cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

For those heading south to Arizona through Page

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
US 89 closure: Because of storm damage, the highway is closed between Cameron and US 160. The alternate route will add about 190 miles via I-40, SR 87, SR 264 and US 160. Expect an extended closure to repair the road. #aztraffic
2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website
5 REPLIES 5

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
We came down 89 a week ago, 12 or 13 hours before the wash out.

I would add that the Upper Antelope Canyon tour at Page was fantastic.

Chris

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
Open again.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Ah but those alternate roads are often under native control so although the government transportation agencies could care less if you have to drive your motorhome or trailer 187 miles out of your way due to a 50 foot road collapse, the locals are not about to have their people caught up in some out of the way detour. This is why they keep their roads unnamed and numbered as well as with sharp dips and rises so transient travelers stick to the multi-lane paved roads. But those with smaller RV's can use the alternate route and instead of going 187 miles out of their way, it's cut to only 50. And if you don't care to stop and take in the scenery or stop for the many photo opportunities, you can cut your travel time in half compared to the detour. It depends on size.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Oh my, as a fan of forest roads, Iโ€™d be very cautious of using them after a heavy rainfall for through travel. New member is a bit...adventurous in regard to others.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
If you have an RV under 28 feet (or have augmented your vehicle with high clearance systems), you can cut half those miles off by using the Forest Roads before and after the collapse. In the end, you'll it may take a bit more than the detour in time but the openness and views can't be beat. You just need to be aware some of the washes may be a bit rough (but passable) due to the recent rains.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.