cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How is crossing at Tecate for Class A rigs?

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I was almost convinced on a FB RVing in Mexico thread to use the Tecate crossing on my way to Ensenada. But then someone said that there's a 90 degree turn and two large posts blocking entrance into Mexico and it's likely that a 36 foot Class A towing a car would be damaged. I don't want that.

So my question is where people cross to get to Ensenada in a big Class A? Mexicali? Or Tijuana?

I've crossed at the west crossing of Mexicali 2-3 times and it's a breeze if you're in the far right lane, but I don't mind experiencing a different crossing if it makes more sense (Tijuana?).

So what do you say? Any suggestions?
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.
4 REPLIES 4

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
  • You will be on interstate 8
  • Exit southbound onto I-805
  • Nice 8-lane freeway for about 12 miles
  • There will be lots of signs "Intl Border X Miles"
  • You will be slowing WAY down to a crawl with heavy traffic as you cross
  • As you approach the border STAY IN THE RIGHT LANE (without inadvertently exiting)
  • One mile into Mexico you will make a sweeping 90 degree turn to the right. Stay in the right lane
  • You will see overhead signs SOMETHING TO DECLARE. Drive right under then and keep going
  • Then comes a sweeping 90 degree left. Don't sweat it passenger buses use this lane
  • After the left you will see a large new building complex on your right
  • Drift off the marked lanes to the right and head for the huge canopy
  • Find a place to park this is done all the time so no elaborate explanation is necessary
  • A uniformed man will approach and ask permission to board for a quick look see (Customs check)
  • Lock the rig and I mean everything then head for the INM office (the customs guy will point toward the building. Just say TOURIST CARD
  • There you will fill out and pay for your tourist cards
  • The proponents of Tecate forgot to tell you this is a hassle with a large rig in Tecate
  • Use lots of care driving out of the cusoms parking lot
  • STAY IN THE RIGHT MOST LANE no matter what
  • Lots and lots of cars
  • You will see an overhead sign SCENIC ROAD ENSENADA MEX 1-D exit to your right
  • This is actually a long on-ramp going downslope to a multi-lane boulevard
  • Drivers love to cut one another off like in the whole country
  • Merge onto the multi-lane boulevard and continue going west
  • You will climb a rather steep hill stay in the right lane
  • After the summit of the hill you will be making another right exit. Big signs
  • Merge onto yet another blvd but this time if it is safe and clear you can edge over to the left a lane or two
  • Another 90 degree sweeping left curve
  • SURPRISE! Ninety percent of the cars took an exit and it's congestion relief at last
  • Ahead of you is the first of three toll booths
  • They accept US Dollars as easily as Pesos
  • The toll highway lasts about 65 miles
  • To repeat there are three toll sections
  • When the toll road ends it will be multi lane divided boulevard with traffic lights
  • About six miles worth
  • Paralleling the shipward you will want to make a right turn at a traffic light that will say SAN QUINTIN LA BUFADORA
  • This is a slow crawl lots of traffic lights waterfront tourist zone
  • Relax dollars are as common as pesos

Hope this helps!

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be coming from the east and will pass right by Mexicali and like I've mentioned, I've used the Mexicali crossings both West and East and it's fine for me and I'm use to it. But I wanted to try something different and Tecate sounded interesting initially plus had several people recommend it. Turned out they aren't Class A owners.

So now, since I've already done Mexicali, and that other one further east, and since Tecate is a no go, could anyone clue me in on what to expect at Tijuana? Again, driving a 36 foot Class A towing a car.

Thanks.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I have heard complaints from people towing.

If you are arriving from the East Tecate makes more sense than if you care coming from the north or west. Hwy 94 is a notable winding two lane grade.

Then the highway after the crossing passes through four miles of suburban and residential neighborhoods. It's well marked. There are four winding grades to mount up and down between TKT and El Sauzal. Buses and empty trucks will pass you whether there is room or not and heavily loaded cargo trucks slow to 20 mph climbing them.

The primary reason for an RV using this route is to access the wineries in the Guadalupe Valley. Otherwise IMHO the route is neither convenient nor fast.

I have traveled this route what (80 times?) and find little to recommend it. It's even a toss up in a powerful car. And like it or not, I found Aduana to be considerably more "thorough" than at garita 2 and garita 3 San Ysidro and Otay Mesa. A garita is a port of entry with customs inspetions.

If you are sick and tired of driving the coast route Mex 1D that is another thing altogether.

Talleyho69
We always used Tijuana going south.

Everyone else??