cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning genset

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
During a recent trip we went through some pretty dusty construction zones. While changing the oil I noticed that there was a lot of dust/dirt on the left side where the "electronics" are can I spray that with water to get rid of some of the dirt? Are there drain holes in the pan under the genset to get rid of the water?
10 REPLIES 10

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
TO answer your question.. YES there are drain holes.

Though your generator may be different the only "Exposed" not waterproffed connerction on my Onan would be the 12 volt positive and water wont bother it.

But the compartment does have a hole. in fact about 4" in diamater. as well as some smaller ones.. It is how you cange oil filters on mine. Yours may be different.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

goff1256
Explorer
Explorer
I use the gunk Forum cleaner and then spray it with car wash a couple of times a year no problem so far
Erick & Jackie Goff; Plus Ellie Mae the Fu Fu Dog

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I douse mine with Simple Green, let it sit for a few minutes then hose it off. Wipe it down with a rag then turn it on and let it run for 10-20 minutes. I sometimes turn on the A/C so the genset gets some exercise. After that, I put some wax on it and it looks like new again. Never have had any issues with it. After all, it sits in a wet environment when you drive in the rain. Why would water from a hose bother it...YMMV...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
A broom/dry toothbrush/chip brush and maybe a damp rag would be about all I'd do. A little bit of dirt on the outside of wires or electronic modules won't cause problems, particularly in those designed to be used in a decidedly not dustless environment.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cleaned my genset panel once on a former MH. A week later the board fried. Due to cleaning the seal was compromised and moisture got inside.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I spent my career repairing electronics (component level). I strongly suggest you do NOT use any type of circuit board cleaner or solvent. It will very likely attack the conformal coating and you don't want that. Don't spray it with high pressure air either.
Frankly, I would leave it dirty. It wont hurt it and getting it wet (esp. certain components) can easily lead to latent failures.

NutHouse2016
Explorer
Explorer
I use dawn dish soap and water to clean off gen set. Spray WD40(Water Displacement formula 40) on connectionsbefore and after cleaning.

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
Try electronics cleaner spray from an auto shop.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
The boards in an Onan are covered with conformal coating. So basically waterproof. What isn't waterproof are the terminals in the connectors. And a water short between connections wouldn't be good. So disconnect the battery first, spray the area with a bit of water and Dawn, rinse completely, let dry completely, pull the connectors and shake any water out, blow them dry with compressed air, maybe sit overnight or several hours in the heat of the day without connecting the battery. Then you should be good to go.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
I did not even know there was an electronics board under the mud that was on top of it, had no idea at all. It still worked just fine. Mine was five years old and not a problem.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel