cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How primitive of terrain are you comfortable traversing?

presh223
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

What level of terrain are you comfortable taking your full-size truck campers on?
My previous camper setup was moderately aggressive-terrain friendly it was a 2002 Chevy Silverado 4x4 with a Northstar 650 pop up cabover truck camper. It weighed 1,250 approx. I recall traversing some narrow canyon roads in Eastern WA and when any tires would enter a huge dirt hole It would feel like the camper was shaking back and forth. A few times over a steep embankment, I would experience the biggest adrenaline rushes because I thought “it was it” like I was going to take the tumble. Camper was secure and didn’t seem to move in the bed, just the rocking was scary. It would take me approx 45 mins to reach where I made camp because I was driving 2-3 mph average. In a vacant truck, it would take 5 mins.

New to me setup:
2013 Ford F350 Diesel
2002 Arctic Fox 990

So based on my previous setup and it’s low center of gravity due to it being a pop-up, I wonder if it is even a viable idea to reach this same place (or places similar). As many of you know, this camper is almost comically large when mounted on a truck, and weighs 3x’s my previous.

So what am I actually asking? How primitive of roads have you guys taken your campers on? Things to look out for, warning signs, things you absolutely wouldn't do, Pitches, banks, etc. I almost didn’t buy this camper because I didn’t think it would be suitable for deep woods, but I will be using it as an off-grid home for at least one year, so the slide appeal and features really attracted me.
In the canyon I like the most in Eastern WA, there are 2 “steeper” areas, and I don’t know how comfortable I would be with that camper.

I like to reach desolate areas of Eastern WA where the Subarus can’t go. They all get stuck within .25 miles and like to go deep to set up camp and do minimalist survival stuff and use the camper as a “base”. Also, love to bring my dirtbike out there. It’s the epitome of a perfect weekend.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

15 REPLIES 15

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
jimh425 wrote:
I’ve been over many of the forest service roads in Blewett Pass up to Loup Loup with mine. I think that for the most part, you need to slow down. Most of the roads that are wide enough for a camper should be fine.

I have to get that way and check it out more.
I've spent a fair amount of time in the Gifford Pinchot around MT Adams and St. Helens.
Some time around Winthrop to Conconully and Cle Elum to Alpine Lakes.

presh223
Explorer
Explorer
Artum Snowbird wrote:
Most things in the upper cabinets will be all over the floor unless you do some serious work to keep the doors shut and the loads inside the cabinets in non slip bins.

The possibility of hooking a camper leg or getting towed with the load on is scary enough. I do not know whether you could be towed backwards with the camper on. I don't think you can get past the Suburu's anymore.

My Snowbird was a slide 9'6 and I did not feel happy taking it off the beaten path very far at all.

At a minimum I would put a wooden frame from camper sides and front to the sides and front of the box to hold it in place from slipping forward or sideways. Both front and back spring loaded tie downs should pull the unit forward, and the wooden frame in the front should hold the bottom of the camper away from the rim of the pickup box by a couple of inches.

Not a bad idea about the wooden frame. I don't know how much wiggle room I have in there, what size wood stock would you use? I think the width doesn't leave any room in between the truck wheel wells, maybe an inch, but I could maybe used 4x4 wood blocks as intermediate bracing.

presh223
Explorer
Explorer
jefe 4x4 wrote:
Most of the answer is how good the operator is at slowly adding fixes until you get to your own equilibrium. It's taken me a bout 10 years to get my ancient Lance Lite (wood frame; 1842 pounds, wet; 200w solar; PD4645; no air conditioning; no oven; no microwave; all heavy objects down low) to the place where I have confidence in its ability to get to the destination. There are so many factors that are in play with your build,most of them to the truck itself.
So, the driver's experience is the determining factor on when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em on the trail. Here are a few vids of Anza taken 6 months ago: click on link to open my drop box.
You may have to put these addys in your browser to open:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xg1lwe92448ry7z/Mogols%20at%20great%20sand%20hill%20Anza.m4v?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0j10uxr4sn8jrx/end%20Sandstone%20Cyn%20Anza.m4v?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ns02z7g1q1jhu0r/up%20a%20rocky%20cyn%20Anza.m4v?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y9nfstvqf6hk4ab/up%20Fish%20Cr.%20Anza.m4v?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bfj5y93wsd7vfkw/jefe%20does%20sand%20hill%20at%20dry%20wash%20of%20the%20devil%20Anza.m4v?dl=0

Take your pick: jump right in and find out where your own red line falls.

Alright, on edit I think your camper is too heavy for hard core off-road use. Mine is right at 2700 pounds, loaded for bear. Why so light? Small tanks; the smallest; lightest; least tall; least wide Lance camper made 20 years ago. It is still sought after by folks who want the smallest footprint and still have a hard side with all the major amenities for traveling for 6 days, 6 months, or 6 years in every season, every weather, every road condition. I could not do this without a lot of trial and error at the beginning on what works off road and what doesn't.

jefe

Just wow, seeing your first picture is quite impressive. That's the stuff I am referencing. I could it in my pop up, but I don't think I could do it in the current setup, or at least wouldn't or shouldn't. Ultimately, I am outfitting the bike into an "adventure style" with racks, so if my truck and camper can't make it, at least I will still be able to. Seeing your pics really impresses upon me how capable our stuff is. I still want to get a no-slide lighter lance someday, but I bought this truck specifically to handle this camper because the deal was too good to pass up. Off camber inclines and declines were my biggest concern, but with how much these things weigh, I don't see them shifting anywhere. By the time it shifts you're probably looking at catastrophic damage anyway, lol.

Bedlam
I limit my camper to about 10 degree slopes and am usually towing. I have off-road toys with me to explore more difficult terrain and do not camp in it. The toys let me scout the path ahead before I attempt to take the camper there.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

presh223
Explorer
Explorer
Tiger4x4RV wrote:
You can tweak your already capable-sounding setup by lowering the weight. Put stuff inside on the floor instead of in upper cabinets. Don't laugh. I've done it and it does help somewhat.

Go slowly. Don't go into anything you if cannot back out of it or see a turnaround area ahead of you. Walk ahead and scout it.

Maybe leave the bike off on the bad parts and hike back to get it?

Do you have a co-pilot/spotter? Very helpful in the sticky spots.

Your truck's high clearance may enable you to leave those pesky Subarus behind. without much effort.

Stay safe!

Everything in my older camper usually ended up on the floor after the vibration of these roads lol. Good idea about the bike. The main concern is just grade of incline and decline. Most other stuff like the big holes are annoying, but you just have to go really slow with them and pick your lines.

broark01
Explorer
Explorer
My 1172 sticks out pretty far past my rear axle, consequently it is prone to dragging when crossing wash outs or drainage ditches depending on approach and exit. Dirt roads inclines, declines, undulations etc no problem.

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the answer is how good the operator is at slowly adding fixes until you get to your own equilibrium. It's taken me a bout 10 years to get my ancient Lance Lite (wood frame; 1842 pounds, wet; 200w solar; PD4645; no air conditioning; no oven; no microwave; all heavy objects down low) to the place where I have confidence in its ability to get to the destination. There are so many factors that are in play with your build,most of them to the truck itself.
So, the driver's experience is the determining factor on when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em on the trail. Here are a few vids of Anza taken 6 months ago: click on link to open my drop box.
You may have to put these addys in your browser to open:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xg1lwe92448ry7z/Mogols%20at%20great%20sand%20hill%20Anza.m4v?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0j10uxr4sn8jrx/end%20Sandstone%20Cyn%20Anza.m4v?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ns02z7g1q1jhu0r/up%20a%20rocky%20cyn%20Anza.m4v?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y9nfstvqf6hk4ab/up%20Fish%20Cr.%20Anza.m4v?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bfj5y93wsd7vfkw/jefe%20does%20sand%20hill%20at%20dry%20wash%20of%20the%20devil%20Anza.m4v?dl=0

Take your pick: jump right in and find out where your own red line falls.

Alright, on edit I think your camper is too heavy for hard core off-road use. Mine is right at 2700 pounds, loaded for bear. Why so light? Small tanks; the smallest; lightest; least tall; least wide Lance camper made 20 years ago. It is still sought after by folks who want the smallest footprint and still have a hard side with all the major amenities for traveling for 6 days, 6 months, or 6 years in every season, every weather, every road condition. I could not do this without a lot of trial and error at the beginning on what works off road and what doesn't.

jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
jimh saying “slow down” is great advice!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
99% of our camping is off road on unimproved 2 tracks. never been a problem. Like Jim, I'm usually in 4L and idling along. I keep everything of substance and weigh as low in the camper as possible. Never had issue one. Speed kills, especially off road.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I’ve been over many of the forest service roads in Blewett Pass up to Loup Loup with mine. I think that for the most part, you need to slow down. Most of the roads that are wide enough for a camper should be fine.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Most things in the upper cabinets will be all over the floor unless you do some serious work to keep the doors shut and the loads inside the cabinets in non slip bins.

The possibility of hooking a camper leg or getting towed with the load on is scary enough. I do not know whether you could be towed backwards with the camper on. I don't think you can get past the Suburu's anymore.

My Snowbird was a slide 9'6 and I did not feel happy taking it off the beaten path very far at all.

At a minimum I would put a wooden frame from camper sides and front to the sides and front of the box to hold it in place from slipping forward or sideways. Both front and back spring loaded tie downs should pull the unit forward, and the wooden frame in the front should hold the bottom of the camper away from the rim of the pickup box by a couple of inches.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
You can tweak your already capable-sounding setup by lowering the weight. Put stuff inside on the floor instead of in upper cabinets. Don't laugh. I've done it and it does help somewhat.

Go slowly. Don't go into anything you if cannot back out of it or see a turnaround area ahead of you. Walk ahead and scout it.

Maybe leave the bike off on the bad parts and hike back to get it?

Do you have a co-pilot/spotter? Very helpful in the sticky spots.

Your truck's high clearance may enable you to leave those pesky Subarus behind. without much effort.

Stay safe!
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

presh223
Explorer
Explorer
sbryan@vtbryans.com wrote:
I can't speak to the Arctic Fox but the F350, properly setup, is a very capable vehicle. Our 2013 F350 4wd has been in some pretty rough places with the Igloo on board. The Igloo is around 3,400 pounds wet and fully loaded with gear for travel. In Alaska we did some pretty rough off road stuff but no rock crawling or crazy off camber stuff. Your 990 will weigh more than my Northstar. Get some really good tires, add at least stableloads and either sumo springs or similar and then try it out to see how it performs. Your center of gravity is probably higher than mine too, so that may limit your off camber travels. But logging roads, fire roads and the like shouldn't be much of an issue.

Thank you for your insight. I forgot to mention I bought ride rite 5000 lb suspension airbags which I'll be installing this week. I think the wet weight according to the tag is 3,600lbs on mine, but I'll have it loaded with the dirtbike and I'm sure I will be closer to 4,400. I guess common sense is key, but I was primarily concerned with some of the angles of the road, like I said 2 of them are precarious loaded with a camper, you wouldn't even think about it with just the truck, it would be fun and you could do it fast even, but I don't know. I guess I'll have to try and see. I just didn't want to severely limit my accessibility of terrain with this setup.

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't speak to the Arctic Fox but the F350, properly setup, is a very capable vehicle. Our 2013 F350 4wd has been in some pretty rough places with the Igloo on board. The Igloo is around 3,400 pounds wet and fully loaded with gear for travel. In Alaska we did some pretty rough off road stuff but no rock crawling or crazy off camber stuff. Your 990 will weigh more than my Northstar. Get some really good tires, add at least stableloads and either sumo springs or similar and then try it out to see how it performs. Your center of gravity is probably higher than mine too, so that may limit your off camber travels. But logging roads, fire roads and the like shouldn't be much of an issue.
Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired