cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oil and fuel additives

bretttennar
Explorer
Explorer
What are the reasons you would use or not use fuel and oil additives. I just purchased a motorhome and want to take care of it. Thanks
21 REPLIES 21

doughboy
Explorer
Explorer
I was a non additive believer, too until i watched this man's videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWUMIgXS-nE

I gained about 2-3 miles per gallon with the diesel fuel additive. that's over 80-100 miles extra on a tank of fuel. i have a 40 gallon tank in my excursion.
I use the oil additive every other oil change.
If you get on their email list, they give you discounts and free shipping.
Larry, Lisa, and a dog named "Pepperjack"
2000 Excursion,Toreador red,diesel
2013 cruiser, viewfinder,
Waitin for my ship to come in

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I use Optilube XPD when I fill up with diesel. You can read the benefits on their site.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
We are continuing to get "on target" suggestions for his DIESEL Coach and some posts as if he has a gasoline rig. Additives are VERY different.

:B
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
We are continuing to get "on target" suggestions for his DIESEL Coach and some posts as if he has a gasoline rig. Additives are VERY different.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Generally speaking additives cost more than they benefit. THere are exceptions howeer.

For vehicles that are in storage. Fuel Stabilizers and for Diesels algaecide are things to consider. I have seen diesels full of algae and it was not a good thing... Thankfully I know about Algae for he mechanic was stumped) NOTE I am not a diesel expert by any means.

I have never seen gasoline break down but when I have to park for extended periods I still seafoam it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
For storage I add seafoam and fill up with premium fuel for the last two tanks of the season.

When I had a diesel I did find a fuel additive that "smoothed" out the running of the diesel. It may have been snake oil--but my 1987 6.9 liter international engine liked it.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
I am not saying it won't happen but due to the lack of light present in an enclosed fuel tank, it is unlikely for algae to bloom. The word "Algae" has become a catch all word for contaminants we all see in our diesel. The most common of all is bacteria and other contaminants.
https://www.bellperformance.com/bell-performs-blog/recognizing-diesel-fuel-algae
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

srobm
Explorer
Explorer
Before parking it for the winter I put in fuel Stabilizer and Seafoam. I drive the unit to ensure that it gets well mixed and then run the generator. This has worked great over the years. Never had an issue with generators in 10 years doing this.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I give the fuel tank a glug of Howes Diesel Treat on every fill up. If you always fill up diesel at a busy truck stop you probably don't need to do this. If you get diesel at stations where the primary business is gasoline, the fuel is older and can be waxy. This will plug you filters and lead to bad performance.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
bretttennar wrote:
I have heard alot of people call additives is snake oil is that the feeling of most? I also noticed there are huge amounts available it seems that there must be some benefits of using them? Any thoughts

Fluids are engineered by people who do that for a living. All fluids already have a very deliberate mixture of additives in them. The additives are there because the people who developed the fluid(s) decided (through years of testing and research) that they were necessary and improve the fluids performance. More is NOT better otherwise it would already be there. Generally, when additives are depleted below certain levels and/or the fluid becomes contaminated, it's time to change the fluid. If you read your owners manual, under some conditions, it will recommend using certain additives. In some cases it will say, "DO NOT USE ADDITIVES" or "ONLY USE _____________ FLUID." IMO, That's what you should do.

Until you get your engineering/chemistry/physics etc. degree(s) and get 20 or so years field experience under your belt, that's all you need to know. Make you life simple. Don't redo work that's already been done for you!

Chum lee

bretttennar
Explorer
Explorer
I have heard alot of people call additives is snake oil is that the feeling of most? I also noticed there are huge amounts available it seems that there must be some benefits of using them? Any thoughts

Old-Biscuit
Explorer
Explorer
bretttennar wrote:
2016 38ft 36k miles diesel. Thanks this is my first forum

Look up the Chassis Service Manual for your RV ...whichever it is and read what the MFG recommends
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Welcome to the forum!!! Here, you'll find answers to any and all questions pertaining to your coach, your equiptment and much much more. Don't feel like any question is stupid because it's not. That's how we learn. Remember too, some people have off days so ignore any snarky remarks and move on to the next post. That said, you'll always get better answers if you can provide your coach info or if it's something attached to the coach, a model number or other identification to help us identify it. i.e. you've said you have a diesel. While this question pertains to diesels in general, you might want to identify it further. Is it a CAT, (orange) Cummins (Red) Detroit (Blue) etc. Finally, use of the search box at the top of the page will provide you with lots of good information on your coach, your engine, tranny and those irritating things inside your coach.

Now to your question: Most diesel manufacturers do not recommend adding any oil additives. Use a good quality oil such as Rotella and change it per the mfg recommendations. I change mine once a year in February but we are full timers and use the coach often. I'm pushing 100,000 miles. If the coach is going to be sitting for any length of time, I make sure the fuel tank is full to minimize any condensation forming in the tank. Water is the bane of diesel fuel. Know, or learn how to drain the water from the fuel. You should have a water separator on the fuel filter and learn how to use it. Read your manual or ask here. Try to fill your coach at major filling stations. I like FlyingJ even though they are more expensive. They have filters on their pumps, 2" fuel hoses and have a huge turnover of fuel in their tanks. This means less chance of you getting water in your tank from theirs. It also means faster fill ups. The only thing I've ever added to the fuel is Diesel 911 which restores the flow of diesel fuel and removes traces of water to help prevent gelling. I add a bottle every other fill up. The paraffin in diesel fuel begins to gel at 10-15 degrees farenheit but it will begin to crystallize at 32 degrees so 911 helps.

Again, welcome to the forum.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
How to make your signature so we can serve you better:

1. Log on and click "My Preferences".
2. On the "My Preferences" page click the middle box and enter your rig info.
3. Scroll to the bottom and click "Submit Changes"
4. Exit and you're done.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes