Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Anybody tried the new Recreation.gov website?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Anybody tried the new Recreation.gov website?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
wxtoad

Sturbridge MA

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/18 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mikestock wrote:

"Other than the better maps I would like to hear what particular features you like better."

I like the fact that it is a lot "cleaner" looking than the old site and it's easier to toggle among the various tabs without waiting for an entire page to open as before, so it's quicker to pick out number of sites, fees and season.

However, I will admit that there doesn't seem to be as much general information about each location as there used to be - I miss that, since I'm trying to gather as much info about each spot as possible. In the case of US Forest Service locations, the Forest Service is still maintaining their own websites on each facility, so you can always Google that.

As I noted in my original post, their availability chart ought to be in two-week blocks as it used to be.

My ideal model for all federal facilities would be an interactive map similar to the US Forest Service Interactive Visitor Map, but including BLM, COE, NPS, BOR, FWS and any other federal locations as well. The BLM last year published their own version of a similar-style map. I contacted both BLM and USFS to suggest that they pool their efforts on a single map - no response. The COE has its own map. Wouldn't it be really slick to have all these various sources on one map?

The map I'd like to see should also include latitude/longitude on the border of the area showing to make finding places a little easier. Or even better, show the coordinates when the mouse pauses on a location. The map would have icons for all the locations; clicking on an icon would take you the website for that location. From there there should be a link to the reservation page for each spot.

Too bad web designers wouldn't reach out to users to try to learn what features would be most useful BEFORE they design the site.

Ted H.

2005 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath
NE13

StarkNaked

West Seattle, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/18 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those of you that want to see a larger block of days on the "Check Availability" screen, click the "Expand Table" button. When you do, you will see a full 16 days on one screen.

bobsallyh

Livingston, TX.

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/18 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Itsy RV, you said it all!

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/18 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bukhrn wrote:

Phil M wrote:

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

In my experience the biggest problem here is the ".gov" at the end. The government procedure with any equipment or systems is "Keep Fixing It Until it is Broken. Will not say what I did prior to retiring however was quite a few different positions.
X-2, I don't understand why when something actually works good, someone sees a need to make it better, especially when it doesn't come out that way.
The little bit I've pawed around in the new site, it sucks.

You gotta understand, MANY people griped about the old web site, not sure why, but the government decided to rebid the whole thing and the new site is a DIFFERENT VENDOR than previous and I am guessing they were not given anything to get started with. I can imagine starting up a whole site like this and fine tuning it can take a lot of hours and manpower to make it happen.

Its NOT someone in government "seeing a need to make it better".

The old site was quite good about giving you links to sites they didn't handle reservations or information for. They would usually have basic info about the site, and then say that further info and reservations could be found at XYZ web site, be it USDA Forest Service, COE or whatever. Remember, the vendor for the OLD REC...GOV is the same company that provides reservations systems for thirty some odd state park systems. I would liked to see improvements, but really didn't want to see this.

Charles

wxtoad

Sturbridge MA

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StarkNaked wrote:

For those of you that want to see a larger block of days on the "Check Availability" screen, click the "Expand Table" button. When you do, you will see a full 16 days on one screen.

That's true, but when you want to view the next set of dates ahead, it only steps forward in 5-day increments. Instead of a "Next 5 days" button, it ought to be a "Next 14 days" button.

Ted H.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The previous site was operated by Aspira, the same folks that run ReserveAmerica. The winning bidder for the Recreation.gov contract was Booz Allen Hamilton, a consulting and digital solutions company. I'm sure the new site will have some infancy issues as they get up to speed, but I didn't find the new setup difficult to use. I had no problems booking a favorite site for next April at Lake Powhatan CG in the Pisgah National Forest near Asheville, NC.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From reading on another RV forum it sounds like they're still loading content. Should get better as time goes on.
I miss the old site though.

fdwt994

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I find it difficult to navigate, particularly when searching for available sites. Also, less photos of sites are available, and only my most recent stay is listed in my history, unlike the previous site that showed several years back.

2018 F250 6.2 Crew Cab
2018 Salem Hemisphere GLX 312QBUD
A family who loves to camp!

dennis1

Seattle, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/18 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terrible. My favorite CG they go the wrong CG MAP. IT ALL WRONG. They forgot to show start date for opening of the Campground. Big waste of revenue to fix something that was perfectly fine. Lots of holes in there system. Don’t show reservable and open sites in a map. Map wrong so make me wonder if I am reserving the correct site that I always reserve. Going to be headache that the Camp Host is going to have to straighten out daily. Probably going to be a nightmare for them.

My new DRW and camper on the truck the first time.

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/18 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fdwt994 wrote:

I find it difficult to navigate, particularly when searching for available sites. Also, less photos of sites are available, and only my most recent stay is listed in my history, unlike the previous site that showed several years back.
only my last 4 are shown, also, I see NO Maps, CG or location. So they're still working on it, mean time you're SOL if you want to use it now. Why didn't they wait till they had it finished & tested BEFORE taking the old site down. [emoticon] [emoticon]

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Anybody tried the new Recreation.gov website?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS