Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Kwikee step issue
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Kwikee step issue

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 05:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You don't state for sure you have the 2014 model. IF you have the 2014 model, then swap out the door magnet with the one that came with the new steps. The step controller is the same, they changed them over 10 years ago. IF you have the incorrect magnetic switch, the steps will do what you are experiencing. Doug

hypoxia

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/18 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

You don't state for sure you have the 2014 model. IF you have the 2014 model, then swap out the door magnet with the one that came with the new steps. The step controller is the same, they changed them over 10 years ago. IF you have the incorrect magnetic switch, the steps will do what you are experiencing. Doug

Doug is normally right on target and this time is no different, listen to him.

I just went through this step replacement on a 2008 Beaver Patriot Thunder with it working backwards and the door magnet switch had to be changed which cured it.

Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/18 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

Quickee has two different step controllers. THey are Significantly DIFFRENT in physical shape. they use DIFFERENT door switches.

IF your old one was a rectangular box and your new one is triangular. that' sthe problem.

Oh they also use different ovrride/power switches (The "STEPS" switch inside the RV)

The good news You may be able to swap the controllers.

Other than being a different shape, how does the square, potted solid state controller differ from the trapezoid or triangular controller differ?

Do you happen to have a manual for the steps that included the first issue of the potted controller and one of the newest ones? I don't think the switches are really different. As Doug said, an RV made in 2014 will have the 909510000 controller. All of my manuals for the steps used for the Series 32 steps show exactly the same circuitry for them. IIRC, the first potted controller was a 909560000 and the current controller is 909510000 and basically they all provide the same functions.

If the "DOOR" switch you are referring to is the magnetically operated switch they are Normally Open switches. The old color coded, open case controllers used a Normally Closed magnetic switch. If the Override/Power switch you are referring to is the one referred to as the Step switch, it is still a Single Pole, Single Throw switch. They just changed the name from Override to Step switch. It is still just a single circuit, ON/OFF switch.

Checking the operation of the light is a quick check, but what if the light bulb has failed. It is easiest for a novice to follow the trouble shooting section of the manual. Doug knows tricks and does it differently and his way is great for those of us who know what he is doing but for the first time repairer, follow the manual.

I have the 1999 Manual #867 for the installation of the Electric Step Replacement Kit, prior to 1999 the steps used a Delco Field wound motor and a normally closed door magnetic switch. All motors since then have been permanent magnet motors, and potted controllers and use NO magnetic switches.

* This post was edited 10/12/18 09:15am by D.E.Bishop *

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
Back to a 2006 Suzi GV
Roadmaster 5000
Roadmaster Invisibrake

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GGeorge wrote:

No noise or click. The steps operate, but they operate in reverse. When the door is closed the steps are open, when the door is open the steps are in except when I use the switch. When I turn on the key the steps open.

Yup. that is diagnostic.. If you still have the old steps swap the control module from the old to the new.

As I said above (If it posted) Kwikee has an "old" and a "New" controller. THe old controller.. AS I RECALL. if the door switch was OPEN the steps retracted and if the door switch was CLOSED the steps etended.

The NEW controller works the exact opposite. Just swappign teh controllers and it will be as you think it should be. they are swappable though you may need to drill a hole for a mounting screw in the baseplate on the steps.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

DewLess

North Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not wanting to hi-jack thread, but can anyone point me to a wiring diagram of this type controler. Operator arm broke, replaced and step quit,, motor works independently of controler
[image]

DewLess

North Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HmAwcyRN3MDKuJeF6

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/18 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The NEWER steps, less than 10 years old use a normally OPEN magnetic switch. The older ones used a normally CLOSED magnetic switch. Doug

PS, you cannot swap old style controllers with a new style controller.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Kwikee step issue
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS