Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

horse or cart first?

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, more newbie 5th wheel questions:

We've pretty much decided on a 6.2 f250 4x4 gas 3.73 CC 6 3/4 ' bed if we go ahead with our switch to a fifth wheel.

Also looking at 5th wheels that have a gross weight of 10500-11000 max, 32-34' max. length.

Payload on the truck will run 3100-3200 area so should not be an issue we think with that size 5th wheel.

I am reading about bed height issues with f 250 and f350 trucks and lighter 5th wheels, things like flipping axles etc to level up. Don't really want to go there.

If we buy the truck first will the height issue be something we need to worry a lot about when deciding on a 5th wheel?

Can you determine if this is an issue from the 5th wheel specs without physically seeing the 5th wheel ( some we like on paper are not close by )?

Are there hitches out there where you can adjust for the height issue?

Would a 2wd be easier to deal with?

We have always had a 4x4 although rarely use it. We get snow trace about every 5 years and don't offroad, although with a new 5th wheel we would plan on a cross country trip which may involve some boondocking. Ford truck forums indicate a little better mileage with 2wd but we like the looks of the 4wd better and the insurance of 4wd if needed.

Not too concerned about not having enough truck after we find a fifth wheel. We don't want a big 5th to haul around and have found many in our size / weight range that we can deal with.

Hope this is not as confusing as we are confused.

thanks
43 REPLIES 43

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
My old 5.4 pulling close to 8,000 has never been stressful descending a grade. Been over I-70 and through Death Valley without issue. A few others even steeper. After a decade of that I put disk brakes on the trailer and stopping is much improved and a lot less $$ than going to a diesel.

splinterpicker
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1500 HD with 4:10 rear 6.0 gas. I had a 8500 lb trailer loaded. Everything pulled fine with a equalizer hitch. Truck sat level and was great on flat roads. Going up inclines was slower,but not bad. However going down was sometimes white knuckle. To me having enough to pull is one thing, Now I want stopping power with pulling. There is no comparison to diesel for that, no matter what your pilling.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I got by with a 2 wheel drive truck for years and although I was never in an accident I would certainly not say I was safe or wise. When front wheel drive and four wheel drive are available there is no excuse for purchasing a 2 wheel drive truck to use on icey roads.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:

You very obviously have very limited experience with driving in snow and ice. It could very well be that people who don't see snow don't need 4 wheel drive. A two wheel drive truck in snow is useless.

I don't know. DH has driven his two-wheel drive pick-ups in snow and no problem IF you know HOW to drive in snow. We've managed to get out of muddy muck "who knows how deep" with that two-wheel drive Ford F-150 right past 4x4s that were stuck...maybe they were in the worst muck or maybe they just weren't as experienced with driving in fudge icing.

FWIW, I'm dreaming of a fifth wheeler one day and I know what I want us to buy: a dually with diesel truck. Can't have too much truck for safe hauling.

ETA: The truck is standard. But I grew up in Washington State...the EASTERN side. We got some serious snow and if you wanted or needed to go over to Seattle, you better have chains on board. All Mom and Dad owned were two wheel drive cars, but man were they heavy (50's and 60's)
Only one time did we let a friend with a 4x4 Bronco take over the work of our own truck and that involved a mud slicked hill EVERYONE was struggling with.
JMHO

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I too suggest the 4.30 gearing. Traveled with a friend with a TT, under 8,000. He had a 6.2 F250 with the 3.73 gears. After a couple hours we agreed I'd follow him. He just wasn't able to keep up to me. Despite the heavier and high profile 5th our 6.7 diesel just plain outran him on every incline. Plus, he was really tired of the shifting after over 5k miles.

FWIW he has since traded and drives a '17 6.7 and after almost a year still has a huge smile.

Would I buy a 6.2 gasser โ€“ quite possibly, with the right gearing.
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
I stand by my first post on page #2. Settle on your 5er first, you are looking at 32โ€™ to 34โ€™. In the 10,500# to 11,500# GVWR, our 32โ€™ has a GVWR of 12,360#, I feel it is well built but still some light weight materials.
Find the 5er you really want, then let it decide what And how much TV you need. My DD now is the proud owner of a 2004 Ram 3500 CTD DRW for towing her 30โ€™ four horse with living quarters GN trailer GVWR of just over 12,000#, but will be pin heavy. Yes a new Ram 3500 SRW can have 200# more GVWR, but she was not going to put out that much, this one only has 130K miles.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
I meant to say Idaho, but stuck Utah in there by mistake. I figure Idaho gets more deep snow than Utah.

Well I will say snow is not the only reason for a 4X4, there is mud, loose gravel, and sand to mention a few issues.
Have you ever been nose down hill on a gravel road and needed to back up around a slight turn?
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

miltvill
Explorer
Explorer
The gas truck can bee a good choice. The diesel engine is a lot heavier then the gas engine. The gas engine does not need DEF or have a DPF to cause problems. Any shop can work on the gas engine. If I was the OP I would get the truck first then match the 5th wheel. I like my 2wd diesel for my needs but will get a 4wd next time just because I have never had one before.
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
What in the world would all these people do if they had to go back to manual 2wd vehicles of the 50s or even 60s? What would you do without power or electronic this that or the other to compensate for the inability to drive?

I started driving in 69 & did not get my first automatic till 06. Learned to drive a 1946 stick, cable clutch, cable brakes, no power steering, no syncromesh to get into 1st gear. It was a vehicle that had to be driven with 100% of the drivers attention. No time to fool with the radio, didn't have one, eat, drink or mess with the cellphone with a vehicle like that. Both hands & feet were busy.

I love my 2wd dually automatic with stuff in it I still have not figured out in 12 years but I do miss that clutch sometimes, especially in a slippery situation when I want to 'feel' what is happening between the wheels & the ground.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Super_Dave wrote:

I live in Utah and have never used 4 wheel drive in the snow. The roads are kept very clear here when it snows. The only time I use 4 wheel is at one lake we go to with a slick boat ramp when wet.

I meant to say Idaho, but stuck Utah in there by mistake. I figure Idaho gets more deep snow than Utah.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:

If I lived somewhere that received a lot of snow, Utah, the mountains of Colorado, the northeast, etc. I would most likely spend the money for a 4WD vehicle, but someplace that only occasionally gets 6-8" of snow it's just a waste of money.

I live in Utah and have never used 4 wheel drive in the snow. The roads are kept very clear here when it snows. The only time I use 4 wheel is at one lake we go to with a slick boat ramp when wet.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
My W & P TT toyhauler was scaled at just over 6600 then with the golf cart and our stuff ended up 7,820. Our 2016 F250 10,000 GVW package with 3:73 and 6.2 had all it wanted. Had to lock out 6th gear on the flats and with a small head wind, had to lock out 5th. I would not buy another 6.2 without the lower gear ratio of 4:30.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
"A two wheel drive truck in snow is useless."

Oh bosh. Of course they aren't useless, they don't get around as good as a 4WD obviously, but will do just fine in moderate snow. Some weight in the back and knowing how to drive in snow helps a lot, and a locking differential helps too.

A 2 wheel drive truck around here in the winter is actually worse than useless ... if you manage to get it out of your driveway it is hazard to other drivers.

As far as a locking differential goes I think it is almost useless as well. My truck has an electronic locking differential and I often try locking the diff when the truck can't move on account of two snowflakes on the ground. I've yet to find a time that locking the diff made enough difference that I didn't need to engage the front wheels.

Once the roads are plowed and salted, a two wheel drive truck can get around.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
"A two wheel drive truck in snow is useless."

Oh bosh. Of course they aren't useless, they don't get around as good as a 4WD obviously, but will do just fine in moderate snow. Some weight in the back and knowing how to drive in snow helps a lot, and a locking differential helps too.

There are two parts to driving in snow, go and control!
Yes, you can do a decent job of going with a 4X2, but for great control you really need 4X4. When the front wheels are driving and not plowing control is much better. That and most likely with a 4X2 you will likely loose traction in the most inconvenient place, like half way up a grade. With 4X2 you need to stop and chain up, with 4X4 just engage 4X4! I consider it cheap insurance.
I grew up in Iowa, and now live in Missouri. I've rarely found a need for 4WD, in all the many years of snow. We used to go out in our rear wheel drive cars and do some really stupid stuff and very rarely got stuck enough to need someone with a tractor to pull us out. 4WD vehicles were very much a rarity in the 50's and 60's but we actually got around pretty well in the winter.

If I lived somewhere that received a lot of snow, Utah, the mountains of Colorado, the northeast, etc. I would most likely spend the money for a 4WD vehicle, but someplace that only occasionally gets 6-8" of snow it's just a waste of money.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"