cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

through Chicago or circumvent?

bass_n_bob
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning a trip west from NY to the national parks out west. I will be traveling in September. I have a motor-home towing. Last time I made this journey I went around Chicago. This time I have planned to go through that area on a Sunday. Is Sunday OK to stay on 90 or would those that travel that area still recommend going around?
THX
15 REPLIES 15

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
I like you thought I would try it. Weekend, middle of the night - Never again. I'll go 100 miles out of my way.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Read this post for more specific suggestions:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28570767
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
Did it once, on a holiday when traffic was supposed to be at a minimum. Wouldn't ever do it again. Terrible road conditions, nuts for drivers, and tolls were ridiculous. We go up the Michigan Upper Peninsula and across. We go to Alaska (7 trips and again next year) and through/around Chicago is shorter, but definitely not faster or better.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Since they shut down the proposed Illiana Expressway, there is no Interstate south of 80 until you get to 74. That's a LONG way out of your way just to avoid Chicago. Surface roads are not really a viable alternative due to the population density (read as stop lights and traffic) along the northern Illinois/Indianan border. There are some decent back roads, but you probably need to live around here to figure them out. They won't save you any time, but will avoid a lot of aggravation.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
suprz wrote:
doxiemom11 wrote:
We would do 80/39 also. We would drive out of our way to avoid Chicago. Have sat in traffic backed up for miles and miles - no accidents - not rush hours, just how it was. Never ever again.

X4 or 5!

I-80 is not far enough out of the way for me. Chicago traffic is crazy.

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
We would do 80/39 also. We would drive out of our way to avoid Chicago. Have sat in traffic backed up for miles and miles - no accidents - not rush hours, just how it was. Never ever again.

X4 or 5!
Proud father of a US Marine

Bipeflier
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Going through did not work well for Clark Griswold.

That was East St. Louis, IL
2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2016 3500 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II

in5r
Explorer
Explorer
X2 with 80 West and catch 39 North. Have done this route many times with much less headache.
2019 Ford F250 6.7 CC SB
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5RSTS

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
No day of the week is good for taking a MH and towed through the city on 90 unless you go through around 3:00 AM. You would be better off taking 294 around the city. You can take 80 to 355/ IL53 and go around the city a ways further out into the suburbs. Check the Illinois Tollroad website to see if there is construction on 294 or 355. If you really want to minimize your "city traffic" then take 80 to 39 as suggested earlier. Not sure what is scheduled for next September.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I would definitely go around Chicago unless there was something in particular that I wanted to see or do in the city.

From New York state, I would give consideration to skipping Illinois entirely and going across Canada to either the lower or upper peninsula of Michigan, and thence to Wisconsin. If money is not particularly tight the SS Badger ferry might be a fun option to get from Ludington, MI to Manitowoc, WI.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Going through did not work well for Clark Griswold.

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Go around for sure no matter the day of the week take 80 west to I39 north
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
General big city - Sundays are usually good for driving through a big city UNLESS there is a big event (football, etc).

Weekdays are also acceptable IF you get there BEFORE rush hour (about 6AM) or after rush hour (about 7PM). I have done Cincinnati several times in the middle of the day. Not too bad !