cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a Motorhome first time

Kimi_smama
Explorer
Explorer
We are just starting to search for Class C Motorhome (size preference). We want to start road traveling while we are still young enough. We are looking into wreck/damage as long as the engine is ok. My husband does not know anything on mechanical part. We can't afford to buy a brand new motorhome. This is the only way we are thinking of being able to afford one. Any suggestions on where to look? Thank you for any help. 🙂
8 REPLIES 8

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
This is a great time of the year to buy. You will get good prices via people not wanting to pay to store an RV for the winter.
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Kimi'smama wrote:
My husband does not know anything on mechanical part. We can't afford to buy a brand new motorhome. This is the only way we are thinking of being able to afford one.
Are you saying that your husband is not good with matters of the vehicle itself like the mechanics of a typical car? Is he good with matters of the house like plumbing, electrical, woodwork, cabinetry, fixtures, around-the-house handyman things?

What is your spending budget? That would help with suggested motor homes to consider.

Please read through my comment in your other thread. If looking at older motor homes, that information would apply with emphasis.

Kimi_smama
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you! Have a great day everyone! 🙂

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Think of Class C as a Van with a motor home attached. You need to make sure that the Van portion is OK (takes auto mechanic) and that the motor home portion is OK (takes an RV tech or experienced RVer). RV's that aren't maintained properly are prone to water leaks which can create significant damage - not always obvious. Many who buy motorhomes aren't very mechanical when they start but RV's tend to have issues (many pretty small) and most become fairly adept at fixing things overtime.

Edit

If you provide your budget you might get better input.
Kevin

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another avenue is to looking at the Rental Market .In your situation, that strategy makes a lot of sense. You can get into a RV for a surprising figure!

Also have a RV that has had proper maintenance,they come with a 1 year or 12,000 mile power train warranty and 30 days on all major appliances.

There are more than 100 members that have done this and are very happy with their decision.

Welcome to the Forum and Good Luck in your search.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Kimi_smama
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your suggestions, we are anxious, but not in a hurry. Doing our homework.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Take your time, do a lot of research and ask lots of questions before you buy a RV of any type. Do not be in a hurry to buy.

Most RVers replace their tires at 6-10 years. RV tires usually age out before they wear out. Learn how to read tire codes to determine the age of tires. Don't go by just the tread depth.
A small roof leak can cause a lot of damage if not repaired quickly.
Learn how to look for signs of water damage, stains, soft spots, mildew etc..
There is a lot to learn but, it's not difficult, it's mostly fun stuff.

Start asking, someone will have the answer.. 🙂

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you are handy and looking for a long-term rebuilding project (many months), look for something that hasn't been wrecked and doesn't have water damage, even if it's comparatively old. Much water damage and you're fairly likely to be rebuilding significant parts of the structure. An older motorhome that is solid and dry may need occasional work or replacement of appliances and systems and so forth, but that is comparatively easy and quick and not always super expensive if you are handy...though some things are costly in any case.

It might help some if we had a little idea of what your budget was. I will say that motorhomes do require a good bit of maintenance and are not all that inexpensive to operate (fuel costs alone add up over a long trip), so if you can't afford that sort of money, it's probably better to look for e.g. a small trailer or consider tent camping or other forms of travel. A popup camper is a lot easier on the wallet to buy and use, and can be a great deal of fun...and offers a lot more creature comforts than a tent.