through the tunnel and down you will soon hit Vail Pass and its climb. Once up and over it is mostly downhill all the way to Grand Junction. Glenwood Canyon just before Glenwood Springs is great. From Glenwood to Grand Junction is good road no hills of merit at all. From Grand Junction to the border you will hit a few hills as you get closer to the border but nothing that is long or really significant. I don't believe any of the passes or hills are over 6% anywhere along the route. Also as previously mentioned keep your eye on the weather. That time of year it can snow for sure but normally is a wetter snow. Though the storms are not frequent. Sometimes it can pile up and sometimes it is just a dusting or melts within hours. The problem with the early season wetter snow even if it doesn't get deep is it turns to the thick slushy icy type stuff from the traffic as the road is still a bit warm. Normally a non issue once west of Vail Pass a bit but you never know. We use COTRIP.ORG all the time to check out the cameras in the winter time.
2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
dave_330 wrote:
I have a 42FT. motor home towing a car dolly. Can anyone tell me how the mountain roads are, I am going from Denver to the Utah boarder the first week in Nov.

It's the Interstate Highway with two Good Passes and one of the most Beautiful Section of the Interstate System Just before Glenwood Springs.

Couple of Notes - Weather, just keep an Eye open, it can be Sunny on the Denver side and a Blizzard on the Western Side. Cameras - CDOT Cameras

We always go out on RT 6 just out of Golden to Idaho Springs - Beautiful drive that will take you along Clear Creek to Idaho Springs and I-70.

If Moab is in you plans as you leave RT 128 at exit 214 along the Colorado River is again Beautiful.

Map - Denver to Moab

Best of luck,

See my Signature vehicle - similar to you - so yes, all the Roads are Good.

edit; Traffic on weekends if Skiing is Good - Yes Heavy Traffic especially if it's Snowing. - :E
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on weather. Snow is basically guaranteed at times during November. I would recommend being able to re-adjust your schedule to wait out any snowstorms.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful Drive , people drive it every day

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Took that route last summer. Nice drive.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
dave_330 wrote:
I am going from Denver to the Utah boarder the first week in Nov.
Do keep an eye on the weather as snow can make the drive rather interesting. Or visit cotrip.org. They'll have road conditions as well as cameras along I-70 you can pull up to look at current conditions.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
You'll be fine there are hills coming out of Denver with some steeper grades but no real issues
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD