cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bike rack on front receiver

toddb
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have recommendations on these? Lots of them seem pretty high, I'd rather not block my vision.

Thx
Todd
13 REPLIES 13

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
I loved mine front bike rack...

Until the time we drove highway speeds for 3 hours in a heavy rain.

Water forced it's way into all four wheel bearing and both bottom brackets and steering tubes. It took me the better part of a day to dis-assemble and re-grease bearings.

My new motto is: Just say NO to front bike racks.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

toddb
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input, I think the swagman version may suit our needs the best.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Were is what we use:

Amazon Link

I can see the bikes above the hood but doesn't detract from ability to see the road. I'm sure they block the headlights to some degree but I haven't noticed a lack of vision. We also don't travel at night much.

2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Kuat Transfer rack that I use on the front. Mine works out pretty well in that it doesn't block the lights. I also used to use a v-wing rack. It was nice because the height of the bikes was adjustable, but the rack itself didn't fold up so that was a pain to have to take it off every time.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

Bubtoofat
Explorer
Explorer
We tried a front bike carrier for a bit but I got tired of driving by feel at night. Pretty much made my headlights unusable.

Mike
2005 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4X4 6.0
2011 Northstar Adventurer
Hellwig Bigwig, Ride-Rites, Fastguns, KYB Monomax.

"No matter where I am, I can't help feeling I'm just a day away from where I want to be."
Jackson Browne

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
I used to use an old two bar style rack that the bikes hang from.

I now use a Kuat wheel tray style. Both work fine for me. If you're concerned about blocking viability or headlights, it may not be the way to go because any front rack will do some of both.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
LewMichele&Paws wrote:
Too high is right, also, be aware that one or both headlights may be blocked to some degree.

I found that blocking the lights was not the issue. The issue was the reflection of those lights off the rims back into the driver's eyes negatively affecting night vision. A two block test drive was enough for me to opt for a trailer instead.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
We also use a Swagman rack. It has worked very well over the past 5 years and many thousands of miles. With it the bikes don't swing around. I take one seat off. Visibility is not a problem.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We use a Swagman XC bike rack works great. The wheels ride in brackets with a lock bar holding the frames. Bikes don't move an inch.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We have hauled our two bikes that way for years. It can block some vision near the front of the vehicle but not enough to be dangerous. We tie the bikes down with bunge cords to minimize the bouncing but they still do bounce on these bad roads.
Take the seats off for travel.
The receiver was specially made by a qualified welding shop. they could lower it if necessary but watch out for ground clearance when pulling into a parking stall with a curb in front.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Front mount with a Thule bike rack worked well for us last year from Vermont to Alaska to Florida and back. Headlights shine through the bike spokes fine. No scratches on the truck or bikes and no issue with visibility either. We did pick up a lot of salt on the bikes on the way to Florida in January. YMMV.
Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired

LewMichele_Paws
Explorer
Explorer
Too high is right, also, be aware that one or both headlights may be blocked to some degree. I went with this foldable ebike for the front receiver.

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/radmini-electric-folding-fat-bike?variant=5032656863263
'06 Ford F350 V10 CC 4X4 SB auto 4.10
'06 Arctic Fox 811

Don't lose your head...to save a minute...you need your head...your brains are in it...Burma Shave

States visited in our RV...

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
That depends on your bike size.
Hanging racks also beat up the bikes, while scratching the truck is possible too.
I liked platform mounts and they make them pretty good lately for $$$.
But for my RV - years ago I bought foldable bike with 3 speed planetary gears.
I can put it in the 2nd row floor in the truck.