Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie trying to buy 1st Used RV

saffikeagan
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

I'm an RV newbie looking to buy a used Class B+/C around Dallas, Tx, but I'm totally frustrated with the process. The private sellers I've been contacting are either flaking or running for the hills as soon as I mention having a mechanic inspect the vehicle (my inaugural trip will be a cross country move with 4 pets in tow...I need to make sure the RV can make the trip!)

The RV dealerships all seem to be reminiscent of 1980s used car lots. They have crappy reviews on yelp, and when I ask them about any certified used, or warranties, etc the responses I get are all along the lines of "we don't care what we are selling, it's 100% up to you to not buy a lemon." I don't necessarily mind, but the dealerships with used RVs are all a good hour away from me in places that I don't know how to get a mechanic to check out the RV for me.

At this point, I'm willing to spend more money than initially budgeted on a used RV if a dealer can help make sure I'm walking away with a decent vehicle, but IDK. Maybe I need to grow some anatomical parts to get more assistance.

I'd appreciate any advice, recommendations, leads, etc. I'm ready to scrap the whole idea, but I really want an RV.

Thanks,

Nicole
28 REPLIES 28

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing wrong with getting a survey. Standard way of doing things when buying a boat of any real size. If a seller has a problem with a survey, you really don't want to buy from him.

The reason for selling could make a difference. Lots of people buy mistakes then want to sell after only a year or so. If what they have is the model that you really really want & you have done the research to be sure that this is the right model for you then see if you can find one only a year or so old.

Bought ours from a private seller at 6 months old. The RV lifestyle turned out to be not for them & they wanted out in a big way.

Almost new is good. The bugs have been worked out. Biggest hit in depreciation. warrentees are still in date.

Don't be swayed into buying a mistake yourself because it seems like such a good deal. Before long you will regret it & it will be your turn to take the hit for buying the mistake.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Uhhh she hasn't been back in 2 months and was moving in 2 weeks per her orig posts.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Still_Searchin_
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, the last used trailer we bought (10 years old) was from a dealer whose father had owned it. I said I would need to plug it into electricity and make sure all systems worked: frig, A/C, micro, heater, hot water, etc. Dealer agreed and we bought the trailer the next day after frig had cooled down.
2011 Jayco Eagle Lite 256rks 28ft. travel trailer; Reese SC hitch
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500 6L w/3.73 differential
Member: TTN, Escapees, Good Sam
3x around USA, traveling about 6 mo/year

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2gypsies wrote:
I think you should rent a U-Haul.

And based on past experiences, if your finances allow, bypass UHaul and get something from Penske/Ryder. UHaul equipment has been junk more times than not when I've used them.
Been a while, may be their better now?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
saffikeagan wrote:
Do you know a place that will rent cargo vans for one way long distance? If so, pleas share! I've looked into that option, but can't find any company willing to do that. Best I could find is a passenger van with a "don't leave a single shred of pet hair in the vehicle or we will charge you out the a** to clean it" pet policy. *eye roll* my critters definitely aren't Sphynx's and shaved Chinese Crested.

Please keep the ideas and suggestions coming; the help is very much appreciated!

Buy a shop vac?

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I think you should rent a U-Haul.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
saffikeagan, as someone else said, a Jeep Wrangler is NOT a good tow vehicle for a travel trailer. Maybe a egg ot teardrop shaped trailer or popup/A-frame trailer.
By the way, the term RV can refer to a travel trailer, 5th wheel, popup or truck camper, not just Motorhomes. They are all recreational vehicles.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Also, look into the cost of moveable "pods" instead of a moving truck. the PODS brand is expensive, but other companies do something similar. When I moved to CO from CA, the U-Pack pod from ABF ended up being cheaper than renting a moving truck once gas was factored in, and it only took about a week to arrive at my new location. My parents did the same thing, only they did a U-Pack ABF trailer.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure where in CO you are going, but none of it is THAT far from TX, especially if you're driving a car.... it's 12 hours from Dallas to Denver so technically you could do it all in a day... my sister in law did San Antonio to Denver in one day in a car with a kid, a bird, and a dog. So I'd just suck it up for the 2 days it takes to get to CO and haul all the pets in your car with just a small overnight bag. I'm sure you can find a hotel or Air BnB somewhere along the way that will allow all the pets.

It wouldn't be the most fun 2 days but spending 10-20k on an older RV and then either having it break down along the way or realizing you don't like RVing sounds way less fun to me.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
saffikeagan wrote:
And two: I'm moving with two cats, a Sheltie, and an 80 lb Golden Retriever/Rottie Mix. I might be able to find a motel to accommodate the pets for an overnight with enough calling around, but that would mean that we would have to stick to a driving schedule tightly.

Take a look at this site:

https://www.petswelcome.com/

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You realistically only have a week or 2 to find one.
If you find one, great, but Dallas to Denver is only a 1-2 day drive.
You have a moving van and a little car, so enough room for 2 drivers and pets.
Hotels take pets, but if you don't want to do that, just drive straight through, presuming your timing the move after closing so you have the house already.
Either way hotel and pets is not a big deal. Cats are crated I presume.

Yes $10k is buyer beware unless you stumble on a great find. And even the great deals are likely to need something done and does not sound like you're in the position to do much work to it before the trip.
On the upside, all you have to do is test drive it like a car and look at the normal stuff you would when buying a used car.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
It may also be more practical to buy a decent used cargo van for $10K (or less)...and be able to resell it at the other end for about the same amount of money. For that matter, you could probably find a reasonably reliable older (smallish) box truck for that amount of money, one that is light enough to not require a CDL if that is important to you. I assume that a non-CDL box truck would be easier to sell than a barely-CDL one, but I could be mistaken about that.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
UHaul, Ryder, Enterprise all rent cargo vans of various sizes

saffikeagan
Explorer
Explorer
Do you know a place that will rent cargo vans for one way long distance? If so, pleas share! I've looked into that option, but can't find any company willing to do that. Best I could find is a passenger van with a "don't leave a single shred of pet hair in the vehicle or we will charge you out the a** to clean it" pet policy. *eye roll* my critters definitely aren't Sphynx's and shaved Chinese Crested.

Please keep the ideas and suggestions coming; the help is very much appreciated!