cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Salvage Title RV

Kimi_smama
Explorer
Explorer
Does anybody know any RV Auction sights that are legitimate? What are the best ones? We want to buy a motorhome. Thank you!
14 REPLIES 14

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Are you looking for a Salvsge RV Site?
Before you consider anything with a salvage title, contact your insurance company. Ask if they will insure a salvage title vehicle.

Also check with you state's DMV as you may have significant hurdles for registration. They may not allow registration at all, or it could not be an issue.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chum lee wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:
It will be nearly impossible to sell any vehicle with a salvage title.

In some states, you can NOT "repair" a flood damaged vehicle.

Not to be argumentative, just informative.

In California, in 1996, I personally bought (for pennies) a used 1986 Acura with a salvage title. The vehicle was salvaged because the PO's insurance company claimed the body damage exceeded 80% of the current Kelly Blue book market value and paid off the PO at the current book value. I repaired the car. To satisfy the DMV and my insurance company, I had to have the car inspected/certified by an authorized brake/headlight inspection/repair station and have it inspected and pass a current emissions test at a Cal. State Smog referee station. (not a regular smog test) It passed, I registered it and obtained a legal title. I drove it for a few months then sold it in California. I don't know if the next owner had any issues registering it, but, I never heard from him again. What I did was a real pain, and, I wouldn't do it again unless it was a much more expensive car. Where there is a will, there is a way.

That said, in California, there are some gross polluter regulations. Once your VIN# gets that classification, (it won't pass smog and the grace period expires) when/if the state has fund money, it may buy the car from you at a set price. If that happens, your car is going to the crusher. If the fund is depleted, your car will scrapped and it won't legally set foot on a California roadway again. These rules can and do change over time.

Chum lee

I owned what was considered a gross polluter,a 1986 K -5 Blazer, yes, the one with the 1K dollar computerized carburetor. It failed smog as a gross polluter so I had the carb rebuilt and it passed. I was required to have it smogged every year after that VS every other year.

My 1972 Nova SS timed out and didn't require smog any longer. That brought out a bigger engine and more HP, of course it only was on the street on the weekends.

The buy back program was voluntary. Many sweet muscle cars went to their grave because people saw the cash, which was maxed out at 600 per car, not very much for a nice 70's Camaro or Malibu.

Keep in mind, the money came from refineries . They financed the program because the state mandated that they curb emissions by a certain amount. Instead of updating their refineries they removed X numbers of non compliant vehicles to equal that amount.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:

Not to be argumentative, just informative.

In California, in 1996, I personally bought (for pennies) a used 1986 Acura with a salvage title. The vehicle was salvaged because the PO's insurance company claimed the body damage exceeded 80% of the current Kelly Blue book market value and paid off the PO at the current book value. I repaired the car. To satisfy the DMV and my insurance company, I had to have the car inspected/certified by an authorized brake/headlight inspection/repair station and have it inspected and pass a current emissions test at a Cal. State Smog referee station. (not a regular smog test) It passed, I registered it and obtained a legal title. I drove it for a few months then sold it in California. I don't know if the next owner had any issues registering it, but, I never heard from him again. What I did was a real pain, and, I wouldn't do it again unless it was a much more expensive car. Where there is a will, there is a way.

That said, in California, there are some gross polluter regulations. Once your VIN# gets that classification, (it won't pass smog and the grace period expires) when/if the state has fund money, it may buy the car from you at a set price. If that happens, your car is going to the crusher. If the fund is depleted, your car will scrapped and it won't legally set foot on a California roadway again. These rules can and do change over time.

Chum lee

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
There are TONS of fixer upper RV's listed in your local paper, craigslist etc. that would come WITH a title. I.E. people who let them sit, inherited them from a relative etc etc.

Why on earth would you want to sink a plethora of money in an RV without a title?? I would stay away from salvage RV lots like the plague.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
For what it's worth - inexperienced RVers should stay away from auction houses, repos, and salvaged title rigs. You may end up buying something that cost more to fix than it's worth.
Kevin

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
What are you looking for and at what price? before Id go into a wrecked unit I would look at craigslist or rvtrader etc for something in the price range you want. We have a lot of rv's on our craigslist that are reasonable in price, but without any knowledge of what you want to spend or are really looking for not much help will be available. Or are you looking for something almost new and cheap due to being in an accident? Even then you will be paying premium price due to the newness!

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Cranky ape sometimes has them.here
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Kimi_smama
Explorer
Explorer
Great, thank you so much for the suggestions! ๐Ÿ™‚

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Did you try doing a Google search for "damaged rv sales"? It comes up with lots of sites that are selling or auctioning off damaged RVs.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Repair of a salvaged title RV is not for the...ah...hobbyist, and pros donโ€™t touch them IMO. I suggest rehabbing a used RV not a salvage.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I purchased an TT on eBay sight unseen on the condition that I could void the purchase if I did not like it when I went to pick it up.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

Kimi_smama
Explorer
Explorer
I will not be getting a full coverage. My insurance co will not insure it. Just looking for something newer that I can afford to repair.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Are you looking for a Salvsge RV Site?
Before you consider anything with a salvage title, contact your insurance company. Ask if they will insure a salvage title vehicle.