cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kwikee step issue

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
I am attempting to replace my Kwikee steps. The old steps broke (again) and were very rusty, so I purchased new Kwikee steps. The new steps fit perfect. I have read the operators manual 6 times but I can not get them to extend when I open the door not retract when I close the door. I did no new wiring. The magnet on the door is the same. The plug wires match the old steps but the run backwards. There is a switch I can flip to keep them open when parked which I have turned on and off trying the steps in each position. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

GGeorge
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty
16 REPLIES 16

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The NEWER steps, less than 10 years old use a normally OPEN magnetic switch. The older ones used a normally CLOSED magnetic switch. Doug

PS, you cannot swap old style controllers with a new style controller.

DewLess
Explorer
Explorer
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HmAwcyRN3MDKuJeF6

DewLess
Explorer
Explorer
Not wanting to hi-jack thread, but can anyone point me to a wiring diagram of this type controler. Operator arm broke, replaced and step quit,, motor works independently of controler

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
GGeorge wrote:
No noise or click. The steps operate, but they operate in reverse. When the door is closed the steps are open, when the door is open the steps are in except when I use the switch. When I turn on the key the steps open.

Yup. that is diagnostic.. If you still have the old steps swap the control module from the old to the new.

As I said above (If it posted) Kwikee has an "old" and a "New" controller. THe old controller.. AS I RECALL. if the door switch was OPEN the steps retracted and if the door switch was CLOSED the steps etended.

The NEW controller works the exact opposite. Just swappign teh controllers and it will be as you think it should be. they are swappable though you may need to drill a hole for a mounting screw in the baseplate on the steps.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Quickee has two different step controllers. THey are Significantly DIFFRENT in physical shape. they use DIFFERENT door switches.

IF your old one was a rectangular box and your new one is triangular. that' sthe problem.

Oh they also use different ovrride/power switches (The "STEPS" switch inside the RV)

The good news You may be able to swap the controllers.

Other than being a different shape, how does the square, potted solid state controller differ from the trapezoid or triangular controller differ?

Do you happen to have a manual for the steps that included the first issue of the potted controller and one of the newest ones? I don't think the switches are really different. As Doug said, an RV made in 2014 will have the 909510000 controller. All of my manuals for the steps used for the Series 32 steps show exactly the same circuitry for them. IIRC, the first potted controller was a 909560000 and the current controller is 909510000 and basically they all provide the same functions.

If the "DOOR" switch you are referring to is the magnetically operated switch they are Normally Open switches. The old color coded, open case controllers used a Normally Closed magnetic switch. If the Override/Power switch you are referring to is the one referred to as the Step switch, it is still a Single Pole, Single Throw switch. They just changed the name from Override to Step switch. It is still just a single circuit, ON/OFF switch.

Checking the operation of the light is a quick check, but what if the light bulb has failed. It is easiest for a novice to follow the trouble shooting section of the manual. Doug knows tricks and does it differently and his way is great for those of us who know what he is doing but for the first time repairer, follow the manual.

I have the 1999 Manual #867 for the installation of the Electric Step Replacement Kit, prior to 1999 the steps used a Delco Field wound motor and a normally closed door magnetic switch. All motors since then have been permanent magnet motors, and potted controllers and use NO magnetic switches.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
You don't state for sure you have the 2014 model. IF you have the 2014 model, then swap out the door magnet with the one that came with the new steps. The step controller is the same, they changed them over 10 years ago. IF you have the incorrect magnetic switch, the steps will do what you are experiencing. Doug

Doug is normally right on target and this time is no different, listen to him.

I just went through this step replacement on a 2008 Beaver Patriot Thunder with it working backwards and the door magnet switch had to be changed which cured it.
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You don't state for sure you have the 2014 model. IF you have the 2014 model, then swap out the door magnet with the one that came with the new steps. The step controller is the same, they changed them over 10 years ago. IF you have the incorrect magnetic switch, the steps will do what you are experiencing. Doug

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
GGeorge wrote:
No noise or click. The steps operate, but they operate in reverse. When the door is closed the steps are open, when the door is open the steps are in except when I use the switch. When I turn on the key the steps open.

I have been told that there is a difference in models that use a different switch.

From my perspective, I have seen way too many people buying new controllers, and motors because their stairs wont work when the problem is a simple design flaw that can be fixed with a piece of plastic from a soda bottle cap and crazy glue.

I have also seen many people drive themselves crazy with switches and wiring when another design flaw cause the steps to retract when the door is open and extend when the door is close. This fix is nothing but maybe the cost of a new cotter pin if the old one can't be reused.

From what I have seen the main focus is to spend money and replace versus just fixing what is wrong. But, since there are different models, You may want to just follow the popular remedies if it fixes the problem.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Quickee has two different step controllers. THey are Significantly DIFFRENT in physical shape. they use DIFFERENT door switches.

IF your old one was a rectangular box and your new one is triangular. that' sthe problem.

Oh they also use different ovrride/power switches (The "STEPS" switch inside the RV)

The good news You may be able to swap the controllers.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

GGeorge
Explorer
Explorer
GGeorge
Marietta, Ohio
2014 Coachmen Encounter
2010 Jeep Liberty

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
A bit confused, are yo saying the steps do not work at all, or that they operate in reverse? If not working at all, does the step have a light? If it has a light check to see if the light comes on when the door is open, or when the door is close.

When you open or close the door, do you hear a slight click from the motor area?
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
MountainAir05 wrote:
Not knowing which step you have, I found that they change the wiring on some. The instructions for the step explains that the KILL switch by the door operates in reverse if you do NOT change it also. For some reason Kwikee reversed the way the KILL switch operates. ON is OFF now and Vice Versa. I also found the same wording here on the forum, post by Doug.

The switch is the same, they just labeled it backwards from the original switch. It confused people. But, the switch is just a standard Open and closed switch. ON or OFF, nothing fancy. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
There is no new wiring on Kwikee steps. The ONLY difference is the door magnet switch. Your profile lists a 2014 Motorhome. That means your existing magnetic switch is the correct one for the new steps. Older(more than 10 years and older) Kwikee steps had a different magnet. You CANNOT make the steps stay retracted. They have a LAST OUT feature that will ALWAYS extend the steps when the door is opened. Regardless of where the ON/Off inside switch is on or off. The inside wall ON/OFF switch keeps the steps extended when it is turned off and you close the door. The YELLOW wire in the 4 wire plug is a IGNITION ON hot wire that tells the steps to retract if the door is closed and you have the steps locked out to stay extended. Verify that the Yellow wire is dead, has NO 12 volts with the Ignition key OFF. Doug

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not knowing which step you have, I found that they change the wiring on some. The instructions for the step explains that the KILL switch by the door operates in reverse if you do NOT change it also. For some reason Kwikee reversed the way the KILL switch operates. ON is OFF now and Vice Versa. I also found the same wording here on the forum, post by Doug.