cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First time to Helen,Ga.

Fuzion_322
Explorer
Explorer
Going to Helen, Ga. for the first time the week of October 20 . I will be staying at Bolding Mill COE in Gainesville, Ga. Any must thing to see or do ?
2016 Ram Laramie Mega Cab 6.7 Cummins 4x4 Dually
24k Pullrite Superglide
2022 Vanleigh Beacon 34RLB
Geaux Tigers and Saints
10 REPLIES 10

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
We go to Helen every year during the month of October. Sure, its quite a bit touristy and very gimmickry, but overall its just a fun place to go. About the only traffic you'll experience is when you are going through the middle of town. Otherwise, its smooth sailing. I agree that Helen is quite a hike from Gainesville, but since there's not all that many attractions in the region, its worth the ride. Primarily, though, the nighttime is the best time to be there. Enjoy the atmosphere and quirkiness.

Anna Ruby, Brasstown Bald, Amacolola Falls...all good places. Not familiar with Gainesville though. There's a putt-putt golf place in the middle of town on top of the hill that we visit every year. Unbelievably nice people who own/operate it. GO to Betty's country store for a little taste of something different. There is nice hiking trail between Unicoi State Park and the town of Helen that we also do annually. If you want apples, there's really no place better or worse than the others. You can make a longer hike to the orchards themselves and pay a few dollars less...not worth it. And Fred's Famous Peanuts...IMO not so famous for anything special.

We go there just to hang out and relax and take in some pretty weather. We'll be there this week and can't wait!
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

Ramp_Digger
Explorer
Explorer
The Richard Russell scenic hwy is a very nice day drive with some short hiking trails along located its corridor. I think it is also known as ga hwy 348? also a nice day trip with a terrific view over in Hiawassee is the Bell MT County park.No rvs at all up to that one.
05 dodge 3500 cummins diesel, 8.5 alaskan on flatbed

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Up the road is Robertsville, not very far, which is Fred's Famous Peanuts. Fred's Famous Peanuts It's a MUST STOP. Gotta have their fried peanuts, and peach cider. Just a roadside stand that is out of this world with it's peanut products. Peanut brittle is also to die for.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lots of people seem to like Helen, it is super busy in the fall. It's not my cup if tea, but I had a co-worker go last week, ansld he raved about it. It's mainly tacky tourist trap stores in "German" looking buildings, it kinda looks stuck in the 70's. There are some decent restaurants, with German food, and lots of beer.

Bolding Mill is a nice campground on the Lake, Its actually closer to Dahlonega than Helen, and I prefer Dahlonega, it is a nicer area to me. The mountains should be really nice, and be in close to peak leaf color time. There are great drives through the mountains, and tons of hiking trails. Lots of things to do, it just depends on your likes. I'd rather spend my days hiking, but do enjoy going into town for a nice dinner.

Since you are from LA, it will be a change of scenery, and I'm sure you will enjoy the mountains, I'm about 2.5 hours south of there, and I'm just trying to coordinate my kids schedules and get a day trip to the area in the next month.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Gainesville is a ways from Helen, which is a cosmic tourist trap anyway. What do you think you're going to do in Helen?
-jbh-

sealevel_ram
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Be prepared for lots of stop and go traffic, and big crowds. Helen is basically just a tourist trap, but to each his own!

Second this post.
Be prepared for junk stores and rude clerks.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green

A_hitch_and_hop
Explorer
Explorer
Take the tour through the gold mine.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Be prepared for lots of stop and go traffic, and big crowds. Helen is basically just a tourist trap, but to each his own!

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
Helen has a great Octoberfest all month long. Go to Anna Ruby Falls along with Brasstown Bald. The colors from the trees while driving to Brasstown Bald are gorgeous. Brasstown Bald is the highest point in Georgia and when you go to the top, you see 4 states. There is a restaraunt that I think is in Clarksville called the The Attic. Good food and great atmosphere in a very small town. Lots of neat small towns in the area to visit.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
On your way home the Infantry Museum at Ft. Bending near Columbus.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad