cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Challenging Road Conditions in Australia

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
You occasionally run into situations like thisChallenging conditions in Australia
15 REPLIES 15

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
RobertRyan wrote:
Like you get in many Australian States minus the roads under constant repair. What you do not get in the US is the massive graded dirt graded roads that you find in Western Australia, Northern Territory, Queensland South Australia and the inaccessible parts of New South Wales

There are thousands of miles of unimproved dirt roads in the US, the major difference is that for the most part you don't travel on them to get between towns and cities. A notable exception is the Dalton Highway in Alaska which I hear is pretty nasty in places, but then again much of interior Alaska is not accessible by road at all.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
All this Australia talk makes me want to find a bakery and get some meat pies (especially if they have a tradie special).
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
Actually Indiana has the typical Midwestern mix of roads; highways connecting cities, city street under constant repair and rural areas with paved and dirt roads.

Small town roads in the southern part of the state make for great motorcycle riding; 1 1/2 lanes of twisty pavement through wooded hills and valleys.

Like you get in many Australian States minus the roads under constant repair. What you do not get in the US is the massive graded dirt graded roads that you find in Western Australia, Northern Territory, Queensland South Australia and the inaccessible parts of New South Wales

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Actually Indiana has the typical Midwestern mix of roads; highways connecting cities, city street under constant repair and rural areas with paved and dirt roads.

Small town roads in the southern part of the state make for great motorcycle riding; 1 1/2 lanes of twisty pavement through wooded hills and valleys.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
We have bad roads in Indiana also. ๐Ÿ™‚

Indiana is small state been there. Talking of 2000miles of mainly graded dirt roads

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
We have bad roads in Indiana also. ๐Ÿ™‚
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
I watched a series called Outback Truckers, and the conditions they drive big rigs in are just insane.

I noticed two spare tires on the back of the trailer, probably a good idea!

Not many in the US have any idea of how severe conditions are in Australia once you get into the real outback

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
I watched a series called Outback Truckers, and the conditions they drive big rigs in are just insane.

I noticed two spare tires on the back of the trailer, probably a good idea!
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
treyster wrote:
Terrific video footage

Amazing what a drone does

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I'd be worried about slime etc. on the roadway and the water pushing me off.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Aussies take their caravans everywhere.
Around here people are looking for flat routes on the pavement.

treyster
Explorer
Explorer
Terrific video footage

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know. It looks like a typical day in the eastern U.S. this past summer. ๐Ÿ™‚

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think that was a bad decision franchising that KOA or Jellystone Park you were heading to along a road that crosses a dam spillway. Or was it a Thousand Trails Park? LoL.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?