cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2002 Tracker; Setting up to Tow

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
We are setting up a 2002 Tracker 2dr, 4wd as our toad. This is a first so I am learning.

Purchased:
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain Tow Bars.
Roadmaster Even Brake system.
Roadmaster XL base plates are enroute

Now the difficult part....wiring. Decided to use the LED bulb and Socket kit so there is no problem with interaction between MH and Toad electrical. Currently the Trackers lights - all of them, headlights, dash lights, tail lights and running lights on whenever the key is turned on and emergency brake is off. The light switch has no control. So decided to just buy pass the Tracker electrical system.

Currently working to fix the trackers electrics (any ideas) but don't want to worry about that reoccurring.

So, those who have towed a Tracker...any comments, suggestions, recommendations, advice?
17 REPLIES 17

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for everyone's help and expertise.

We just completed our maiden voyage and everything worked great. I didn't leave the key in the off position even though the steering wheel did not lock. I will do that on our next trip. Just wanted to make sure there were no surprises on our first outing with the Tracker so turned the ignition to accessory. Leaving the ignition off will ensure we don't run the battery down on longer trips.

I was able to find space in the rear light case to place an extra bulb so was able to use the bulb and socket kit. I like that we can bypass the Tracker electrical system and just power the bulbs.

The Tracker is lighter that many of the tow cars but I noticed it took more power to accelerate onto the freeway and up hills and braking took a little more effort. I will hook up the Even-Brake system for our next trip.

Baby steps ;-).

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
Rolin wrote:

Harley, our 2002 Tracker has automatic hubs. Did yours come with automatic and you switched to manual? What benefit do the warn hubs provide?
I put them on because we had to replace a half shaft (axle). I just figured why have them turn all the time for no reason. The manual hubs give a few more MPG so that tells me there is some significant drag with the standard hubs. We just finished towing it 1600 miles behind the RV and all seems fine. We also didn't drive 50-55 mph either. Went our normal 63-65.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

FW
Explorer
Explorer
Rolin and all other Tracker towers with 4x4 automatic and transfer case. After owning a 1995 geo tracker with manual hubs and a 2002 chevy tracker with automatic electric hubs and transfer case both with approximately 50,000 miles on each I found early on that when you drive up to hook up if you don't remove the key the lock assembly stays unlocked. I forgot once and towed about 350 miles that day with out turning key to accessory position and the steering wheel turns. Try it. The power to my Brake Buddy through accessory power still works when key is not turned on. I usually travel 200 to 400 miles and have never stopped to run engine. Both vehicles have over 150,000 driven miles on them with 50,000 towed miles. No abnormal consequences. I use magnetic lights and a wi-fi enabled control device for lights.
Frank
Full time since 1/3/03
2005 BTCruiser 28.5' Always
2002 Chevy Tracker 4x4 Sometimes

eheading
Explorer
Explorer
We towed a 2004 Tracker for 9 years and over 50,000 miles and loved it. If you are going to use separate bulbs for lights, where are you going to mount them?? There is no room in the tail light fixtures to add an additional bulb. I had wanted to go that route also, but had to use the diodes since there was no room for an additional bulb.

Regarding the key and the ignition. If you turn the engine off and move the key to the full off position, our Tracker did not lock the steering wheel unless you removed the key. So we always left the key in the "locked off" position with the key still in the ignition.

Ed Headington

TomandCandy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1997 geo tracker I wired the lights brake lights running lights up under the hood I have had no problems wired in to its wiring its been this way for about 10 years no problems with any electric, battery does not go dead no disconnect it works great good luck

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
After about 1996, Suzuki products started using automatic hubs and a different front differential. My 2003 Tracker needs to be backed up a few feet to release the hubs.
There is no real advantage to Warn hubs.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
John, the TPMS sensors for the toad are a good idea. I plan to do that. I also like the ability to monitor the toad braking from the motorhome dash. The Roadmaster Even brake has a wireless display showing toad brake action.

Blethen, using 4th gear sounds like a good idea. Don't know why the manufacturer has you put it in 2nd??

Harley, our 2002 Tracker has automatic hubs. Did yours come with automatic and you switched to manual? What benefit do the warn hubs provide?

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
I used the Roadmaster diodes and wired straight to the lights; underneath the car was easy aside from getting my large carcass under there far enough.

Note that the Tracker stoplights will illuminate when the brake pedal is pressed no matter the key position; I tied to that wire to illuminate a monitor light in the MH so I could tell if the toad brakes were actually working or had gotten hung up.

One other thing; assuming you have a TPMS add sensors for the toad. How would you know if your toad had a flat or hot tires from dragging brakes etc?
-jbh-

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
From the 2001 Tracker manual:

Follow these steps:
1. Set the parking brake.
2. Shift your automatic transmission into PARK (P), or
your manual transmission to SECOND (2).
3. With the ignition key in the ON position, move the
transfer case to NEUTRAL and make sure the 4WD
light on the instrument panel cluster is off. See
โ€œFour-Wheel Driveโ€ in the Index.
4. Turn the ignition key to ACC to unlock the
steering wheel.
5. Release the parking brake.
NOTICE:
If you tow your four-wheel-drive vehicle from
the front, make sure to move the transfer case
into NEUTRAL or your vehicle could be badly
damaged and the damage would not be covered
by your warranty.
Stop towing every 200 miles (300 km) and start the
engine. Leave the transfer case shift lever in
NEUTRAL. Shift your automatic transmission to
DRIVE (D); leave a manual transmission in
SECOND (2) with the clutch engaged. Run the engine at
medium speed for one minute to circulate oil in the
transfer case. Turn the ignition key to ACC. Now, you
can continue towing your vehicle.
NOTICE:
The front wheels transmit shocks during towing.
The steering column may not be strong enough to
withstand the shocks. Always unlock the steering
wheel before towing.
NOTICE:
Make sure that the towing speed does not
exceed 50 mph (80 km/h), or your vehicle could
be badly damaged.
-jbh-

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I know the manual to put the transmission in 2nd. I would put it in fourth. The reason to put in a gear is to keep the transmission output shaft from turning. The problem is if the transfer case lever gets bumped, using a higher gear will prevent the engine from blowing up. Do not use an overdrive gear such as fifth.
It is very easy to install the diodes behind the taillights. I ran the four conductor under the rig to the right turn taillight, then interconnected the taillights following the Roadmaster instructions.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the inputs. I like your approach Dakzuki, but we have a two door Tracker and the roof is not metal so I don't think I can use the magnetic lights.

Sounds like the towing part will be pretty easy. Just put transfer switch in neutral, the standard transmission in 2nd and take off.

I think the hardest part will be the wiring for the tail lights.

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Tracker too. I use magnetic lights and just plop them on top of the toad. Done.

The key in the first position unlocks the column and enables ACC power...no lights.

I have an RViBrake II system for it and a cheap Roadmaster A frame tow bar. Works just fine.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 1999 Tracker with the automatic headlights. First switch position unlocks steering, nothing more that I can see. We put a set of Warn locking hubs on her to unlock the front axles which saves a little wear and tear and gives us slightly better mileage. Works pretty well. Used the Roadmaster wiring kit and it works well with no problems so far. Sterling towbar is easy to connect and disconnect. We haven't installed brakes yet but have her wired with a charge line to do so this spring.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Your key should be turned to the first position, not full ignition. No lights should come on. You'll have to put it in that position to unlock the steering.
-jbh-