cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

HOnda 2000 extended gas tank

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
I am experimenting with using auxillary tank to my Honda 2000. I have clear line to see fuel moving and seem to be holding a vacuum.

The info I cannot find is when should the genset start siphoning fuel from the tank and should the vacuum from the fuel pump be measurable?

11 REPLIES 11

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
More full the tank is the quicker it starts to draw? That is interesting, I will try and take notice. I have found that as long as there is enough gas to start the Honda it will continue to draw gas.

Have you noticed how far below the genset the aux tank can be?

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought aluminum caps for my twins several years ago, and have had no problems at all. If you are seeing bubbles, you might have a vacuum leak. It doesn't take much to lose the vacuum, then it will not draw fuel. Also, the more full the Honda tank is, the sooner it will start drawing gas from the auxiliary tank. There is less room to build vacuum with a full tank.

I bought the caps, then a plastic boat gas tank with fittings like yours, put a tee on the tank so I can run one or both twins on the tank and it works flawlessly.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
jjrbus wrote:
Again thanks for the responses always appreciated.

I purchased the aluminum gas cap sold online. After only a couple uses the gasket/washer ripped. I contacted the seller and he replied with a list of other things he has for sale! It is a 1 3/4 inch washer which is not readily available anywhere. Lesson learned, will recommend modifying the Honda cap for others.

So far I am not having any vacuum issues, I cannot measure the vacuum and barely see fuel in the line but it keeps working so will stick with this for now and keep other options in mind.

I also want to experiment with how high the Honda can raise fuel.

I have my Honda in a box so the goofy new fill spouts do not work, I use a automotive transmission funnel to fill it. Plus the new improved spout broke after only a few uses.

For those interested, there is a y-tube video that shows how to use the OEM Honda gas cap and the price is ok.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Don't use those stupid gas cans that require pushing the nozzle against the Honda fuel tank. They can indent the soft plastic and cause a vacuum leak.

Good tip !

Those RIDICULOUS "safety" gas can are a joke. I spill more with them than before. There is a simple, low cost solution that works well even with large gas cans.

BUY A JIGGLE SIPHON ! Place your gas can on a table or anything that is higher the the tank of what you want to refuel. Remove both caps and "jiggle" the siphon end of the hose in the large can. Presto !

I bought an extra piece of vinyl hose and a plastic barb "splice" so I can have double the distance.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Again thanks for the responses always appreciated.

I purchased the aluminum gas cap sold online. After only a couple uses the gasket/washer ripped. I contacted the seller and he replied with a list of other things he has for sale! It is a 1 3/4 inch washer which is not readily available anywhere. Lesson learned, will recommend modifying the Honda cap for others.

So far I am not having any vacuum issues, I cannot measure the vacuum and barely see fuel in the line but it keeps working so will stick with this for now and keep other options in mind.

I also want to experiment with how high the Honda can raise fuel.

I have my Honda in a box so the goofy new fill spouts do not work, I use a automotive transmission funnel to fill it. Plus the new improved spout broke after only a few uses.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Don't use those stupid gas cans that require pushing the nozzle against the Honda fuel tank. They can indent the soft plastic and cause a vacuum leak.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
jjrbus wrote:
Thanks for the responses. I give up trying to make sense of it.

I started with a 1/4 ID hose and the genset would occasionally run out of gas, even though there was gas in aux tank. I took a guess and tried the 3/16 ID line and it is working fine.

As long as there is enough fuel in Honda to start it will draw gas from aux tank.

At idle I see almost no gas in line, there are some bubbles coming out of hose in tank. On high the fuel line may or may not fill up with gas, no rhyme or reason to it.

All I can figure is it works, so I will leave it alone until it quits working!

my first system was very similar to what yours looked like. Two issues. Both resulted in very very very minor vacuum leaks, but that is ALL it takes to not pull fuel given the very slow draw rate. First, the cap you show I had a hard time sealing against the honda tank. again, all it takes is a minor leak since the draw is slow and vacuum is low.

next was the connector you used. again, if not fully seated, it had a vacuum leak.

Finally went with the BERG setup and problems solved.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses. I give up trying to make sense of it.

I started with a 1/4 ID hose and the genset would occasionally run out of gas, even though there was gas in aux tank. I took a guess and tried the 3/16 ID line and it is working fine.

As long as there is enough fuel in Honda to start it will draw gas from aux tank.

At idle I see almost no gas in line, there are some bubbles coming out of hose in tank. On high the fuel line may or may not fill up with gas, no rhyme or reason to it.

All I can figure is it works, so I will leave it alone until it quits working!

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
fuel flow rate depends a great deal on generator load. and even at full load it is slow. IIRC at 1/4 load 1 gallon last 8 hours. Thats about 13 ounce/hr. and any length of hose could hold several to 4 or 5 ounces. so fuel flow will be slow. even at full load it is 4hrs/gallon. I had clear line on one setup and even at moderate load it took 1/2 hour or longer for the generator to use enough fuel to fill a 3 ft fuel line.

as for vacuum being measurable. if the vacuum gets very high at all the generator will stall. see what happens when you forget to turn the cap to "on"
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I do not know what you are using for "fuel line", but make sure it really IS rated for fuel ! Vinyl tubing (like you get at a hardware store) is not. Tygon tubing (usually translucent yellow or green) IS ! You can buy it online or at most lawn mower repair stores.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I used my EU2000i while dry camping the first time, I did not see any fuel movement for a while. Went in to the trailer for about 30 minutes and came out to check and the clear fuel line was full. I think it must take a while for the built in tank to empty a bit before there is enough suction to draw from the auxiliary tank.

I don't know anything about the fuel pump so can't help you there, however my feeling is that the fuel is not "pumped" from the auxiliary tank but instead is "drawn" or "sucked" out of it because of a vacuum formed in the regular tank. Make very sure there is no air leak in the cover of the generator tank.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine