cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Sigh) Yet Another Storm Northern Mexico

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
2018 is going down as famously flaky for "predicted" storm paths and intensity from the National Hurricane Center.

Nevertheless it takes only one real wolf...

Sergio is forecast to cross the Baja peninsula sometime late next week then continue on across the gulf and torment Sonora then Arizona.

It remains a powerful storm as of today but it has to cross nearly a thousand miles of unfriendly cool water before making landfall on the Vizcaino peninsula. Guerrero Negro, Vizcaino, and Mulege are all within the crosshairs.

Long ways off, but Guaymas to Sta Ana is also shown in the storm track.

No advisories have yet to be posted for the Pacific side of the peninsula -- 5 days is a long time allowance for change.

25 REPLIES 25

Talleyho69
Let's be honest.

We have storms on the ocean. We personally sat through a MASSIVE one at the former Mara Rosa RV park that was beachfront in Mazatlan. We all saw it coming, we were forced/suggested by authorities to either leave the area or in our case, shelter behind the buildings on site.

We opted to shelter onsite. It was interesting! Not only did we see the whitewash sandblasted off of tree trunks where we had been parked, we watched a city that was regularly accustomed to this kind of storm deal with it.

It was great. We were even refunded our fees for beachfront parking as compared to our sheltered parking pricing.

If you don't live in a place that gets tropical weather, it's important to watch the weather services information and listen to those who know.

Otherwise, enjoy our country and our weather!!!!

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
17 October

Stay Away! Stay Away!

As the Coriolis Curve enhances the chances of these storms curving clockwise sooner. This one may get ashore at Acapulco or Zihuatanejo. Keep an eye on it. The last storm that shouldn't have gone ashore at Banderas Bay plugged it's ears and did just that.

Talleyho69
All the indicators are that Tara will continue to be a non-event. She is predicted to not go past tropical storm status, and just kind of sit there moving VERY slowly and fizzle out.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_ep2.shtml?cone#contents

Here in Zihuatanejo, we have received about an inch of rain every night for the last three, no wind above 3 mph, and today the surf is the flattest it's been in weeks.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
There is another tropical depresion North of Acapulco, Talleyho69 you should be having rain in Zihuat by now, storm is predicted to go towards Los Cabos by Wednesday.

navegator

Talleyho69
Please do provide us all with an update.

We hope people will be headed south soon!

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what I have learned. The road from Nogales to HMO is fine. Just lots of construction. The roads in HMO are bad as usual. But lots of new huge potholes. Some heaves that would play havoc with an RV and some flooding. WE willtry to get home on Tuesday.

Moisheh

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Moisheh my comments failed to include several the other weather systems at work. Sergio went through Texas. We got rain yesterday and will continue to get rain (as will San Diego)

Last night was 9 degrees cooler here than the night before. All this from Sergio? No. Tucson is scheduled to see some areas in the high forties for a low temp on Wednesday. Sergio? The summer Monsoons? No.

A sneaker weather system hit. Forecasters did not see it here in extreme northern Mexico and neither did the NWS. The temp here has dropped twenty degrees for an afternoon high.

So, condemning my wish for the Copper Canyon should not be included with the effects of a confluence of multiple weather systems. Sergio is long dead and we are getting cold rain. The rain is moving east across California while northern California basks in temps in the mid-eighties. Twenty degrees warmer than here.

The problem is with a politically oriented National Weather Service. They utterly failed to see our weather coming, two weeks ago, a week ago and today was clearly explained to be 100% sunny and it is 100% overcast, cool and rainy.

I was hoping for the best.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
We are in Tucson and received a lot of hard rain Saturday night. More is coming all week. We had hoped to head to Kino but wonder about road conditions on the toll road. Miguel Aleman is a big lake. El Imparcial says that San Carlos, Guaymas and Penasco were the hardest hit. The "Civil Protection" in Penasco is asking for the area to be declared a disaster zone. Sonora needed rain but not like this. So many of he homes are built in low lying areas and are Casas de Carton. Heavy rain "dissolves" those homes. Kino has some areas that are below sea level. I feel for the residents. Hard enough to exist in poverty without a natural disaster.
Moisheh

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
And that is the blessed part. It supposedly drenched the Copper Canyon. An extreme drought area. I have perhaps too soft a heart. To see rail thin cattle (ribs) laying down beside highway standing pools of water blissfully chewing their cud from untold acres of new green grass makes me smile. They fatten within a month or two. Mountain lions take a terrible toll on brerrendos, wild desert antelope. The lions haunt the tinacas, the troughs of water for cattle. Standing pools will give the prey a respite.

Flowers please the eye and feed the bees. Wild desert honey is dark and superb. It is collected then sold to appreciative customers.

mexicoruss
Explorer
Explorer
We got a big surprise from Sergio, it was way south of us when it made it to Sonora but it dumped 6" of rain on Cholla Bay just outside of Penasco. It washed out roads and flooded low lying houses. We are in the process of digging out now and in just one day most of the road repairs are done too. Now we probably won't see rain again for another year. In the last 2 storms Rosa and Sergio Penasco has received more than 4 years worth of annual rainfall. I am sure our aquifers are totally full.
Russ Black
011-521-638-113-4591 Cell Phone
Puerto Penasco, Sonora

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Sixteen one hundredths of an inch of total precipitation and a recorded maximum wind gust of twenty one miles per hour. Bahia Asuncion. The pesceros (fishermen) and marineros (crewmen) estimated the maximum wave height as less than 2 meters. This is open ocean. Deluges were spotty. Vizcaino, and Sn Ignacio saw a lot more rain. Mulege, the Rio de Sta Rosalia rose about two feet. The storm came ashore 28 hours earlier than predicted.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
RESULT

Flooded roadways Mex 1 should fully re-open in a day or two*.
There are reports of flooded roadways on the mainland. Same answer.
Take care. Wet subsoil and overloaded trucks = potholes and broken pavement
Boulders fall days later in steep highway cuts.

The images I posted UPDATE AUTOMATICALLY so what you see are current conditions.

*My friends the Contreras' are departing mid peninsula to come north in a one ton van this Sunday.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
At EIGHT O'Clock PM on Thursday, Sergio came ashore. There is no "Friday" except for remnants racing across the gulf as almost dissipated.